- Elon Musk hires ‘absolute unit’ sheep meme creator to be Tesla’s social media manager 1 Year Ago
- Jason Momoa stands by his Khaleesi after the ‘Game of Thrones’ finale Today 4:05 PM
- Airbnb, 23andMe partner for creepy heritage travel recommendations Today 3:26 PM
- Rep. Katie Porter goes viral again for trouncing Ben Carson (updated) Today 3:26 PM
- This deepfake takes Bill Hader’s Schwarzenegger impression to the next level Today 2:58 PM
- Wanda Sykes rails against Trump and offers much-needed perspective in ‘Not Normal’ Today 2:41 PM
- Man arrested after allegedly threatening to shoot YouTube employees Today 2:13 PM
- Some House Dems are backing away from the Save the Internet Act Today 1:40 PM
- Thousands sign petition calling for Danny DeVito to play Wolverine Today 1:02 PM
- Jason Mitchell fired from ‘Desperados’ and ‘The Chi’ after misconduct allegations Today 12:36 PM
- Police raid Black woman’s house after white neighbor complains about loud Malcolm X speeches Today 12:20 PM
- ‘Transfixed’ says it’s a ‘breakthrough’ series, but it still fetishizes trans bodies Today 11:04 AM
- Senator proposes Do Not Track bill to allow consumers to opt out of data gathering Today 10:54 AM
- The Queen of the North likes to Juul Today 10:36 AM
- Nearly half of Juul’s Twitter followers can’t legally buy the product, study says Today 10:26 AM
Hugh Jackman on Wednesday celebrated his 22-year anniversary with wife Deborra-Lee Furness. For Hollywood couples, that might as well be 50 years. Jackman marked the milestone with a tweet that went viral, and well, that’s where Ryan Reynolds comes in.
The Deadpool actor and snarky writer said what many fans were thinking but felt guilty about expressing: “I gave this 3 months. Tops. I was wrong,” Reynolds wrote in response to Jackman’s heartfelt public display of affection.
“I believe in life we need to see and truly be seen by the most important people in our lives. Deb, from day one, we had that. 22 years later … it only gets deeper. You and the kids are the greatest gift I will ever receive. I love you a gazillion times around the world,” Jackman wrote.
I gave this 3 months. Tops. I was wrong. https://t.co/gxXSdACQ1X
— Ryan Reynolds (@VancityReynolds) April 11, 2018
If this had been a Michelle and Barack Obama tweet, it’d be a sweet reply from Reynolds. No one doubts the former first couple’s love. But many Hollywood leading men don’t stay with the person who was by their side when they were struggling theater actors sleeping on beds with no frames. Once the money and fame come in, even woke baes like Keegan-Michael Key and Jesse Williams historically ditch their Day 1 companions. That kernel of truth in Reynolds’ obvious joke may have been self-deprecating, as he has his own history with rocky Hollywood relationships. He was previously engaged to singer Alanis Morissette, married and divorced Scarlett Johansson, and is currently married to Blake Lively. Jackman has yet to publicly quip in response.
Jackman and Furness met while filming an Australian TV show in 1995. And their love seems genuine and heartfelt. A cursory Google search reveals rare candid photos showing two people who actually look happy to be in the same room. Let’s hope Reynolds continues to eat his words for many anniversaries to come.
Ramon Ramirez is the news director, and formerly the Dot's entertainment editor and evening editor. His work has appeared in the Washington Post, Grantland, Washington City Paper, Austin American-Statesman, and Austin Monitor.