- This Pokémon generator site is creating hilarious monsters 2 Years Ago
- MrBeast impersonator tricks kid into destroying his XBox Today 12:50 PM
- This mom has the perfect nickname for her nonbinary kid Today 12:25 PM
- Netflix tests pop-out player that will allow viewers to multitask Today 11:44 AM
- Man allowed to sue media publishers over readers’ Facebook comments Today 11:42 AM
- Republicans slammed for joke about ‘heavily armed militia’ at Oregon statehouse Today 11:30 AM
- New bill wants tech companies to tell you how much your data is worth Today 10:53 AM
- AOC has the best response to Steve King’s ‘concentration camp’ criticism Today 10:19 AM
- Did Jake Paul and Tana Mongeau just get engaged? Today 9:26 AM
- Leaked documents reveal all the ‘red flags’ about Trump officials Today 9:02 AM
- Elon Musk, who wants to colonize space, thought the moon was Mars Today 8:56 AM
- How to watch ‘Legion’ for free Today 8:46 AM
- Netflix’s ‘Bolívar’ reduces hero’s tale to irredeemable melodrama Today 8:18 AM
- How to watch the U.S. vs. Spain at the World Cup for free Today 7:55 AM
- How to watch ‘The Hills: New Beginnings’ for free Today 7:40 AM
‘The Daily Show’ is working on a Trump Presidential Twitter Library
There appears to be a new Trump-specific exhibit in the works, which Comedy Central will open this summer in New York City.
This after Comedy Central purposefully confused many late-night watchers into openly wondering if the Russian Federation had hacked the channel on Wednesday night during The Daily Show.
— TVLine.com (@TVLine) March 30, 2017
Trevor Noah’s show was momentarily interrupted by a four-second snippet, then a mini video which included brooding war footage and music, as well as a spinning ballerina doll. It also flashed a new Russian domain name, thepresidentshow.ru.
Comedy Central later promoted that site, which initially went to a Russian account with three tweets in Russian, but now goes to @PresidentShow. At the time of Comedy Central’s subsequent press release announcing the new project—“The Daily Show Presents: The Donald J. Trump Presidential Twitter Library”—there was only one tweet.
"Late night TV is broken. A TOTAL DISASTER. I alone can fix it!" https://t.co/u3HObey9FO
— The President Show (@PresidentShow) March 30, 2017
Then the show retweeted another associated handle, that of @LateNightDonald, which has been quietly tweeting regularly since March 21.
Great meeting today with FCC about commercials. Too long and TOO LOUD! Just want to watch my shows!
— Late Night Donald (@LateNightDonald) March 30, 2017
LYING FitBit!! I walked at least 3 million steps today!
— Late Night Donald (@LateNightDonald) March 25, 2017
Comedy Central then announced in a press release that “The Daily Show Presents: The Donald J. Trump Presidential Twitter Library” has its own Twitter handle. The release claimed it “will open in June, and it will be tremendous. It will be so tremendous that you’ll get tired of the tremendousness, so it will then close only a few days later. Sad!”
The Donald J. Trump President Twitter Library has the BEST librarians- all 10s! Very nice.
— Trump Library (@TDSTrumpLibrary) March 29, 2017
The faux-hack occurred again, later on Chris Hardwick-hosted @midnight.
— Laurie T. (@Ladysplash11) March 30, 2017
No word yet on what, specifically, comedy fans can expect.
Kahron Spearman is a music and film critic whose work can also regularly be regularly found in the Austin Chronicle.