- A lonely grandma sought family to spend Christmas with on Craigslist Saturday 5:45 PM
- Airbnb bans white supremacists tied to Iron March forum Saturday 5:07 PM
- Did a Twitter user really get tricked into naming baby ‘Jack Ingof’? Saturday 4:46 PM
- State of emergency declared in New Orleans following ‘cyberattack’ Saturday 4:12 PM
- Video shows boy getting beat up–mom says it’s because he wore MAGA hat Saturday 3:54 PM
- Billboard changing albums chart to count YouTube streams Saturday 2:43 PM
- TikTok’s 20 most popular songs of 2019 Saturday 2:14 PM
- Greek gods memes are flooding Reddit thanks to TV reboot rumors Saturday 1:47 PM
- Anti-impeachment protesters aimlessly fumble through halls of Congress Saturday 12:54 PM
- Everything we know so far about the Xbox Series X Saturday 12:17 PM
- ASMR YouTuber Life with MaK says she was branded a ‘Nazi’ by online smear campaign Saturday 10:46 AM
- Voters duped by fake ex-Bloomberg intern’s tweet about being fired Saturday 9:47 AM
- HBO’s ‘Watchmen’ and the fantasy of competence Saturday 8:00 AM
- Cómo ver Kamaru Usman vs. Colby Covington en el UFC 245 Saturday 7:00 AM
- ‘Penis fish’ memes erupt after worms wash up on California coast Friday 5:58 PM
Phil Mickelson joined Twitter this week both to promote his upcoming pay-per-view match against Tiger Woods and get in a few quick jabs at the expense of his longtime rival. Woods, naturally, clapped back.
Mickelson quickly got the hang of the social media platform—or at least, hired someone well versed in all things Twitter—by claiming to have this “Twitter thing down” and included a GIF of himself winking.
In his follow-up tweet, the PGA champion said he was excited to tee off at the Pro-Am at Northern Trust and to use his new account.
I am about to tee off in the Pro Am for the Northern Trust. Excited to start and excited to Tweet!— Phil Mickelson (@PhilMickelson) August 22, 2018
Not long after, Mickelson brought his love/hate relationship with Woods to an online forum by responding to Woods’ promotion of their Thanksgiving Weekend face-off in Las Vegas.
Lefty was quick to reply to Woods’ proclamation that “it’s on” by trash-talking and then pointing out the massive error in the photo promoting the event.
I bet you think this is the easiest $9M you will ever make😂— Phil Mickelson (@PhilMickelson) August 22, 2018
Oh, it’s definitely on.
Twitter users joined in with friendly fire tweets of their own.
Phils 1 up thru 0.— Robert Emerson (@PukkaE) August 22, 2018
Left handed driver? No wonder he's been struggling a bit with hitting fairways! 😝— Witty Designer (@DesignWitty) August 22, 2018
Finally Phil coming in clutch with the tweets!— Carson Joens (@CarsonJoens) August 22, 2018
Am I understanding this correctly that these two are going to trash talking, making prop bets, etc like a home game? Is this a dream?— 3Hour Golf (@paceofplayindex) August 23, 2018
This is like hitting a homer in your first at bat. Well done Lefty!— sal139 (@sal139) August 22, 2018
Turner Sports will produce the telecast of the event on Friday, Nov. 23, at Shadow Creek Golf Course in Las Vegas. The winner will walk home away with $9 million, but probably more importantly, bragging rights.
H/T Washington Post
Chris Illuminati is an author and reporter whose work for the Daily Dot focuses on meme culture. His work has been published in Rolling Stone, FanSided, BroBible, Penthouse, and AskMen.