- Pete Buttigieg mocked over ‘staged’ walking photo Today 12:22 PM
- Louise Linton deletes pro-Greta Thunberg Instagram post Today 10:58 AM
- ‘Crip Camp’ shows how a radical summer camp was monumental to the disability rights movement Today 9:08 AM
- How to live stream the 2020 Grammy Awards Today 7:00 AM
- Technology created deepfakes—does it have a way to stop them, too? Today 6:30 AM
- SESTA-FOSTA is ‘detrimental’ to sex workers’ safety, study confirms Today 6:00 AM
- Jeff Bezos’ girlfriend allegedly sent his nudes to her brother, who then leaked them Saturday 6:38 PM
- This Instagram account catches influencers in the wild Saturday 5:42 PM
- The best upcoming video games to look out for in February 2020 Saturday 5:23 PM
- TikTok teens use AirPods and Google Translate to secretly talk in class Saturday 4:32 PM
- Video shows corpses of coronavirus victims lying in China hospital Saturday 3:44 PM
- Kid meets Slipknot after drumming video goes viral Saturday 2:30 PM
- Channing Tatum responds to troll who tried to compare Jenna Dewan and Jessie J’s looks Saturday 1:46 PM
- Grindr pulls an ‘I don’t know her’ after Eminem suggests he uses the app Saturday 12:48 PM
- Here are the top 10 most popular Instagram models in 2020 Saturday 12:21 PM
The 2020 Oscar nominations are out and Jennifer Lopez has been snubbed.
Lopez’s portrayal of Ramona in Hustlers, an adaptation of Jessica Pressler’s New York article about strippers with a side hustle, was critically lauded and she landed a Golden Globe nomination for the role. The movie was a hit at the box office, but she was shut out of the best-supporting actress category, despite a grassroots Oscar campaign.
Lots of people weren’t pleased.
Jennifer Lopez was snubbed from her first ever Oscar nomination so others could be recognized for playing the same basic white women characters 🤬🤦🏻♂️ pic.twitter.com/feVq2UFYxA— Ron Rubin (@ronaldrubin) January 13, 2020
THE FAREWELL and HUSTLERS were two truly original, excellent and PROFITABLE films both written and directed by women and their total shut-out is discouraging. #Oscars— Jenellicle Riley (@jenelleriley) January 13, 2020
Bananas that Jennifer Lopez got snubbed. Phenomenal in Hustlers. Hustler’s got dismissed as ”Scorsese Lite” or ”Goodfellas with Strippers”. Maybe it would have gotten nominated for some stuff if they were clowns and the director was an insufferable blowhard 🤷♂️ pic.twitter.com/2544cPuRs2— Gus the Theater Cat Stan Account (@BuddyKetelle) January 13, 2020
Jennifer Lopez, Lupita Nyong'o, and Awkwafina are all snubbed while Scarlett Johansson gets double nominated. 🤔🤔🤔— Michael Yerxa (@mikeyerxa) January 13, 2020
Hustlers director Lorene Scafaria was also shut out; in fact, no women were nominated in the best director category.
People were also calling out the snubbing of Lulu Wang’s The Farewell, as well as Lupita Nyong’o’s performance in Us.
Audra Schroeder is the Daily Dot’s senior entertainment writer, and she focuses on streaming, comedy, and music. Her work has previously appeared in the Austin Chronicle, the Dallas Observer, NPR, ESPN, Bitch, and the Village Voice. She is based in Austin, Texas.