- YouTuber to pay restitution after a teen fan died copying her video 3 Months Ago
- Antonio Brown sent ‘intimidating’ texts to an accuser, including a pic of her children 3 Months Ago
- Facebook suspended tens of thousands of apps after Cambridge Analytica scandal Today 8:24 AM
- How to stream Browns vs. Rams on Sunday Night Football Today 6:00 AM
- How to watch ‘NFL Primetime’ on ESPN+ Today 5:00 AM
- How to stream Liverpool vs. Chelsea Friday 6:45 PM
- How to stream Real Madrid vs. Sevilla Friday 6:35 PM
- How to stream Peter ‘Kid Chocolate’ Quillin vs. Alfredo Angulo Friday 5:16 PM
- How to stream Barcelona vs. Granada Friday 4:50 PM
- ‘Atlantics’ tells a ghost story steeped with emotion and realism Friday 4:16 PM
- ‘Jojo Rabbit’ is a sweet, singular movie that loses its grip on satire Friday 3:40 PM
- Jordan Peterson is in rehab for Klonopin addiction Friday 3:34 PM
- The cat-worshipping turkey cult video, explained Friday 3:22 PM
- Despite legal threats and drama, the Area 51 desert event is on Friday 3:05 PM
- How to stream Yair Rodriguez vs. Jeremy Stephens on UFC Fight Night Friday 3:00 PM
Tesla might be unveiling an electric pickup truck later this year. But YouTube star Simone Giertz, who has proclaimed herself the “queen of shitty robots,” has developed her own prototype—and it looks pretty awesome.
Giertz, a YouTuber with 1.5 million subscribers, released a video Tuesday that shows how she bought a new Tesla Model 3 and then modified it into a pickup truck (or maybe more like a cross between a truck and a Chevrolet El Camino).
On Twitter, Giertz said she got tired of waiting for Tesla to release its model. Elon Musk said earlier this month that he could release the truck this summer and proclaimed that it “will be a better truck than an F-150 in terms of truck-like functionality, and be a better sports car than a standard [Porsche] 911.” So, Giertz made one herself.
The name is pretty special, as well. Instead of a Tesla pickup truck, she’s boiled her car’s name down to just one word: Truckla.
Here’s the commercial she made for her creation (she’s not selling them, by the way; her new electric vehicle is one-of-a-kind).
Giertz told the Daily Dot in 2016 that despite all of her robotic mess-ups, she uses the humor of her failures to keep her audience engaged. “I use humor as a way to digest anything,” she said. “It’s like putting syrup in medicine.” Luckily, she kept some of that humor and self-deprecation in her Truckla commercial. For example, she uses the plug-in charger like a lasso only for it to end up on the ground, well short of the vehicle.
Giertz also uploaded a 31-minute video showing how she turned her new Model 3 into the Truckla. It involves plenty of grinding and welding and spark-making, plus tons of innovation and automotive know-how.
She said she actually had the idea to create the pickup about a year ago, but she had to deal with a second brain tumor, so the project was temporarily put on hold.
As she began her vlog on Tuesday, Giertz told the camera, “I don’t know if this is going to be the smartest or the most stupid thing I’m ever going to do.”
Either way, it’s certainly one of the coolest.
- Meet the self-proclaimed ‘queen of shitty robots’
- YouTuber Simone Giertz reveals her brain tumor has returned
- YouTuber renames small town ‘Gay Hell’ to defy Trump Pride policy
H/T Tech Crunch
Josh Katzowitz is a staff writer at the Daily Dot specializing in YouTube and boxing. His work has appeared in the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, Washington Post, and Los Angeles Times. A longtime sports writer, he's covered the NFL for CBSSports.com and boxing for Forbes. His work has been noted twice in the Best American Sports Writing book series.