- Hong Kong protesters wear LeBron James masks Wednesday 7:58 PM
- Gina Rodriguez has said N-word before, Twitter discovers Wednesday 6:54 PM
- How to stream Chiefs vs. Broncos on Thursday Night Football Wednesday 6:00 PM
- Feds take down dark web’s largest known child porn site Wednesday 5:33 PM
- Ben Shapiro says his ‘man body’ is just as controlled as women’s Wednesday 5:06 PM
- Genius turns Kylie Jenner’s ‘rise and shine’ meme into alarm ringtone Wednesday 4:14 PM
- In ‘Tell Me Who I Am,’ twin brothers grapple with hidden trauma Wednesday 4:13 PM
- Panama Papers law firm sues Netflix over ‘The Laundromat’ Wednesday 3:07 PM
- ‘Motherless Brooklyn’ is a gorgeous noir with little below the surface Wednesday 1:14 PM
- Jameela Jamil and Sara Sampaio got in a Twitter feud over ‘long-starved’ models Wednesday 12:52 PM
- Freddie Prinze Jr. will straight-up school you about the Force don’t @ him Wednesday 12:18 PM
- Woman hosts Instagram funeral after she ‘killed’ $102K in student debt Wednesday 11:45 AM
- YouTube beats Netflix as go-to streaming platform for teens Wednesday 11:41 AM
- The tallest man in America posts emotional YouTube video from hospital room Wednesday 11:31 AM
- Nintendo Switch subreddit implodes amid Hong Kong protests Wednesday 11:14 AM
“Teen Wolf” creator takes to Tumblr to tease third season
Tumblr has long been the mecca for rabid “Teen Wolf” fans.
After months of radio silence, Teen Wolf showrunner Jeff Davis has emerged to answer fan questions via the Teen Wolf Tumblr. Billed as a tongue-in-cheek (and rather more feminist) alternative to Twilight, the show has gained a hugely enthusiastic online fanbase thanks to its combination of Buffy-esque horror pastiche, snappy dialogue, and upfront support for queer characters.
Davis seems very adept at keeping the balance between close-mouthed mystery and fandom-friendly behind-the-scenes hints, so it’s no surprise that this Q&A includes references to Sterek (a nickname for the enormously popular Stiles/Derek pairing, which has yet to actually appear on the show), jokes about threatening to sue to protect Season 3 spoilers, and — inevitably — the show’s mysterious lack of shirts for its male characters.
While we imagine that the Teen Wolf publicity team probably had to delete a great deal of Sterek-related messages — not to mention requests for cast member Dylan O’Brien to finally film a shirtless scene — the fan questions were interestingly varied. Some of the best were purely logistical. For example, do werewolves need to go to the dentist?
And how does the apparently homeless werewolf Derek Hale manage to look like a supermodel at all times?
In terms of plot developments for Season 3, fans will be pleased to hear that there will be absolutely no vampires whatsoever (although Jeff Davis is hoping for a unicorn at some point). With 24 episodes to work with, there will be far more time for character development including team-ups among the human characters, information about werewolf Boyd’s home life, and a backstory episode about the fire that killed Derek Hale’s family. In addition to dropping these storyline hints, Davis also attempted to whet fandom’s appetite for continuity details:
For concerned Sterek fans, the rumors about a possible love-interest for Derek remain inconclusive. Jeff Davis’ comments on the matter are that he “doesn’t pay attention to rumors” and that there won’t be a “new girl.” However, since Davis is known for teasing his viewers, this still leaves the field open for Sterek — or a different love-interest such as a girl who has already appeared on the show, or another male character. Either way, Davis had nothing but good things to say about Sterek fandom in general:
As for the rest of the Q&A, there were a lot of hints but no real spoilers. Sadly, no one asked the “Nairwolves” question: Why do none of the werewolves have any chest hair, even when they’re half transformed? But aside from that, here are some of our favorite answers:
A female nerd character will be introduced later in the season.
Danny will get a bigger role this year, for which they are currently shooting shirtless scenes with a character who is described as “not a boyfriend.”
Cast member Colton Haynes is leaving, so they’ve decided to replace him with a cardboard cutout. (This may or may not be true.)
“Where does Derek’s money come from?” Insurance.
“What inspires you to write?” Deadlines.
“What can we expect more of from Stiles this season?” More hair.
Worryingly, last season’s new cast member Isaac may cause a rift in the Scott/Stiles dream team.
- But to make up for it, Isaac will have a shirtless scene as well.
Photo via Teen Wolf/Tumblr
Gavia Baker-Whitelaw is a staff writer at the Daily Dot, covering geek culture and fandom. Specializing in sci-fi movies and superheroes, she also appears as a film and TV critic on BBC radio. Elsewhere, she co-hosts the pop culture podcast Overinvested. Follow her on Twitter: @Hello_Tailor