- Experts warn of uptick in ‘Ryuk’ ransomware after hackers net $3.7 million Wednesday 7:03 PM
- Video game composer boycotts Gillette after anti-toxic masculinity ad Wednesday 6:05 PM
- Steve Carell sitcom ‘Space Force’ heading to Netflix Wednesday 5:30 PM
- Ocasio-Cortez’s ‘run train’ phrase becomes conservative sex controversy Wednesday 5:25 PM
- ‘Into’ is a reminder that queer businesses can be hurt by straight leaders Wednesday 5:13 PM
- TSA agents are the latest tool in the government shutdown meme war Wednesday 4:22 PM
- YouTube still hosting bestiality images year after crackdown pledge Wednesday 4:13 PM
- YouTuber quits fight after Darth Vader fan film claimed by Disney Wednesday 3:26 PM
- Millions of Fortnite accounts exposed via Epic Games website exploit Wednesday 2:26 PM
- A man found a camera in his Airbnb and the company didn’t seem to care Wednesday 2:00 PM
- A redditor planted an Easter egg in Hulu’s Fyre Fest doc Wednesday 1:51 PM
- This new revelation about Woody from ‘Toy Story’ will blow your mind Wednesday 1:35 PM
- Dave Rubin fails to delete Patreon on livestream to delete Patreon Wednesday 1:14 PM
- The ‘some of y’all… and it shows’ meme is taking over Twitter Wednesday 12:24 PM
- ‘Star Trek: Discovery’ begins season 2 on a cheerful note Wednesday 11:49 AM
Hugh Jackman on Wednesday celebrated his 22-year anniversary with wife Deborra-Lee Furness. For Hollywood couples, that might as well be 50 years. Jackman marked the milestone with a tweet that went viral, and well, that’s where Ryan Reynolds comes in.
The Deadpool actor and snarky writer said what many fans were thinking but felt guilty about expressing: “I gave this 3 months. Tops. I was wrong,” Reynolds wrote in response to Jackman’s heartfelt public display of affection.
“I believe in life we need to see and truly be seen by the most important people in our lives. Deb, from day one, we had that. 22 years later … it only gets deeper. You and the kids are the greatest gift I will ever receive. I love you a gazillion times around the world,” Jackman wrote.
I gave this 3 months. Tops. I was wrong. https://t.co/gxXSdACQ1X
— Ryan Reynolds (@VancityReynolds) April 11, 2018
If this had been a Michelle and Barack Obama tweet, it’d be a sweet reply from Reynolds. No one doubts the former first couple’s love. But many Hollywood leading men don’t stay with the person who was by their side when they were struggling theater actors sleeping on beds with no frames. Once the money and fame come in, even woke baes like Keegan-Michael Key and Jesse Williams historically ditch their Day 1 companions. That kernel of truth in Reynolds’ obvious joke may have been self-deprecating, as he has his own history with rocky Hollywood relationships. He was previously engaged to singer Alanis Morissette, married and divorced Scarlett Johansson, and is currently married to Blake Lively. Jackman has yet to publicly quip in response.
Jackman and Furness met while filming an Australian TV show in 1995. And their love seems genuine and heartfelt. A cursory Google search reveals rare candid photos showing two people who actually look happy to be in the same room. Let’s hope Reynolds continues to eat his words for many anniversaries to come.
Ramon Ramirez is the news director, and formerly the Dot's entertainment editor and evening editor. His work has appeared in the Washington Post, Grantland, Washington City Paper, Austin American-Statesman, and Austin Monitor.