- Pornhub pulls Girls Do Porn videos amid sex trafficking charges 2 Years Ago
- Gina Rodriguez sings N-word on Instagram story 2 Years Ago
- Trump Jr. mocked for Hunter Biden tweet about profiting from dad’s name 2 Years Ago
- All the holiday movies and shows coming to Netflix in 2019 Today 3:48 PM
- Smoke ’em, pass ’em Week 7: The QB blues Today 3:29 PM
- Microsoft developing voice filters to block ‘toxic’ users on Xbox Live Today 3:27 PM
- Jennifer Aniston already has 2 million followers on Instagram Today 3:25 PM
- Why facials oils are a must for your winter skincare routine Today 3:20 PM
- Father of mega-popular Ace Family YouTube channel accused of rape Today 1:59 PM
- This Italian town ‘banned’ Google Maps after people kept getting lost Today 1:31 PM
- Fornite emerges from black hole with Chapter 2 Today 1:21 PM
- Everything Google announced at today’s Pixel event Today 1:12 PM
- Netflix sued over line about interrogation technique in ‘When They See Us’ Today 12:52 PM
- Twitch streamer says racist trolls got her banned for ‘suggestive’ outfit Today 12:47 PM
- Everything you need to know about Google’s new Pixel phones Today 12:47 PM
TOMMY WISEAU TRYING TO STEAL THE MIC FROM JAMES FRANCO IS THE MOST TOMMY WISEAU THING pic.twitter.com/91yWNcwHrS— hattie (@hattiesoykan) January 8, 2018
Franco portrayed Wiseau in last year’s The Disaster Artist, the (reportedly) Polish international man of mystery who made 2003 cult classic The Room. Franco’s film tells the stranger-than-fiction story of the worst movie ever made, one that continues to fill arthouse theaters for Rocky Horror-esque screenings. People come to laugh at the nonsensical and manipulative story, and chant along with the bad dialogue.
But as Wiseau reached for the microphone, Franco swatted his hand away.
Give it up for Tommy Wiseau for immediately trying to take the mic pic.twitter.com/OFQYSlchqc— Parker Molloy (@ParkerMolloy) January 8, 2018
Shocked and saddened, the internet tweeted. We wouldn’t be receiving the no-holds-barred acceptance speech we craved.
I really would have liked it if James Franco let Tommy Wiseau speak. The Disaster Artist is about outsiders believing their voices matter too. But James Franco, in a single gesture, at the microphone, reminded all of us it’s really just a fantasy.#TheDisasterArtist #GoldenGlobes— Greg Morelli (@yesgregyes) January 8, 2018
I am extremely uncomfortable with James Franco cutting off Tommy Wiseau. You owe him everything, dude.— Emily Yoshida (@emilyyoshida) January 8, 2018
Wonder if anyone is gonna point out Tommy Wiseau's treatment of women on set of The Room tonight— Jaya Saxena (@jayasax) January 8, 2018
“I don’t wait for Hollywood, I make my own movie,” Franco said onstage, impersonating Wiseau and the moment the infamous actor decided to pursue The Room. He continued: “This was billed as the movie about making the best-worst movie ever made… but in fact, it’s a story about friendship.”
Wiseau is set to appear in Best F(r)iends this year alongside Room co-star Greg Sestero.
Watch the epic moment below:
Ramon Ramirez is the news director, and formerly the Dot's entertainment editor and evening editor. His work has appeared in the Washington Post, Grantland, Washington City Paper, Austin American-Statesman, and Austin Monitor.