- Here’s what’s coming to Amazon Prime in June 4 Years Ago
- Where did Jon Snow go? Unpacking the ‘Game of Thrones’ ending 4 Years Ago
- So, did anyone actually win ‘Game of Thrones’? Today 1:29 PM
- The surprising religious subtext of ‘John Wick: Chapter 3’ Today 12:53 PM
- Robin Arryn got hot—and the internet is seriously shook Today 12:40 PM
- Tana Mongeau is going to VidCon a year after TanaCon disaster Today 12:12 PM
- What have 2020 Democrats said about Alabama’s abortion ban? Today 11:36 AM
- People keep throwing milkshakes at the U.K.’s far-right politicians Today 11:10 AM
- James Charles is rebounding from his YouTube scandal—and his mentor is paying the price Today 10:42 AM
- Conservatives accuse Pete Buttigieg of wanting to tear down Jefferson Memorial Today 10:28 AM
- Graduating Moorehouse students thank billionaire for vowing to pay off $40m in student debt Today 10:22 AM
- ‘Westworld’ season 3 trailer gives us a new world, Aaron Paul Today 10:17 AM
- Twitch streamer says she’s receiving backlash for ‘getting men banned’ Today 9:27 AM
- ‘Game of Thrones’ fulfilled a twisted version of its biggest prophecy Today 8:17 AM
- Minions memes are more popular than the far-right on Telegram Today 7:35 AM
Jim Henson creatures to meet YouTube stars in PJ Liguori’s ‘Oscar’s Hotel’
Patrick Stewart, Muppets, and YouTube A-listers, all in one wacky hotel.
BY SAM GUTELLE
On Sept. 15, PJ Liguori will re-introduce viewers to the guests at Oscar’s Hotel for Fantastical Creatures, and frequent YouTube viewers will recognize some familiar faces. Production company New Form Digital and distributor Vimeo have released details about Oscar’s Hotel, and its cast will include YouTube stars, well-known Hollywood actors, and the fantastical creations of the Jim Henson Company.
Oscar’s Hotel, which centers on a young man named Oliver who must manage his Uncle Oscar’s hotel and all the supernatural characters therein, is based off a short film Liguori released on YouTube as part of New Form’s first digital showcase. Out of 14 shorts, Oscar’s Hotel and Sawyer Hartman’s Parallax were given full series orders, with Vimeo On Demand serving as the primary distribution platform.
The cast of the Oscar’s Hotel harkens back to the film’s YouTube roots. According to a press release, at least 17 YouTube stars will appear in the series: Chris Kendall, Anna Akana, Mitchell Davis, Jake Roper, Grace Helbig, Mamrie Hart, Hannah Hart, Dan Howell, Phil Lester,PewDiePie, Marzia Bisognin, Jack Howard, Dean Dobbs , Carrie Fletcher, Meghan Rienks, TomSka, and Andrew Ableson.
At the same time, Oscar’s Hotel is more than just a showcase of digital talent. Acclaimed actors Patrick Stewart, Alfred Molina and Elliott Gould are all among the cast, bringing it some serious gravitas. In addition, the fictional hotel’s inhabitants may take on a decidedly Muppet-esque flair, with Jim Henson’s Creature Shop signing on to design creatures.
“PJ Liguori is a very unique storyteller. We’re very proud to work with him and this amazing cast, in partnership with Jim Henson’s Creature Shop, on Oscar’s Hotel,” said Kathleen Grace, chief creative officer for New Form Digital, in a release. “The series embodies what New Form is all about – building creators’ visions into premium scripted originals.”
This star-studded cast provides Oscar’s Hotel with plenty of hype ahead of its September 15th release. In the meantime, feel free to reintroduce yourself to the world Liguori has created by watching his short film:
Screengrab via KickThePJ/YouTube