- Hong Kong protesters wear LeBron James masks Wednesday 7:58 PM
- Gina Rodriguez has said N-word before, Twitter discovers Wednesday 6:54 PM
- How to stream Chiefs vs. Broncos on Thursday Night Football Wednesday 6:00 PM
- Feds take down dark web’s largest known child porn site Wednesday 5:33 PM
- Ben Shapiro says his ‘man body’ is just as controlled as women’s Wednesday 5:06 PM
- Genius turns Kylie Jenner’s ‘rise and shine’ meme into alarm ringtone Wednesday 4:14 PM
- In ‘Tell Me Who I Am,’ twin brothers grapple with hidden trauma Wednesday 4:13 PM
- Panama Papers law firm sues Netflix over ‘The Laundromat’ Wednesday 3:07 PM
- ‘Motherless Brooklyn’ is a gorgeous noir with little below the surface Wednesday 1:14 PM
- Jameela Jamil and Sara Sampaio got in a Twitter feud over ‘long-starved’ models Wednesday 12:52 PM
- Freddie Prinze Jr. will straight-up school you about the Force don’t @ him Wednesday 12:18 PM
- Woman hosts Instagram funeral after she ‘killed’ $102K in student debt Wednesday 11:45 AM
- YouTube beats Netflix as go-to streaming platform for teens Wednesday 11:41 AM
- The tallest man in America posts emotional YouTube video from hospital room Wednesday 11:31 AM
- Nintendo Switch subreddit implodes amid Hong Kong protests Wednesday 11:14 AM
Silk Road goes to Hollywood
20th Century Fox and Chernin Entertainment have tapped author Dennis Lehane to put together a script for Silk Road.
It’s only been two weeks since the FBI shut down the the hugely successful online drug marketplace, but speculation about a silver screen version has been going on since the handcuffs closed around alleged mastermind Ross William Ulbricht’s wrists.
20th Century Fox and Chernin Entertainment have tapped author Dennis Lehane to put together a script for Silk Road based on an unreleased piece of longform journalism by Joshua Davis for Wired, reports Defamer.
Davis, a contributing editor at Wired, is one of the men behind Epic Magazine, an outlet dedicated to making longform articles into movies. At Epic, Davis works with Joshuah Bearman, who wrote the article that formed the basis for the Oscar-winning film Argo.
Lehane has written a handful of blockbusters including Shutter Island, Mystic River, Gone Baby Gone, and Live by Night, an upcoming project directed by Ben Affleck.
“There was a stampede for movie rights to this story,” reports Deadline.com. Virtually every substantial article in the hours and days following the news was flooded with comments asking when it would reach Hollywood.
Many Silk Roaders are worried that the film will portray the website and its founder, Dread Pirate Roberts, in a negative or misleading light, but with so much worldwide attention and a story this good, nothing was ever going to stop Silk Road from reaching the silver screen.
Photo via Eric Frankel/Flickr
Patrick Howell O'Neill is a notable cybersecurity reporter whose work has focused on the dark net, national security, and law enforcement. A former senior writer at the Daily Dot, O'Neill joined CyberScoop in October 2016. I am a cybersecurity journalist at CyberScoop. I cover the security industry, national security and law enforcement.