- Twitter lifts ‘permanent’ suspension of activist Barrett Brown Monday 5:52 PM
- Billie Eilish fans fend off objectifying comments on tank top photo Monday 5:32 PM
- Groom’s mother sabotages wedding by tricking guests into wearing jorts and hoodies Monday 4:39 PM
- No one believes Bill de Blasio’s son sent him these debate prep texts Monday 3:26 PM
- Meek Mill, Jay-Z to release ‘Free Meek’ documentary on Amazon Prime Monday 3:20 PM
- 3 ways to secure your Nest cameras Monday 3:15 PM
- This Pokémon generator site is creating hilarious monsters Monday 2:48 PM
- MrBeast impersonator tricks kid into destroying his XBox Monday 12:50 PM
- This mom has the perfect nickname for her nonbinary kid Monday 12:25 PM
- Netflix tests pop-out player that will allow viewers to multitask Monday 11:44 AM
- Man allowed to sue media publishers over readers’ Facebook comments Monday 11:42 AM
- Republicans slammed for joke about ‘heavily armed militia’ at Oregon statehouse Monday 11:30 AM
- New bill wants tech companies to tell you how much your data is worth Monday 10:53 AM
- AOC has the best response to Steve King’s ‘concentration camp’ criticism Monday 10:19 AM
- Did Jake Paul and Tana Mongeau just get engaged? Monday 9:26 AM
Cox continues to shatter boundaries.
Thanks to everyone at @allure magazine for making me feel so comfortable taking off my clothes for the camera for your May issue. #NormanJeanRoy you’re a genius. #CelebrateYourBody #TransIsBeautiful #OITNB @oitnb #BodiesThatMatter shout out to By @hungvanngo “Beautiful actress @LaverneCox bares it all for @allure magazine May 2015 photographed by #NormanJeanRoy Editor @paulcavaco Nails #AprilForeman Hair @teddycharles35 & Makeup by me #HungVanngo #LaverneCox 😊To achieve the beautiful sheen on the skin, thanks to @ctilburymakeup #SuperModelBody highlighter & @Tatcha indigo soothing silk body butter ??” via @PhotoRepost_app
A photo posted by laverne cox (@lavernecox) on
Cox, the transgender actress who made waves with her role on Orange Is the New Black, and with her activism around trans rights and visibility, initially said no to the photoshoot.
“I said no initially, thought about it, and said no again,” Cox told Allure. “But I’m a black transgender woman. I felt this could be really powerful for the communities that I represent. Black women are not often told that we’re beautiful unless we align with certain standards. Trans women certainly are not told we’re beautiful. Seeing a black transgender woman embracing and loving everything about her body might be inspiring for some folks. There’s a beauty in the things we think are imperfect. It sounds very cliché, but it’s true.”
Cox, who was just named to Time’s 2015 100 Most Influential People list, wasn’t the only star stripped down in the annual nude issue, which also features actresses Jordana Brewster and Nicole Beharie, among others, in the buff.
Photo via GLAAD/Flickr (CC BY ND 2.0)
A former YouTube reporter for the Daily Dot, Rae Votta has more than a decade of experience in the digital and entertainment industries. Her work has appeared on AOL, Huffington Post, Out Magazine, Logo, VH1, Current TV, Billboard, and NYMag. She joined Netflix in 2016.