- Chiefs, Bears, Packers have Twitter accounts hacked Monday 3:48 PM
- Washington Post reporter suspended amid backlash over Kobe Bryant tweet Monday 3:08 PM
- America is united in hating Ken Starr’s impeachment hat Monday 3:01 PM
- In ‘Cuties,’ the contradictions of growing up come to a head Monday 1:55 PM
- Racist tweets blame fruit bat soup for coronavirus Monday 1:25 PM
- What is the #ILeftTheGOP movement? Monday 1:21 PM
- The Grammys were weird and sad—but the Billy Porter hat memes offered some levity Monday 12:36 PM
- Auschwitz Museum calls on Facebook to ban Holocaust denialism Monday 11:59 AM
- YouTuber who said his girlfriend was dead now says he faked it Monday 11:42 AM
- Review: Kentucky Route Zero is one of the most magical games ever made Monday 11:00 AM
- Backlash grows against Clearview as lawsuit looms Monday 10:58 AM
- Tyler the Creator calls out the Grammys for racism over ‘Rap Album’ win Monday 10:25 AM
- Democrats call on John Bolton to testify after book bombshell Monday 9:56 AM
- Pete Buttigieg ripped for basketball ‘field’ tribute to Kobe Bryant Monday 9:13 AM
- See how Logan Paul reacted to a college student spitting on him Monday 8:50 AM
Silk Road goes to Hollywood
20th Century Fox and Chernin Entertainment have tapped author Dennis Lehane to put together a script for Silk Road.
It’s only been two weeks since the FBI shut down the the hugely successful online drug marketplace, but speculation about a silver screen version has been going on since the handcuffs closed around alleged mastermind Ross William Ulbricht’s wrists.
20th Century Fox and Chernin Entertainment have tapped author Dennis Lehane to put together a script for Silk Road based on an unreleased piece of longform journalism by Joshua Davis for Wired, reports Defamer.
Davis, a contributing editor at Wired, is one of the men behind Epic Magazine, an outlet dedicated to making longform articles into movies. At Epic, Davis works with Joshuah Bearman, who wrote the article that formed the basis for the Oscar-winning film Argo.
Lehane has written a handful of blockbusters including Shutter Island, Mystic River, Gone Baby Gone, and Live by Night, an upcoming project directed by Ben Affleck.
“There was a stampede for movie rights to this story,” reports Deadline.com. Virtually every substantial article in the hours and days following the news was flooded with comments asking when it would reach Hollywood.
Many Silk Roaders are worried that the film will portray the website and its founder, Dread Pirate Roberts, in a negative or misleading light, but with so much worldwide attention and a story this good, nothing was ever going to stop Silk Road from reaching the silver screen.
Photo via Eric Frankel/Flickr
Patrick Howell O'Neill is a notable cybersecurity reporter whose work has focused on the dark net, national security, and law enforcement. A former senior writer at the Daily Dot, O'Neill joined CyberScoop in October 2016. I am a cybersecurity journalist at CyberScoop. I cover the security industry, national security and law enforcement.