- Netflix claims Adam Sandler’s ‘Murder Mystery’ broke viewing records 1 Year Ago
- How to watch ‘Yellowstone’ online for free 1 Year Ago
- How online allies joined a trans artist’s street art war 1 Year Ago
- These edited videos show the dark side of your favorite cartoons Today 7:00 AM
- Coca-Cola now exists in ‘Star Wars’ canon Today 6:44 AM
- How #TCOT gave birth to Trump Today 6:30 AM
- The ultimate cord-cutting guide for bilingual families Today 5:00 AM
- Boys’ sleepovers vs. girls’ sleepovers meme takes stereotypes to absurd heights Tuesday 7:30 PM
- Petition wants Keanu Reeves to be named ‘Time Person of the Year’ Tuesday 6:33 PM
- 8 women accuse Max Landis of sexual, emotional abuse Tuesday 5:37 PM
- Taylor Swift accused of copying Beyoncé—again Tuesday 5:00 PM
- Everything you need to know about Libra, Facebook’s new cryptocurrency Tuesday 4:45 PM
- Netflix just renewed ‘Queer Eye’ for 2 more seasons Tuesday 4:32 PM
- YouTube’s queen of failed robots just unveiled a one-of-a-kind Tesla truck Tuesday 3:58 PM
- AOC infuriates conservatives with ‘concentration camps’ remark Tuesday 3:33 PM
TOMMY WISEAU TRYING TO STEAL THE MIC FROM JAMES FRANCO IS THE MOST TOMMY WISEAU THING pic.twitter.com/91yWNcwHrS
— hattie (@hattiesoykan) January 8, 2018
Franco portrayed Wiseau in last year’s The Disaster Artist, the (reportedly) Polish international man of mystery who made 2003 cult classic The Room. Franco’s film tells the stranger-than-fiction story of the worst movie ever made, one that continues to fill arthouse theaters for Rocky Horror-esque screenings. People come to laugh at the nonsensical and manipulative story, and chant along with the bad dialogue.
But as Wiseau reached for the microphone, Franco swatted his hand away.
Give it up for Tommy Wiseau for immediately trying to take the mic pic.twitter.com/OFQYSlchqc
— Parker Molloy (@ParkerMolloy) January 8, 2018
— Jordan Ross (@TheJordanRoss) January 8, 2018
Shocked and saddened, the internet tweeted. We wouldn’t be receiving the no-holds-barred acceptance speech we craved.
I really would have liked it if James Franco let Tommy Wiseau speak. The Disaster Artist is about outsiders believing their voices matter too. But James Franco, in a single gesture, at the microphone, reminded all of us it’s really just a fantasy.#TheDisasterArtist #GoldenGlobes
— Greg Morelli (@yesgregyes) January 8, 2018
I am extremely uncomfortable with James Franco cutting off Tommy Wiseau. You owe him everything, dude.
— Emily Yoshida (@emilyyoshida) January 8, 2018
— Kevin Polowy (@djkevlar) January 8, 2018
— Mark Ellis (@markellislive) January 8, 2018
Wonder if anyone is gonna point out Tommy Wiseau's treatment of women on set of The Room tonight
— Jaya Saxena (@jayasax) January 8, 2018
“I don’t wait for Hollywood, I make my own movie,” Franco said onstage, impersonating Wiseau and the moment the infamous actor decided to pursue The Room. He continued: “This was billed as the movie about making the best-worst movie ever made… but in fact, it’s a story about friendship.”
Wiseau is set to appear in Best F(r)iends this year alongside Room co-star Greg Sestero.
Watch the epic moment below:
Ramon Ramirez is the news director, and formerly the Dot's entertainment editor and evening editor. His work has appeared in the Washington Post, Grantland, Washington City Paper, Austin American-Statesman, and Austin Monitor.