- People on Twitter ask whose ancestors would’ve passed immigrant ‘wealth test’ Monday 6:54 PM
- Kobe Bryant helicopter crash mocked in teen’s TikTok video Monday 6:38 PM
- Chiefs, Bears, Packers have Twitter accounts hacked Monday 3:48 PM
- Washington Post reporter suspended amid backlash over Kobe Bryant tweet Monday 3:08 PM
- America is united in hating Ken Starr’s impeachment hat Monday 3:01 PM
- In ‘Cuties,’ the contradictions of growing up come to a head Monday 1:55 PM
- Racist tweets blame fruit bat soup for coronavirus Monday 1:25 PM
- What is the #ILeftTheGOP movement? Monday 1:21 PM
- The Grammys were weird and sad—but the Billy Porter hat memes offered some levity Monday 12:36 PM
- Auschwitz Museum calls on Facebook to ban Holocaust denialism Monday 11:59 AM
- YouTuber who said his girlfriend was dead now says he faked it Monday 11:42 AM
- Review: Kentucky Route Zero is one of the most magical games ever made Monday 11:00 AM
- Backlash grows against Clearview as lawsuit looms Monday 10:58 AM
- Tyler the Creator calls out the Grammys for racism over ‘Rap Album’ win Monday 10:25 AM
- Democrats call on John Bolton to testify after book bombshell Monday 9:56 AM
TOMMY WISEAU TRYING TO STEAL THE MIC FROM JAMES FRANCO IS THE MOST TOMMY WISEAU THING pic.twitter.com/91yWNcwHrS— hattie (@hattiesoykan) January 8, 2018
Franco portrayed Wiseau in last year’s The Disaster Artist, the (reportedly) Polish international man of mystery who made 2003 cult classic The Room. Franco’s film tells the stranger-than-fiction story of the worst movie ever made, one that continues to fill arthouse theaters for Rocky Horror-esque screenings. People come to laugh at the nonsensical and manipulative story, and chant along with the bad dialogue.
But as Wiseau reached for the microphone, Franco swatted his hand away.
Give it up for Tommy Wiseau for immediately trying to take the mic pic.twitter.com/OFQYSlchqc— Parker Molloy (@ParkerMolloy) January 8, 2018
Shocked and saddened, the internet tweeted. We wouldn’t be receiving the no-holds-barred acceptance speech we craved.
I really would have liked it if James Franco let Tommy Wiseau speak. The Disaster Artist is about outsiders believing their voices matter too. But James Franco, in a single gesture, at the microphone, reminded all of us it’s really just a fantasy.#TheDisasterArtist #GoldenGlobes— Greg Morelli (@yesgregyes) January 8, 2018
I am extremely uncomfortable with James Franco cutting off Tommy Wiseau. You owe him everything, dude.— Emily Yoshida (@emilyyoshida) January 8, 2018
Wonder if anyone is gonna point out Tommy Wiseau's treatment of women on set of The Room tonight— Jaya Saxena (@jayasax) January 8, 2018
“I don’t wait for Hollywood, I make my own movie,” Franco said onstage, impersonating Wiseau and the moment the infamous actor decided to pursue The Room. He continued: “This was billed as the movie about making the best-worst movie ever made… but in fact, it’s a story about friendship.”
Wiseau is set to appear in Best F(r)iends this year alongside Room co-star Greg Sestero.
Watch the epic moment below:
Ramon Ramirez is the news director, and formerly the Dot's entertainment editor and evening editor. His work has appeared in the Washington Post, Grantland, Washington City Paper, Austin American-Statesman, and Austin Monitor.