- Every installment of Hulu’s ‘Into the Dark,’ ranked Today 6:00 AM
- The internet is mocking Robert Mueller’s report deadline Friday 7:53 PM
- Instagram blocks some anti-vax hashtags—but still has far to go Friday 6:20 PM
- Study: Netflix released more originals than licensed titles last year Friday 2:26 PM
- Laura Ingraham, Dinesh D’Souza slam journalist for having a job Friday 1:40 PM
- Netflix is testing a cheap-as-hell mobile-only plan Friday 1:08 PM
- Astrology app Co-Star’s bizarre push notifications are now a meme Friday 12:18 PM
- ‘The Dirt’ offers a sanitized history of Mötley Crüe—but why? Friday 11:42 AM
- ‘The Dirt’ director Jeff Tremaine on Mötley Crüe’s long, difficult road to Netflix Friday 11:30 AM
- Here’s video of yet another alleged gunman looking for YouTuber Adam22 Friday 11:09 AM
- 12 mugs that are absolutely purr-fect for cat enthusiasts Friday 10:58 AM
- Jared Kushner used WhatsApp for official White House business Friday 10:50 AM
- Unsettled Tom memes are on the rise Friday 10:36 AM
- Trans student nominated for prom king told by administration to run for queen Friday 10:07 AM
- Trump turns on his favorite cable news network Friday 8:56 AM
Amazon sets first original standup special with Jim Gaffigan’s ‘Quality Time’
From Mrs. Maisel to Mr. Universe.
Amazon has seen quite a bit of success with its fictional standup series, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel. Now it’s starting to pad the stage with real standup specials, starting with Jim Gaffigan’s Quality Time.
The special will be recorded in March at the State Theatre in Minneapolis and marks the first original standup special from Amazon, which might be bulking up to compete with Netflix’s ever-expanding slate. Gaffigan also stars in the upcoming Amazon Studios film Troop Zero.
While this is Amazon’s first original standup title, it did release the series Inside Jokes in November 2018, which followed comedians in New York City and Los Angeles as they vie for a spot on the Just for Laughs New Faces showcase.
Quality Time is produced by Comedy Dynamics, which released Gaffigan’s previous special Noble Ape and has produced quite a few specials for Netflix.
Audra Schroeder is the Daily Dot’s senior entertainment writer, and she focuses on streaming, comedy, and music. Her work has previously appeared in the Austin Chronicle, the Dallas Observer, NPR, ESPN, Bitch, and the Village Voice. She is based in Austin, Texas.