- A police union is urging its officers to post ‘The Punisher’ logo Monday 7:33 PM
- Redditors call for a Nestlé boycott through memes Monday 6:16 PM
- How a 10-second Disney jingle became a meme in Thailand Monday 4:48 PM
- Instagram users share photos showing gruesome killing of 17-year-old Bianca Devins Monday 4:33 PM
- The horror game banned for mocking China’s president probably isn’t coming back Monday 3:31 PM
- Cheap vibrators, condoms, and lube: The most satisfying Amazon Prime Day deals Monday 3:07 PM
- George R.R. Martin says fan backlash won’t affect his ‘Game of Thrones’ ending Monday 3:03 PM
- The very finest Area 51 memes Monday 2:52 PM
- Tweet map ranks states where people are boycotting Amazon Prime Day Monday 1:54 PM
- Lil Nas X says he will perform at Area 51 for free Monday 12:56 PM
- The best Prime Day deals for gamers Monday 12:53 PM
- How Republicans are dancing around Trump’s racist tweets Monday 12:42 PM
- Not even anti-immigrant groups are defending Trump’s ‘go back’ tweets Monday 12:37 PM
- Netflix’s latest chase thriller ‘Point Blank’ lacks electricity Monday 12:27 PM
- Jay Inslee floats Megan Rapinoe as his secretary of state pick Monday 11:33 AM
Twitch-famous bounty hunter kicks down target’s door in wildly popular live stream
One of the more surprising additions to the weird world of IRL Twitch streaming is bounty hunting.
Although somewhat new ground, the subcategory of live streaming violates none of Twitch’s terms of service or community guidelines and has found a home in the ‘’Just Chatting” section of the website. The practice seems to be allowed under the rationale that these are professional bounty hunters simply streaming their work instead of streamers newly taking up bounty hunting. So this is more of a do-it-yourself Dog the Bounty Hunter situation rather than Twitch streaming straight-up vigilantism.
The practice is niche but growing. Twitch streamer StephenIRL is a prominent figure in the bounty hunting streaming community and recently had a few clips of his exploits go viral.
“Warrant services! You need to come out with your hands up!” shouts Stephen as he kicks in a locked door while pursuing a target to thousands of viewers live.
This clip shows an interaction between Stephen, his partner, and the woman who they just caught. After detaining the target for a bounty and taking her to what appears to be a police station, Stephen chats with the detainee. He questions why she ran inside and locked her door rather than simply getting the whole ordeal over with.
The detainee then reveals that she didn’t even realize they were bounty hunters and ran inside because of the color of Stephen’s partner’s skin. “She saw a Black guy, so she shut the door,” Stephen says as he and his partner laugh about the situation. “See? I should have just went by myself!” he jokes. “I wouldn’t have had to kick a door down.”
The clips perfectly encapsulate this subcategory of streaming and are emblematic of the bold new directions Twitch seems to be going in.
- Poker-playing Twitch star dies after being electrocuted in bathroom
- After Twitch ban, Pink Ward is worried about his streaming future
- Dr. Disrespect suspended from Twitch after streaming from public bathroom
Got five minutes? We’d love to hear from you. Help shape our journalism and be entered to win an Amazon gift card by filling out our 2019 reader survey.
Ignacio Martinez is a journalism student at the University of Texas at Austin and an intern at the Daily Dot. His work has appeared in the Texas Observer and on the airwaves at KVRX 91.7 FM.