- Kanye faces backlash for headlining Christian event with anti-LGBTQ leaders Today 10:31 AM
- Why is Yennefer of Vengerberg so different in Netflix’s ‘The Witcher’? Today 10:00 AM
- Actress slammed for ‘acid attack-face’ TikTok challenge Today 9:46 AM
- ‘Weathering With You’ blends fantasy and realism in a magical love story Saturday 6:18 PM
- Kidnapped teen used Snapchat to get rescued Saturday 4:35 PM
- What fans do and don’t want to see in future ‘Far Cry’ installments Saturday 4:26 PM
- Aaron Carter accused of stealing lion art for merch Saturday 3:10 PM
- Instagram’s hidden like counts were inspired by a ‘Black Mirror’ episode Saturday 2:06 PM
- Student says they were expelled for tricking teacher into making inappropriate TikTok Saturday 12:26 PM
- Space Force uniforms relentlessly mocked, memed Saturday 10:52 AM
- Man flamed after admitting he called police on Target employee over a toothbrush Saturday 9:10 AM
- Netflix’s ‘Vivir Dos Veces’ searches for a last chance at first love Saturday 8:00 AM
- Camila Cabello must do more about her racist history Saturday 6:00 AM
- Instagram and Facebook are reportedly blocking queer ads Friday 8:58 PM
- Review: Tyler Perry’s ‘A Fall From Grace’ is both nonsensical and utterly predictable Friday 6:48 PM
Here’s the latest edition of ‘Celebrities read mean tweets’
“Lena Dunham’s boobs are dog noses.”
Just in time for Thanksgiving, Jimmy Kimmel Live has brought back one of his best recurring gags: reminding celebrities just how much people don’t like them. The late night host released an eighth edition of his wildly popular “Celebrities Read Mean Tweets,” and between John Stamos’ belly button and Lena Dunham acknowledging her nudity, it did not disappoint.
After opening up with someone asking Gwyneth Paltrow to shut the f**k up (it wasn’t ex-husband Chris Martin), Lena Dunham was left speechless for once when a Twitter user shared “unpopular opinion: lena dunham’s boobs are dog noses [sic].” Other highlights included Bob Newhart attempting to use Twitter, Michael Chiklis comparing himself to a scrotum, and John Stamos taking off his shirt to defend his ugly belly button. (In that case, Twitter was right, it is terrifying.)
While Kimmel has come under fire before for the potential veracity of the mean tweets in question (many mysteriously disappeared from Twitter, or didn’t exist at all), the show has now taken to lightly camouflaging portions of the angry tweeter’s handle with a barely noticeable blur, which could lead to mix-ups down the road. The tweet at Dunham in particular read from @julia after being camouflaged, but @julia is a now defunct Twitter account for well-known feminist entrepreneur and journalist Julia Allison—someone who likely doesn’t need or want to be linked to slamming Dunham for her body type.
Either way, “Celebrities Read Mean Tweets” remains one of the best segments on the notorious hoaxer’s show, and may we all take it with the giant grain of salt, and even more giant laugh, that Lisa Kudrow did when she got this gem:
“I hope you all have a great weekend. Except you, Lisa Kudrow. F**k you.”
Screengrab via Jimmy Kimmel Live/YouTube
Beejoli Shah is a reporter and editor whose work focuses on entertainment, internet culture, and social justice. Her work has been published in Rolling Stone, Cosmopolitan, Fusion, New York Magazine, the Guardian, and BuzzFeed, among others.