- This Twitter account is parodying Amazon customer service Thursday 8:52 PM
- How to live stream Oleksandr Gvozdyk vs. Artur Beterbiev Thursday 7:00 PM
- Shaggy says an online scammer is impersonating him Thursday 6:53 PM
- IRL Barbie Malibu Dreamhouse available to rent on Airbnb Thursday 6:16 PM
- Men’s Humor trolled for unknowingly tweeting Grindr conversation Thursday 5:29 PM
- How to stream Dominick Reyes vs. Chris Weidman Thursday 5:00 PM
- Jennifer Aniston had a finsta before officially joining Instagram Thursday 4:35 PM
- Facebook denies moderating comments under Zuckerberg’s big free speech live stream Thursday 2:38 PM
- ‘My headphones’ meme proves our music is sadder than we look Thursday 1:53 PM
- ‘Time for an upgrade’ meme shows Kamala Harris’ team is too online Thursday 1:35 PM
- Prison guards reportedly mocked trans inmates in private Facebook groups Thursday 1:33 PM
- Gradient is the new celebrity look-alike app winning over influencers Thursday 12:46 PM
- Trolls accuse cosplayer of ‘appropriating’ Joker culture (updated) Thursday 12:28 PM
- Every Studio Ghibli movie will stream exclusively on HBO Max Thursday 12:24 PM
- ‘Stranger Things’ season 3 saw its highest viewer numbers yet Thursday 12:01 PM
Jim Henson creatures to meet YouTube stars in PJ Liguori’s ‘Oscar’s Hotel’
Patrick Stewart, Muppets, and YouTube A-listers, all in one wacky hotel.
BY SAM GUTELLE
On Sept. 15, PJ Liguori will re-introduce viewers to the guests at Oscar’s Hotel for Fantastical Creatures, and frequent YouTube viewers will recognize some familiar faces. Production company New Form Digital and distributor Vimeo have released details about Oscar’s Hotel, and its cast will include YouTube stars, well-known Hollywood actors, and the fantastical creations of the Jim Henson Company.
Oscar’s Hotel, which centers on a young man named Oliver who must manage his Uncle Oscar’s hotel and all the supernatural characters therein, is based off a short film Liguori released on YouTube as part of New Form’s first digital showcase. Out of 14 shorts, Oscar’s Hotel and Sawyer Hartman’s Parallax were given full series orders, with Vimeo On Demand serving as the primary distribution platform.
The cast of the Oscar’s Hotel harkens back to the film’s YouTube roots. According to a press release, at least 17 YouTube stars will appear in the series: Chris Kendall, Anna Akana, Mitchell Davis, Jake Roper, Grace Helbig, Mamrie Hart, Hannah Hart, Dan Howell, Phil Lester,PewDiePie, Marzia Bisognin, Jack Howard, Dean Dobbs , Carrie Fletcher, Meghan Rienks, TomSka, and Andrew Ableson.
At the same time, Oscar’s Hotel is more than just a showcase of digital talent. Acclaimed actors Patrick Stewart, Alfred Molina and Elliott Gould are all among the cast, bringing it some serious gravitas. In addition, the fictional hotel’s inhabitants may take on a decidedly Muppet-esque flair, with Jim Henson’s Creature Shop signing on to design creatures.
“PJ Liguori is a very unique storyteller. We’re very proud to work with him and this amazing cast, in partnership with Jim Henson’s Creature Shop, on Oscar’s Hotel,” said Kathleen Grace, chief creative officer for New Form Digital, in a release. “The series embodies what New Form is all about – building creators’ visions into premium scripted originals.”
This star-studded cast provides Oscar’s Hotel with plenty of hype ahead of its September 15th release. In the meantime, feel free to reintroduce yourself to the world Liguori has created by watching his short film:
Screengrab via KickThePJ/YouTube