- West Virginia corrections employees suspended after Nazi salute photo surfaces Thursday 8:02 PM
- Here are the 15 best Eddie Murphy movies available to stream Thursday 7:56 PM
- Ex-InfoWars video editor admits to making up Islamophobic stories Thursday 6:55 PM
- WhatsApp accounts deleted amid Kashmir internet blackout Thursday 6:21 PM
- Guy gets mocked for tattoo of Baby Yoda drinking White Claw Thursday 6:18 PM
- Spotify Wrapped has people asking just how much it knows about us Thursday 5:50 PM
- Instagram account allegedly asked for inappropriate photos of children Thursday 5:16 PM
- How to stream ‘Boys vs. Bears on Thursday Night Football Thursday 4:33 PM
- Woman caught her boyfriend cheating through his Fitbit Thursday 4:29 PM
- The Pete Buttigieg ‘High Hopes’ dance was designed by an intern Thursday 4:17 PM
- TikTok admits to hiding content made by fat, LGBTQ, and disabled users Thursday 3:58 PM
- ‘Merry Happy Whatever’ is an unoriginal sitcom with plenty of holiday cheer Thursday 3:55 PM
- The ‘Pod Save America’ Bros are losing it over Joe Biden’s newest ad Thursday 3:28 PM
- Van Halen had a wholesome response in defense of Billie Eilish Thursday 3:15 PM
- Influencer faces wrath of K-pop fans after her son played with penis-shaped soap Thursday 1:27 PM
Thanks to everyone at @allure magazine for making me feel so comfortable taking off my clothes for the camera for your May issue. #NormanJeanRoy you’re a genius. #CelebrateYourBody #TransIsBeautiful #OITNB @oitnb #BodiesThatMatter shout out to By @hungvanngo “Beautiful actress @LaverneCox bares it all for @allure magazine May 2015 photographed by #NormanJeanRoy Editor @paulcavaco Nails #AprilForeman Hair @teddycharles35 & Makeup by me #HungVanngo #LaverneCox 😊To achieve the beautiful sheen on the skin, thanks to @ctilburymakeup #SuperModelBody highlighter & @Tatcha indigo soothing silk body butter ??” via @PhotoRepost_app
A photo posted by laverne cox (@lavernecox) on
Cox, the transgender actress who made waves with her role on Orange Is the New Black, and with her activism around trans rights and visibility, initially said no to the photoshoot.
“I said no initially, thought about it, and said no again,” Cox told Allure. “But I’m a black transgender woman. I felt this could be really powerful for the communities that I represent. Black women are not often told that we’re beautiful unless we align with certain standards. Trans women certainly are not told we’re beautiful. Seeing a black transgender woman embracing and loving everything about her body might be inspiring for some folks. There’s a beauty in the things we think are imperfect. It sounds very cliché, but it’s true.”
Cox, who was just named to Time’s 2015 100 Most Influential People list, wasn’t the only star stripped down in the annual nude issue, which also features actresses Jordana Brewster and Nicole Beharie, among others, in the buff.
Photo via GLAAD/Flickr (CC BY ND 2.0)
A former YouTube reporter for the Daily Dot, Rae Votta has more than a decade of experience in the digital and entertainment industries. Her work has appeared on AOL, Huffington Post, Out Magazine, Logo, VH1, Current TV, Billboard, and NYMag. She joined Netflix in 2016.