- Spotify will soon let you block R. Kelly Monday 6:01 PM
- New Click to Pray app lets you pray with Pope Francis Monday 5:30 PM
- Social media influencer known for hiking in bikinis dead at 36 Monday 4:54 PM
- Trump posts altered pics on social media to make fingers look longer, report Monday 3:20 PM
- Twitch user banned after telling woman to ‘kill yourself’ during stream Monday 3:06 PM
- Facebook introduces ‘Community Actions’ tool to petition the government Monday 2:04 PM
- Sarah Sanders, NRA deliver truly misguided MLK tributes today Monday 12:58 PM
- MAGA teen who confronted Native elder says he ‘respects all races’ Monday 12:57 PM
- Popular YouTube channel in danger of disappearing because of copyright claims Monday 12:24 PM
- The Krassensteins’ Reddit AMA gets trolled off the internet Monday 12:08 PM
- No, Trump didn’t break open the Pizzagate scandal in 2011 Monday 11:23 AM
- Producer of anti-abortion film says Facebook refuses to run his ads Monday 10:58 AM
- Ja Rule thinks he was also a victim of Fyre Fest Monday 10:21 AM
- YouTube beef between RiceGum and H3H3 gets ugly—and personal Monday 10:02 AM
- ‘Fox & Friends’ accidentally airs obituary graphic for Ruth Bader Ginsburg Monday 9:40 AM
‘The Shape of Water’ wins Oscar for best picture—and the internet is fine with that
The 90th iteration of the Oscars has come and gone, and while predictable, subtle nods to the Time’s Up movement and Parkland shooting were sprinkled throughout the night. In general, the award show glided along sans drama, and avoiding any disastrous La La Land-esque mix up, the Oscar for best picture went to The Shape of Water.
— The A.V. Club (@TheAVClub) March 5, 2018
Fans across the Twittersphere celebrated the flick.
I DONT WANNA SEE NONE OF YOU BITCHES SAYING HOW THE SHAPE OF WATER DIDNT DESERVE THAT OSCAR GUILLERMO DEL TORO WORKED 25 YEARS OF HIS LIFE TO MAKE THAT MOVIE HE DESERVES EVERY INCH OF THAT STATUE AND YOU WILL NOT SLANDER HIM IN ANY WAY pic.twitter.com/yCCBbSCsbI
— gabi (@harleivy) March 5, 2018
Seriously though. Shape of Water was great and just an enjoyable and magical film. We don't have enough of those winning best pictures. I'm okay with this.
— Goat Jesus (@TrueGoatJesus) March 5, 2018
— 📎Lesley-Ann Brandt (@LesleyAnnBrandt) March 5, 2018
Some were just glad it wasn’t Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri.
— Matthew T'Cherry (@MatthewACherry) March 5, 2018
the only movie i could stand beating get out was the shape of water
literally the only thing i could stand
so i'm ok
— Dora MilAshley (@tokenblackchick) March 5, 2018
Others were disappointed.
We will look back on 2017 and think that Get Out was the best movie and not The Shape of Water. I can promise you that.
— Marcus Mosher (@Marcus_Mosher) March 5, 2018
The Shape of Water sucked, I wish Warren Beatty had just said The Florida Project and ran off stage #Oscars
— Matt Oswalt (@MattOswaltVA) March 5, 2018
— bryce sherwood (@SavWooood) March 5, 2018
And a lot of people just made fish jokes.
The Shape of Water (2017) pic.twitter.com/xpr6LxDpqA
— Juanisimo (@JuanOrtiz795) March 5, 2018
— Barstool Sports (@barstoolsports) March 5, 2018
The film swept the award show, taking home three other Oscars including best production design, best score, and best director, which went to Guillermo del Toro.
Sarah Jasmine Montgomery is a Daily Dot contributor whose writing and criticism cover all things pop culture, with an emphasis on how communities of color impact physical and digital cultural spaces. Her writing and photography have also appeared in Texas Monthly, the Fader, Complex, and Billboard.