- Man pleads guilty to stealing over $100 million from Facebook, Google Today 12:59 PM
- The Washington Post is under fire for a transphobic cartoon about the Mueller Report Today 12:33 PM
- Congressman quotes ‘Mein Kampf’ on House floor Today 11:55 AM
- Rapper Tone Loc detained after confronting teen in Confederate flag hat Today 11:37 AM
- Sarah Sanders shares Mueller Madness bracket Today 10:19 AM
- NASA postpones all-women spacewalk over lack of suits that fit the female astronauts Today 10:17 AM
- Texas Rangers shortstop walks up to ‘Baby Shark’ Today 9:58 AM
- The best wireless gaming headsets under $100 Today 9:23 AM
- Trump demands networks blacklist these guests—including prominent Democrats Today 9:09 AM
- Bookworms! Now’s your chance to grab 3 months of Amazon Music for free Today 9:00 AM
- You can get paid $1,000 to binge-watch the first 20 Marvel movies Today 8:56 AM
- The ‘flat stomach’ meme has morphed into the ‘pregnant mom’ meme Today 8:43 AM
- Get 6 months free with this sweet Amazon Music Unlimited offer Today 8:30 AM
- Zoie Burgher tweets details about supposed threesome with FaZe Pamaj, Abigale Mandler Today 8:09 AM
- How to stream MLB Network for free Today 8:05 AM
‘The Shape of Water’ wins Oscar for best picture—and the internet is fine with that
The 90th iteration of the Oscars has come and gone, and while predictable, subtle nods to the Time’s Up movement and Parkland shooting were sprinkled throughout the night. In general, the award show glided along sans drama, and avoiding any disastrous La La Land-esque mix up, the Oscar for best picture went to The Shape of Water.
— The A.V. Club (@TheAVClub) March 5, 2018
Fans across the Twittersphere celebrated the flick.
I DONT WANNA SEE NONE OF YOU BITCHES SAYING HOW THE SHAPE OF WATER DIDNT DESERVE THAT OSCAR GUILLERMO DEL TORO WORKED 25 YEARS OF HIS LIFE TO MAKE THAT MOVIE HE DESERVES EVERY INCH OF THAT STATUE AND YOU WILL NOT SLANDER HIM IN ANY WAY pic.twitter.com/yCCBbSCsbI
— gabi (@harleivy) March 5, 2018
Seriously though. Shape of Water was great and just an enjoyable and magical film. We don't have enough of those winning best pictures. I'm okay with this.
— Goat Jesus (@TrueGoatJesus) March 5, 2018
— 📎Lesley-Ann Brandt (@LesleyAnnBrandt) March 5, 2018
Some were just glad it wasn’t Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri.
— Matthew T'Cherry (@MatthewACherry) March 5, 2018
the only movie i could stand beating get out was the shape of water
literally the only thing i could stand
so i'm ok
— Dora MilAshley (@tokenblackchick) March 5, 2018
Others were disappointed.
We will look back on 2017 and think that Get Out was the best movie and not The Shape of Water. I can promise you that.
— Marcus Mosher (@Marcus_Mosher) March 5, 2018
The Shape of Water sucked, I wish Warren Beatty had just said The Florida Project and ran off stage #Oscars
— Matt Oswalt (@MattOswaltVA) March 5, 2018
— bryce sherwood (@SavWooood) March 5, 2018
And a lot of people just made fish jokes.
The Shape of Water (2017) pic.twitter.com/xpr6LxDpqA
— Juanisimo (@JuanOrtiz795) March 5, 2018
— Barstool Sports (@barstoolsports) March 5, 2018
The film swept the award show, taking home three other Oscars including best production design, best score, and best director, which went to Guillermo del Toro.
Sarah Jasmine Montgomery is a Daily Dot contributor whose writing and criticism cover all things pop culture, with an emphasis on how communities of color impact physical and digital cultural spaces. Her writing and photography have also appeared in Texas Monthly, the Fader, Complex, and Billboard.