- Everything we know so far about Peacock, NBC’s new streaming service Tuesday 7:42 PM
- Selena Gomez producing docuseries about immigration for Netflix Tuesday 7:11 PM
- How to stream Manchester City vs. Shakhtar Donetsk in Champions League action Tuesday 6:14 PM
- Milo Yiannopoulos threatens to crash furry convention he is barred from Tuesday 5:54 PM
- How to stream Juventus vs. Atletico Madrid in Champions League action Tuesday 5:52 PM
- How to stream Real Madrid vs. PSG in Champions League action Tuesday 5:24 PM
- No-fly zone implemented over Area 51 ahead of Alienstock festival Tuesday 5:16 PM
- TikTok accused of censoring content about Hong Kong protests Tuesday 5:04 PM
- Smoke ’em, pass ’em, Week 3: At the Bakery Tuesday 4:38 PM
- Alex Trebek says he will be undergoing chemotherapy again Tuesday 4:27 PM
- Dan Crenshaw roasted after attacking Sanders’ call for veteran care Tuesday 4:19 PM
- How to stream NXT for its USA network debut Tuesday 4:12 PM
- This website will show you how AI classifies you Tuesday 3:22 PM
- School tells Black 4-year-old to cut his hair or wear a dress Tuesday 3:17 PM
- Lizzo called a ‘snitch’ for accusing Postmates runner of stealing food Tuesday 2:30 PM
Joe Rogan killed a bear with a bow, and the Internet isn’t happy
“Why man? What a shame. To waste an animal like that for nothing?”
Usually, the attack comes before you kill the bear. In comedian Joe Rogan’s case, however, it came afterward—from scores of animal-loving Internet users.
On June 8, Rogan proudly boasted about his slaughter of a black bear while hunting in Canada with Joe Rogan Experience podcast cohost Cameron Hanes. His only weapon was a bow.
Screengrab via Facebook
Anyone that tells you bear meat isn’t delicious doesn’t know what the fuck they’re talking about. http://t.co/WW9rksBKIp
— Joe Rogan (@joerogan) June 8, 2014
— Moises Campos (@moy7759) June 9, 2014
“Can’t look at this photo.Don’t understand individuals who pose with a dead human or animals.I don’t enjoy other creature’s suffering” Facebook user Feeroozay Darabi commented.
“Why man? What a shame. To waste an animal like that for nothing?” redditor bantamfly said.
Others, however, saw nothing wrong with Rogan’s furry prize.
A friend is furious about joe rogan killing a bear, eating it and thinks hunting is disgusting. He is telling me this while eating a steak.
— Finding Niko (@findingxniko) June 8, 2014
“Why are there so many anti hunters following a staunchly pro hunting guy?? That’s what it pitiful sad and stupid. Saw joe Rogan shoot his 1st deer with Steve rinilla on meat esters. He’s a great addition to the hunt community. Way to pass on the tradition cam. You are the man,” Facebook user Tom Kirklin said.
“I don’t know what’s so controversial here. I don’t oppose trophy hunting, but that’s not even what’s going on here. In fact Joe does this in part because he opposes factory farming,” redditor celerycelerity said.
Despite the criticism, there are no legal problems with Rogan’s choice of game—in fact, quite the opposite is true. It is currently hunting season in Canada, and area hunters are counted upon to help control the black bear population.
Nevertheless, Rogan’s experience is not without precedent. In November 2013, reality TV star Melissa Bachman suffered similar Internet backlash after posting pictures of a dead lion she hunted in South Africa.
Image via Facebook
Mike Fenn is a former contributor to the Daily Dot whose beats included Reddit, YouTube, and all things WTF. His work has also appeared in Forbes and News.com.au.