- Lawsuit alleges woman was kidnapped by Lyft driver and gang-raped 2 Years Ago
- Facebook and Ray-Ban want to replace smartphones with smart glasses 2 Years Ago
- Sirfetch’d is the gallant new Pokémon winning everyone’s heart 2 Years Ago
- Danielle Cohn’s dad says she’s not really 15 years old Today 2:14 PM
- Chilling ad by Sandy Hook Promise features kids using school supplies during a shooting Today 1:50 PM
- Don’t fall victim to this Venmo texting scam Today 1:18 PM
- Here’s what’s coming and going on Netflix in October 2019 Today 12:55 PM
- Marvel just turned Goldballs into one of the most powerful X-Men Today 12:33 PM
- Every house in ‘Skyrim’ and how to get them all Today 12:28 PM
- How to stream all the Week 3 NFL action Today 12:14 PM
- Taylor Swift has some thoughts on the end of ‘Game of Thrones’ Today 12:14 PM
- Notre Dame, Georgia, and how to stream college football’s must-watch Week 4 Today 11:52 AM
- Prominent Democratic donor Ed Buck charged with running drug house tied to fatal overdoses Today 11:45 AM
- Merriam-Webster recognizes use of singular ‘they’ for nonbinary people Today 11:39 AM
- VSCO dogs are here, and they’re just barely putting up with it Today 11:38 AM
Viewers watching the British Academy Film Awards on Sunday night were left with a bad taste in their mouth after actress Jennifer Lawrence seemingly threw shade at British actress Joanna Lumley. But not so fast, Larence says.
Lumley, the 2017 recipient of the BAFTA Fellowship award, gave Lawrence a hearty welcome to the stage at the awards show. Lawrence was announcing the winner for outstanding British film.
“And we start with the award for outstanding British film and who better to kick the whole evening off than the hottest actress on the planet,” she said. “Soon to be seen in Red Sparrow, it’s the ravishing Jennifer Lawrence.”
When Lawrence took the mic, she only mustered a half-hearted response.
“Hi, that was a bit much but thank you Joanna,” she said.
Lawrence addressed the drama on Magic Radio with show host Ronan Keating on Monday and said the whole thing was just an inside joke between her and Lumley. Apparently, Lawrence had jokingly told Lumley to go all out when she presented her that evening, and when Lumley followed through Lawrence was unsure how to react onstage.
Watchers shared on Twitter that they felt Lawrence’s response was disrespectful.
How rude was Jennifer Lawrence to Joanna Lumley? #EEBAFTAs— Renu Ame Naggayar (@RenuAmeNaggayar) February 18, 2018
Oof, the palpable awkwardness from Jennifer Lawrence throwing shade at Joanna Lumley as she stepped on the stage. Granted, whoever wrote "hottest actress in the world" into the autocue should have been taken aside for being a twit.— Mathew Buck (@FB_BMB) February 18, 2018
Jennifer Lawrence was unnecessarily rude then wasn’t she? #EEBAFTAs didn’t think there was any need for that reply to Joanna Lumley.— Sharon Radcliffe (@SharonLSlater) February 18, 2018
Whether a shade queen or conspirator besties with Lumley, the internet can’t get enough of Lawrence’s onstage antics.
Tess Cagle is a reporter who focuses on politics, lifestyle, and streaming entertainment. Her work has appeared in the New York Times, Texas Monthly, the Austin American-Statesman, Damn Joan, and Community Impact Newspaper. She’s also a portrait, events, and live music photographer in Central Texas.