- Instagram included in Facebook transparency report for the first time 5 Years Ago
- PayPal pulls out of Pornhub, leaving sex workers to consider cryptocurrency 5 Years Ago
- Billionaires are resorting to making racist jokes against Warren now Today 1:30 PM
- What is the meme of the decade? Today 1:07 PM
- At least 5 employees resign from GitHub, citing ICE contract Today 12:57 PM
- The ‘Sonic the Hedgehog’ redesign was led by a ‘Sonic’ artist Today 12:17 PM
- The 16-inch MacBook Pro is a beast, and it has a decent keyboard Today 11:24 AM
- This group is scanning thousands of faces in Congress today to protest facial recognition Today 11:09 AM
- Why is everyone debating Pete Buttigieg’s Medicare for All stance? Today 10:47 AM
- The Motorola Razr is a foldable homage to millennial nostalgia Today 10:22 AM
- The ‘I’m baby’ meme gets much more literal on TikTok Today 10:20 AM
- MrDeadMoth avoids jail time for assaulting pregnant partner during live stream Today 9:21 AM
- Deval Patrick 2020 fever is not catching on Today 9:08 AM
- How to stream Steelers vs. Browns on Thursday Night Football Today 8:13 AM
- How to stream Mexico vs. Netherlands in the U-17 World Cup semis Today 6:46 AM
Vine star behind ‘Ryan Gosling Won’t Eat His Cereal’ passes away after battle with cancer
He inspired many.
McHenry, who was based in Scotland, starting creating the mashups—which consist of clips of Gosling resisting a slowly moving spoon filled with cereal—in 2013, the same year he was diagnosed with osteosarcoma. His meme quickly became popular on Vine, but he also used the platform to speak honestly and openly about his battle with fans. And his friends in the Vine community rallied around him.
The tributes from those inspired by him have come pouring in since the sad news broke.
RIP Ryan McHenry. This young man’s creativity in the face of death was inspiringly beautiful and brave. My heart goes out to his family.
— Will Sasso (@WillSasso) May 4, 2015
Ryan McHenry was one of the reasons I got on Vine in the first place. His hilarious vines and optimistic attitude inspired me. RIP, Ryan
— Brandon Calvillo (@BJCalvillo) May 3, 2015
Gosling also recently broke his silence on the matter and even admitted that he loves cereal.
On April 21, McHenry released his last Vine compilation. Take in the magic:
Screengrab via Ryan McHenry/YouTube
Audra Schroeder is the Daily Dot’s senior entertainment writer, and she focuses on streaming, comedy, and music. Her work has previously appeared in the Austin Chronicle, the Dallas Observer, NPR, ESPN, Bitch, and the Village Voice. She is based in Austin, Texas.