- What is the TikTok drink and can you still get it? Thursday 9:27 PM
- “Party, Party, Party” TikTok meme grapples with party culture Thursday 8:43 PM
- Baby Yoda was just added to Sims 4 Thursday 7:54 PM
- Religious conservatives petition Netflix to pull ‘gay Jesus’ Christmas comedy Thursday 7:19 PM
- Kylie Jenner criticized for yet another expensive car post Thursday 5:57 PM
- Apex Legends became a major Pornhub search in 2019 Thursday 5:15 PM
- CBS accidentally interviewed InfoWars host as regular Trump supporter Thursday 4:31 PM
- TLC accused of fatphobia, fetishization with show about ‘mixed-weight’ couples Thursday 3:41 PM
- Betting odds show KSI could fight FaZe Sensei, Jake Paul, or Justin Bieber next Thursday 3:20 PM
- Nick Cannon releases another thirsty Eminem diss track Thursday 2:59 PM
- Dogs at polling stations are helping bark out the vote in the U.K. Thursday 1:00 PM
- Streamers dominated Pornhub searches in 2019 Thursday 12:59 PM
- Pro and anti-boot factions emerge in wake of ‘Wonder Woman 1984’ trailer Thursday 12:31 PM
- The ‘Rise of Skywalker’ press tour has turned into a rehash of ‘The Last Jedi’ Thursday 12:18 PM
- What’s in a TikTok username? Thursday 12:00 PM
Mary J. Blige received her first Oscar nomination for best supporting actress in Mudbound, which follows veterans as they face systematic racism and PTSD in the aftermath of World War II. It also received nominations for best cinematography, best song for “Mighty River,” and best adapted screenplay. Rachel Morrison is also making history by becoming the first woman to be nominated for a best cinematography Oscar. Mudbound did not receive a best picture nomination and writer and director Dee Rees wasn’t nominated for best director, but she could become the first Black woman to win an Oscar for best adapted screenplay.
Although the streaming company has been a legitimate contender in the Emmys race, it’s been more difficult for Netflix to break through the Oscars as its streaming worldwide model conflicts with the more traditional movie theater experience that you get with most films. Most of Netflix’s previous Oscar nominations have been limited to the documentary feature and documentary (short subject) categories, with The White Helmets as its only win. Netflix was nominated for best documentary again this year with both Icarus and Strong Island.
Two more Netflix-affiliated films are nominated for Oscars. The documentary Heroin(e) received a nomination for best documentary (short subject) while On Body and Soul, Hungary’s entry for best foreign film category that Netflix acquired the North American rights to last year, will debut on Netflix in February.
Amazon Studios, which won three Oscars in 2017 with two of its films, Manchester By the Sea and The Salesman, circumvented that by giving the films a traditional theater run before they streamed online. (This year’s Oscar contender for Amazon Studios, The Big Sick, received a nomination for best original screenplay for Kumail Nanjiani and Emily V. Gordon.)
Outside of Netflix and Amazon Studios, the nominated films are preparing a tight race toward the finish. The Shape of Water received 13 nominations, which include best picture, best director for Guillermo del Toro, best actress, best supporting actor, best supporting actress, and best original screenplay. Get Out, Jordan Peele‘s social thriller, received four nominations for best picture, best director, best actor, and best original screenplay. Greta Gerwig’s Lady Bird garnered five nominations for best picture, best director, best actress, best original screenplay, and best supporting actress.
The 90th annual Academy Awards air March 4, 2018. You can view all of the nominations here.
Correction: Netflix has eight total Oscar nominations.
Michelle Jaworski is a staff writer and the resident Game of Thrones expert at the Daily Dot. She covers entertainment, geek culture, and pop culture and has brought her knowledge to conventions like Con of Thrones. She is based in New Jersey.