- Daenerys’ passive-aggressive smile is a very relatable meme Tuesday 11:18 PM
- Kentucky food truck repurposes ‘LGBTQ’ to support Trump, BBQ Tuesday 8:47 PM
- Trump complains about his Twitter follower count to Jack Dorsey Tuesday 6:34 PM
- ‘Avengers: Endgame’ sticks the devastating landing—and gives you time to grieve Tuesday 5:00 PM
- Teen hits Apple with $1 billion lawsuit over alleged face recognition arrest Tuesday 4:48 PM
- John Cornyn tried to attack Patton Oswalt for his old tweets and failed miserably Tuesday 4:29 PM
- Logan Paul is selling a pillow of his dead dog—for a good cause Tuesday 4:04 PM
- Study: Too much Netflix, not enough ‘chill’ Tuesday 3:36 PM
- Pete Buttigieg under fire for saying incarcerated Americans shouldn’t be allowed to vote Tuesday 2:54 PM
- Vine’s co-founder is beta testing a new app called Byte Tuesday 2:51 PM
- Report: Joe Biden’s first 2020 fundraiser will be with a Comcast executive Tuesday 2:49 PM
- Netflix’s ‘Sabrina’ appears to have an art-copying problem (updated) Tuesday 2:47 PM
- People are crying over these cats’ window-sill romance Tuesday 2:27 PM
- The ‘I’m baby’ meme is all about being comforted Tuesday 2:24 PM
- Parody video totally nails what men are like on Tinder Tuesday 1:57 PM
This GIF of the high-fiving mayor was a hit on Twitter and Tumblr last night.
Here at the Daily Dot, we swap GIF images with each other every morning. Now we’re looping you in. In the Morning GIF, we feature a popular—or just plain cool—GIF we found on Reddit, Canvas, or elsewhere on the Internet.
“GIFs are like baseball pitchers. Both have their moments. The intervals are the tough things.”
Okay, we may have slightly paraphrased Robert Frost (he said “poets”), but we’re sure he’d agree. He’d also agree that this MLB GIFs moment has well and truly come.
New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg is known for a lot of things, among them being intimidatingly smart, being intimidatingly rich, and being intimidatingly uptight. He is not particularly noted for his stylish way around the vernacular, either physical or literary. So it is with both delight and surprise that we present his tweet from Wednesday, containing both relaxed, slangy humor and an actual reaction GIF.
More than 265 retweets later, the gif of Mayor Bloomberg high-fiving mascot Mr. Met spread to Tumblr, where it garnered 194 notes and uncounted high-fives among baseball fans—which means all of us, amirite?
We, ourselves, were all like:
Lorraine Murphy is an Ottawa-based cybersecurity journalist and founding editor of the Cryptosphere. She has a keen interest in WikiLeaks and web culture, and her bylines have appeared in Salon, Vanity Fair, Serious Eats, and elsewhere.