- Daniel Caesar dons cape for whiteness—and gets canceled Wednesday 4:29 PM
- Triton is a new malware ‘deliberately’ designed to put lives at risk Wednesday 3:23 PM
- ‘Into the Dark: I’m Just F*cking with You’ is one of the series’ best Wednesday 1:54 PM
- Trump’s latest prop, a map of ISIS, gets memed Wednesday 12:54 PM
- HBO sends fans on a global scavenger hunt for 6 Iron Thrones Wednesday 11:51 AM
- The Awkward Family Photos game is Cards Against Humanity for meme lovers Wednesday 11:50 AM
- London firefighters’ organization accuses ‘Peppa Pig’ of sexism Wednesday 11:41 AM
- YouTuber accused of abusing her children to make kid-friendly content Wednesday 11:20 AM
- Ari Fleischer’s Iraq War tweet isn’t going over well Wednesday 10:54 AM
- Cop arrested for recording man’s genitals, forcing mentally ill man to twerk Wednesday 10:37 AM
- MoviePass rebrands its unlimited plan, again Wednesday 10:37 AM
- Former Alaska senator launches meme-filled 2020 primary campaign Wednesday 10:17 AM
- The Shane Dawson cat controversy has resulted in these sex memes Wednesday 10:06 AM
- Sarah Sanders mocks CNN reporter with ‘dear diary’ tweet Wednesday 9:03 AM
- Know what you’re signing up for thanks to these dating site reviews Wednesday 8:58 AM
Jim Henson creatures to meet YouTube stars in PJ Liguori’s ‘Oscar’s Hotel’
Patrick Stewart, Muppets, and YouTube A-listers, all in one wacky hotel.
BY SAM GUTELLE
On Sept. 15, PJ Liguori will re-introduce viewers to the guests at Oscar’s Hotel for Fantastical Creatures, and frequent YouTube viewers will recognize some familiar faces. Production company New Form Digital and distributor Vimeo have released details about Oscar’s Hotel, and its cast will include YouTube stars, well-known Hollywood actors, and the fantastical creations of the Jim Henson Company.
Oscar’s Hotel, which centers on a young man named Oliver who must manage his Uncle Oscar’s hotel and all the supernatural characters therein, is based off a short film Liguori released on YouTube as part of New Form’s first digital showcase. Out of 14 shorts, Oscar’s Hotel and Sawyer Hartman’s Parallax were given full series orders, with Vimeo On Demand serving as the primary distribution platform.
The cast of the Oscar’s Hotel harkens back to the film’s YouTube roots. According to a press release, at least 17 YouTube stars will appear in the series: Chris Kendall, Anna Akana, Mitchell Davis, Jake Roper, Grace Helbig, Mamrie Hart, Hannah Hart, Dan Howell, Phil Lester,PewDiePie, Marzia Bisognin, Jack Howard, Dean Dobbs , Carrie Fletcher, Meghan Rienks, TomSka, and Andrew Ableson.
At the same time, Oscar’s Hotel is more than just a showcase of digital talent. Acclaimed actors Patrick Stewart, Alfred Molina and Elliott Gould are all among the cast, bringing it some serious gravitas. In addition, the fictional hotel’s inhabitants may take on a decidedly Muppet-esque flair, with Jim Henson’s Creature Shop signing on to design creatures.
“PJ Liguori is a very unique storyteller. We’re very proud to work with him and this amazing cast, in partnership with Jim Henson’s Creature Shop, on Oscar’s Hotel,” said Kathleen Grace, chief creative officer for New Form Digital, in a release. “The series embodies what New Form is all about – building creators’ visions into premium scripted originals.”
This star-studded cast provides Oscar’s Hotel with plenty of hype ahead of its September 15th release. In the meantime, feel free to reintroduce yourself to the world Liguori has created by watching his short film:
Screengrab via KickThePJ/YouTube