- How to stream Browns vs. Rams on Sunday Night Football Today 6:00 AM
- How to watch ‘NFL Primetime’ on ESPN+ Today 5:00 AM
- How to stream Liverpool vs. Chelsea Friday 6:45 PM
- How to stream Real Madrid vs. Sevilla Friday 6:35 PM
- How to stream Peter ‘Kid Chocolate’ Quillin vs. Alfredo Angulo Friday 5:16 PM
- How to stream Barcelona vs. Granada Friday 4:50 PM
- ‘Atlantics’ tells a ghost story steeped with emotion and realism Friday 4:16 PM
- ‘Jojo Rabbit’ is a sweet, singular movie that loses its grip on satire Friday 3:40 PM
- Jordan Peterson is in rehab for Klonopin addiction Friday 3:34 PM
- The cat-worshipping turkey cult video, explained Friday 3:22 PM
- Despite legal threats and drama, the Area 51 desert event is on Friday 3:05 PM
- How to stream Yair Rodriguez vs. Jeremy Stephens on UFC Fight Night Friday 3:00 PM
- Twitter just launched its ‘Hide Replies’ feature Friday 1:59 PM
- How to turn off image metadata before it snitches on you Friday 1:36 PM
- The ‘Breaking Bad’ movie is coming to theaters—for one weekend only Friday 1:04 PM
Sexy Sesame Street costumes slapped with cease-and-desist notice
Sesame Street Workshop’s lawyers took issue with Yandy.com’s unlicensed costumes, including “Sexy Big Bird” and “Sexy Elmo.”
Those sexed-up versions of beloved childhood characters won’t be around for long, however, if Sesame Street has anything to say about it. Sesame Street Workshop’s Sarah Beth Erb told Buzzfeed the company has already taken action against the costumes.
“Our legal team has sent a cease and desist letter to the website selling them, will monitor the site, and follow up accordingly to make sure the items in question are removed,” she said.
Ever since Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney shared his threat to defund PBS during the Oct. 4 debate, Sesame Street and especially Big Bird, whom Romney mentioned by name, have held particular political gravity.
With Halloween coming up, more than one news outlet has guessed Big Bird will be an especially popular costume this year, a prediction which explains Sesame Street’s swift action toward Yandy’s sexy costumes.
Ever since the cease and desist took effect, however, it’s Yandy that appears to be having the last laugh. The costume merchandiser is now selling Sesame Street’s sanctioned alternative—a less revealing Big Bird costume for the ladies—under the same “Sexy Big Bird” title.
“Learning the ABC’s has never been this sexy,” claims the costume description.
Photos via Yandy.com
Lauren Rae Orsini is a web culture reporter who specializes in anime and the business of fandom. Her work has been published by Forbes and Business Insider.