- Cooking Mama’s return whips up a fresh batch of memes Tuesday 8:18 PM
- Influencer body-shames model, Photoshops photo of self to ‘prove point’ Tuesday 7:27 PM
- Boosie Badazz goes on transphobic rant about Dwyane Wade’s daughter Tuesday 6:34 PM
- Royal Family’s website accidentally links to porn instead of charity Tuesday 5:39 PM
- Republican senator spreads false conspiracy about coronavirus Tuesday 5:11 PM
- New DNA technology could help exonerate Black man serving life sentence Tuesday 4:24 PM
- ‘SNL’s’ Kenan Thompson to host the White House Correspondents’ Dinner Tuesday 3:58 PM
- Singer Summer Walker dragged for insensitive HIV comments Tuesday 2:39 PM
- This video of a teddy bear getting steam cleaned makes a perfect meme Tuesday 2:27 PM
- Ted Cruz goes on Twitter tirade over proposed vasectomy bill Tuesday 2:22 PM
- Billie Eilish says she’s stopped reading Instagram comments Tuesday 2:13 PM
- Christian group blames satanists for Twitter poll results Tuesday 1:41 PM
- Coronavirus has pandemic-themed video games topping charts Tuesday 12:58 PM
- Bloomberg said kids are drawn to socialism because they think it involves social media Tuesday 12:55 PM
- Jake Paul gives ill-informed advice on how to deal with anxiety Tuesday 12:25 PM
Joe Rogan killed a bear with a bow, and the Internet isn’t happy
“Why man? What a shame. To waste an animal like that for nothing?”
Usually, the attack comes before you kill the bear. In comedian Joe Rogan’s case, however, it came afterward—from scores of animal-loving Internet users.
On June 8, Rogan proudly boasted about his slaughter of a black bear while hunting in Canada with Joe Rogan Experience podcast cohost Cameron Hanes. His only weapon was a bow.
Screengrab via Facebook
Anyone that tells you bear meat isn’t delicious doesn’t know what the fuck they’re talking about. http://t.co/WW9rksBKIp
— Joe Rogan (@joerogan) June 8, 2014
— Moises Campos (@moy7759) June 9, 2014
“Can’t look at this photo.Don’t understand individuals who pose with a dead human or animals.I don’t enjoy other creature’s suffering” Facebook user Feeroozay Darabi commented.
“Why man? What a shame. To waste an animal like that for nothing?” redditor bantamfly said.
Others, however, saw nothing wrong with Rogan’s furry prize.
A friend is furious about joe rogan killing a bear, eating it and thinks hunting is disgusting. He is telling me this while eating a steak.
— Finding Niko (@findingxniko) June 8, 2014
“Why are there so many anti hunters following a staunchly pro hunting guy?? That’s what it pitiful sad and stupid. Saw joe Rogan shoot his 1st deer with Steve rinilla on meat esters. He’s a great addition to the hunt community. Way to pass on the tradition cam. You are the man,” Facebook user Tom Kirklin said.
“I don’t know what’s so controversial here. I don’t oppose trophy hunting, but that’s not even what’s going on here. In fact Joe does this in part because he opposes factory farming,” redditor celerycelerity said.
Despite the criticism, there are no legal problems with Rogan’s choice of game—in fact, quite the opposite is true. It is currently hunting season in Canada, and area hunters are counted upon to help control the black bear population.
Nevertheless, Rogan’s experience is not without precedent. In November 2013, reality TV star Melissa Bachman suffered similar Internet backlash after posting pictures of a dead lion she hunted in South Africa.
Image via Facebook
Mike Fenn is a former contributor to the Daily Dot whose beats included Reddit, YouTube, and all things WTF. His work has also appeared in Forbes and News.com.au.