- The 9 best podcasts for kids that entertain and educate 5 Years Ago
- Swipe This! Why does my BFF get more likes on Instagram than me? Today 6:00 AM
- The 25 Tom Cruise movies that are essential viewing Today 6:00 AM
- No, that guy didn’t really fly alone on a Delta flight Saturday 4:31 PM
- Fans are paying to meet their favorite YouTubers online through pilot program Saturday 2:54 PM
- Behold: 12 straight hours of ‘Stranger Things” Alexei drinking a Slurpee Saturday 2:05 PM
- Influencer couple under fire for using holy water to splash genitals in Bali Saturday 1:29 PM
- These are the 10 best villains DC comics has ever conceived Saturday 1:11 PM
- The Daily Wire accused of stealing art design from pop artist for its merchandise Saturday 12:09 PM
- Instagram model Rianne Meijer on keeping it real with her followers Saturday 10:52 AM
- How to stream Chelsea vs. Leicester City Saturday 8:30 AM
- Florida man arrested after allegedly texting girlfriend his mass shooting plans Saturday 8:27 AM
- How to stream Real Madrid vs. Celta Vigo Saturday 8:20 AM
- How to stream Seahawks vs. Vikings in NFL preseason action Saturday 8:00 AM
- How to stream Steelers vs. Chiefs in NFL preseason action Saturday 6:30 AM
How to throw the best Fourth of July party
People only really care about three key things at your Fourth of July party: drinks, grilling, and dessert.
With July Fourth already upon us, we turn to our trusty companion, YouTube, to help us plan the perfect last-minute party with patriotic themes. You can paint your nails in a patriotic fashion, dip-dye some shorts into an American flag, or make an Americana wreath, but people only really care about three key things at your Fourth of July party: drinks, grilling, and dessert. For that, YouTube is here to help.
Step 1: Drinks
Bethany Motta’s lifestyle channel Bethany’s Life teaches us the fine art of color layering beverages to give you a red, white, and blue appeal. This video isn’t much for making special drinks (cranberry, Sprite, and Gatorade isn’t really our drink of choice) but does give you the key to success with any layered drink choice: Layering is based on sugar content in the drinks. Drinks with the most sugar go at the bottom!
Americana Jell-O shots
This plays on the same principals of the layered drinks, but requires patience, as you need to give the Jell-O time to set between layers. For an extra treat that’ll send your party to the next level, the middle is a panna cotta instead of just more jello. Top it off with a cherry and include alcohol of your choosing if you’re of age.
Step 2: Food (Savory)
We’ll admit these don’t look cute at all, but show us a YouTuber who can make beans, meat, and coleslaw look cute in a mug and we’ll applaud them. These sundaes are functional though, and a great way to avoid overusing paper plates or doing the pesky “balance your plate on top of a drink” dance. Handles are essential. Who cares if it’s cute; it’s tasty.
Bacon steak rolls
There’s no better way to say “America” than by taking steak and wrapping it in bacon and throwing it on a grill. Deceptively easy to make, they’re served in hot dog buns, making them the classier alternative to your typical burgers and brats.
Patriotic cheese and fruit spread
Ann Lee (Anneorshine) has a healthier take on your Fourth with a fruit and cheese plate that evokes the colors of America. Strawberries, blueberries, and a mild white cheese (cut into stars for maximum patriotic effect) come together to form a flag that your friends will immediately destroy as they devour the snacks, but hopefully not before you snap some Instagram pictures. This incredibly simple idea is perfect for the last-minute party planner.
Step 3: Food (sweet)
Chocolate flag pretzels
Rosanna Pansino believes that you’ve got pastry bags lying around for your Fourth of July soiree, so let’s pretend. These chocolate flag pretzels are for the more artsy among us who can draw straight lines with melted chocolate and have the patience for icing individual square pretzels into American flags. Let’s all aspire to have it this together for next year.
Captain America ice cream sandwiches
Pansino also gives us something both nerdy and patriotic, and we love it. Plus you get to roll colored cookie dough into shapes that look like those store-bought cookie dough rolls and impress your friends with your mad baking skills.
American bald eagle cake
If you’re as good as the folks Gastro Lab and can draw a bald eagle on a cake, what are you even doing reading this list? Can we come to your party?
A former YouTube reporter for the Daily Dot, Rae Votta has more than a decade of experience in the digital and entertainment industries. Her work has appeared on AOL, Huffington Post, Out Magazine, Logo, VH1, Current TV, Billboard, and NYMag. She joined Netflix in 2016.