- 2020 Democrats refuse to answer our questions about ‘Cats’ Friday 4:14 PM
- Belle Delphine’s Instagram account removed after mass reporting campaign Friday 4:08 PM
- Mariah Carey refuses old-age FaceApp challenge Friday 3:19 PM
- Journalists horrified by consolidation of Gatehouse, Gannett Friday 3:12 PM
- Facebook and Google could be tracking you on porn sites Friday 1:42 PM
- 7 best sites for psychic love readings Friday 1:20 PM
- Driver demonstrates why you always need to read road signs Friday 12:58 PM
- Area 51 remix video proves it’s the summer of Lil Nas X Friday 12:26 PM
- ‘ICE will come’: Convenience store clerk threatens customers speaking Spanish Friday 12:11 PM
- Rand Paul dodges questions about 9/11 Victims Fund, says ‘watch Fox News’ Friday 11:51 AM
- Report: ‘Stranger Things’ season 4 to begin shooting in October Friday 11:03 AM
- AT&T paid Michael Cohen to consult on net neutrality, FBI documents show Friday 9:10 AM
- Mysterio’s ruse changes on a second viewing of ‘Far From Home’ Friday 9:06 AM
- Twitter overturns Barrett Brown’s third permanent suspension Friday 8:49 AM
- How to live stream Liga MX Friday 7:56 AM
From college hobby to digital media empire, Jenn Im’s channel Clothes Encounters is making high fashion accessible to all.
In six years, Jen Im has grown her YouTube channel Clothes Encounters from a college hobby into a digital media empire. And though she might just seem like another face in YouTube’s crowded lifestyle vlogging field, Im is setting herself apart by developing new ways to make fashion accessible and engaging to her 1.6 million subscribers.
Im’s style is undefinable, which is empowering for viewers: It plants the seed that if Im can confidently experiment with her style, so can we! If I had to attempt to describe Im’s aesthetic, I would start with “Boho meets Free People, mixed with Korean American influences, for a look that changes every single day.” Her ability to be a chameleon makes each outfit feel versatile and instills in fans the idea that there are countless options on how they too can incorporate high fashion into their style.
“Fashion isn’t supposed to be exclusive,” Im shared in a past interview with Vice. “I hate the perception of ‘fashion’ being an enclosed clique. It’s this thought mentality that pushes away and intimidates most people. Wearing clothes is an act in which everyone has to participate, so why not have a little fun? I think vlogging has made fashion more approachable because you might think, ‘Hey, she’s really short like me. Maybe I can wear that too.’”
A photo posted by Jenn Im 💓 임도희 (@imjennim) on
But what really stands out about Im is the conversational and authentic nature she brings to each video. It’s as if she’s sitting down to swap advice with an old friend instead of the 1.6 million nameless viewers tuning in each week. It’s this desire to connect that inspired Im’s app, which features monthly themes, exclusive video series, and the chance for community members to upload their own Outfit of the Day photos as style inspiration to others.
“A lot of the times on Instagram or Twitter, a lot of things get drowned out and it gets difficult for me to keep track of everything, but on my app I’m going to be able to take it directly from my subscribers,” Im recently told Bustle.
While we all won’t be RSVP-ing to fashion week or spending our weekends in a variety of heels, Im reminds us to embrace the fashion styles that make us feel fabulous inside and out. And that’s a message even my yoga pants can get behind.
Screengrab via clothesencounters/YouTube
Carly Lanning is a journalist who covers social media. Her work has been published by Psychology Today, NBC, Thrillist, and Ms. Magazine.