- Reddit AITA: Man verbally abused partner through cat impersonations Monday 7:18 PM
- Facebook finally lets you kill distracting navigation bar notifications Monday 6:14 PM
- Artist says Thinx underwear campaign ripped off their memes (updated) Monday 5:48 PM
- Google reportedly gathering millions of Americans’ personal health records Monday 5:00 PM
- Trina goes off on Walmart shopper who allegedly called her the ‘N-word’ Monday 4:14 PM
- Bored of Helvetica? iOS users finally have some new font options Monday 4:00 PM
- Amid panic, YouTube says new terms of service won’t impact creators Monday 3:56 PM
- Opposing sides fight to control online narrative over Bolivian ‘coup’ Monday 3:50 PM
- How to sign up for the Disney+ bundle Monday 3:35 PM
- Instagram covers video costs for celebs who don’t get political Monday 3:30 PM
- T.I.’s daughter apparently unfollowed her dad on Instagram after hymen comment Monday 3:26 PM
- Meet ByteDance, the Chinese tech company behind TikTok Monday 3:09 PM
- Everything you need to know about investing app Robinhood Monday 2:44 PM
- How to stream 49ers vs. Seahawks on Monday Night Football Monday 1:43 PM
- Cops cuff Black man for eating sandwich on subway platform Monday 1:29 PM
Jon Stewart is baffled by Instagram acquisition
“A billion dollars of… money? Stewart asked on The Daily Show. “For a thing that kind of ruins your pictures?”
Being a crotchety, old man, Jon Stewart is totally confused by Facebook’s purchase of Instagram. Apparently, he doesn’t even know what the application does.
After a brief primer about Instagram clipped from an ABC News report, The Daily Show host mocked, “Wow, that’s really…lame.” What threw Stewart off even more was the purchase price: $1 billion.
“A billion dollars of… money? For a thing that kind of ruins your pictures?” Stewart asked on Tuesday night’s show. “The only Instagram worth a billion dollars would be an app that instantly gets you a gram, of uncut Colombian, black coffee.”
Acknowledging that technology stories will never make sense to him, he brought in Senior Youth Correspondent Jessica Williams, who broke it down for the elder statesman.
Williams said the billion-dollar price tag is perfectly reasonable because “it’s awesome” since we don’t have to build a time machine to make it look like our pictures are from the 1960s.
Watch below as Williams explains Instagram to Stewart and look for the bonus Ryan Gosling appearance.
|The Daily Show with Jon Stewart||Mon – Thurs 11p / 10c|
|The Social Networth|
A former editorial operations specialist and staff writer for the Daily Dot, Jordan Valinsky is a tech reporter and web culture commentator. His work has been published by the Week, Digiday, CNNMoney, Popular Mechanics, Vice, Mic, and Betabeat.