- The atonement of an alt-right troll Today 9:25 AM
- #StopTheBans protests draw thousands across the country in support of abortion rights Today 9:24 AM
- North Korea is using Trump’s low IQ attack on Joe Biden Today 9:14 AM
- How to watch ‘Kidding’ for free Today 8:00 AM
- What’s the deal with Bran Stark at the end of ‘Game of Thrones’? Today 6:30 AM
- How to watch TruTV online for free Today 6:00 AM
- Fans call out Madonna for edited Eurovision video Tuesday 9:36 PM
- Partnered Twitch streamer temporarily banned for airing troll’s racist message Tuesday 8:45 PM
- Reddit theory says fans are wrong about who won ‘Game of Thrones’ Tuesday 6:52 PM
- Elon Musk hires ‘absolute unit’ sheep meme creator to be Tesla’s social media manager Tuesday 6:12 PM
- Jason Momoa stands by his Khaleesi after the ‘Game of Thrones’ finale Tuesday 4:05 PM
- Airbnb, 23andMe partner for creepy heritage travel recommendations Tuesday 3:26 PM
- Rep. Katie Porter goes viral again for trouncing Ben Carson (updated) Tuesday 3:26 PM
- This deepfake takes Bill Hader’s Schwarzenegger impression to the next level Tuesday 2:58 PM
- Wanda Sykes rails against Trump and offers much-needed perspective in ‘Not Normal’ Tuesday 2:41 PM
“Lena Dunham’s boobs are dog noses.”
Just in time for Thanksgiving, Jimmy Kimmel Live has brought back one of his best recurring gags: reminding celebrities just how much people don’t like them. The late night host released an eighth edition of his wildly popular “Celebrities Read Mean Tweets,” and between John Stamos’ belly button and Lena Dunham acknowledging her nudity, it did not disappoint.
After opening up with someone asking Gwyneth Paltrow to shut the f**k up (it wasn’t ex-husband Chris Martin), Lena Dunham was left speechless for once when a Twitter user shared “unpopular opinion: lena dunham’s boobs are dog noses [sic].” Other highlights included Bob Newhart attempting to use Twitter, Michael Chiklis comparing himself to a scrotum, and John Stamos taking off his shirt to defend his ugly belly button. (In that case, Twitter was right, it is terrifying.)
While Kimmel has come under fire before for the potential veracity of the mean tweets in question (many mysteriously disappeared from Twitter, or didn’t exist at all), the show has now taken to lightly camouflaging portions of the angry tweeter’s handle with a barely noticeable blur, which could lead to mix-ups down the road. The tweet at Dunham in particular read from @julia after being camouflaged, but @julia is a now defunct Twitter account for well-known feminist entrepreneur and journalist Julia Allison—someone who likely doesn’t need or want to be linked to slamming Dunham for her body type.
Either way, “Celebrities Read Mean Tweets” remains one of the best segments on the notorious hoaxer’s show, and may we all take it with the giant grain of salt, and even more giant laugh, that Lisa Kudrow did when she got this gem:
“I hope you all have a great weekend. Except you, Lisa Kudrow. F**k you.”
Screengrab via Jimmy Kimmel Live/YouTube
Beejoli Shah is a reporter and editor whose work focuses on entertainment, internet culture, and social justice. Her work has been published in Rolling Stone, Cosmopolitan, Fusion, New York Magazine, the Guardian, and BuzzFeed, among others.