- Trump unveils ‘workshopped’ nickname for Bernie Sanders 1 Year Ago
- This Kickstarter needs $4,000 to digitally erase the rat from ‘The Departed’ 1 Year Ago
- Welcome to Bernie 2020 Twitter, same as Bernie 2016 Twitter 1 Year Ago
- Bernie Sanders memes resurface after 2020 bid announcement Today 6:27 AM
- How to survive and thrive in Metro Exodus Today 6:00 AM
- How to stream ‘Survivor’ for free Today 5:30 AM
- The simple way to connect Apple TV and HomePod Today 5:00 AM
- How to watch Juventus vs. Atletico Madrid online for free Today 5:00 AM
- Black man films ‘Crosswalk Cathy’ yelling racist slurs at him Tuesday 6:47 PM
- Guerrilla artists turn John Oliver billboard ad into right-wing meme Tuesday 4:20 PM
- Netflix lines up unnecessarily good cast for ‘Green Eggs and Ham’ Tuesday 3:48 PM
- Netflix drops trailer for Mötley Crüe biopic ‘The Dirt’—and the cast is wild Tuesday 3:41 PM
- QAnon’s repetitive posts are alienating even his most ardent supporters Tuesday 3:36 PM
- Noah Cyrus cries on Instagram after Lil Xan’s baby announcement Tuesday 2:26 PM
- The ‘Well yes, but actually no’ meme is here to help you explain things Tuesday 12:07 PM
Gigi and Bella Hadid pose nude for Vogue—and they’re getting s**t for it
Posing with nothing but wet hair, commenters on social media are pointing out how the sisters look almost unrecognizable and are claiming that the sisters are digitally altered to the point of being unrecognizable to their audience. “They photoshopped Bella’s beauty out of her face,” wrote one Twitter user.
they photoshopped bella's beauty out of her face
— 𝐯𝐢𝐨𝐥𝐞𝐭 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐜𝐡𝐤𝐢 (@nationalslut) January 30, 2018
Bella is unrecognisable. “New Vogue” same old beauty standards.
— Natalie B (@hardtochase) January 30, 2018
Amid Photoshop allegations, the photo is also making some people very uncomfortable due to its sexual nature, which captures the sisters (Bella is 21, and Gigi is 22) posing nude beside each other.
Although receiving praise from much of their audience, the sister’s joint photo is causing a stir in the comments of Vogue‘s editor-in-chief, Edward Enninful’s Instagram and Twitter. People have a problem with the sister’s positioning in the shot, which shows Gigi’s bare legs, wrapped around Bella’s body, almost straddling each other.
gross that their faces were photoshopped to this extent. super gross that two siblings were asked to pose like this.
— juwayriyya (@mutantpasta) January 30, 2018
Some are calling Vogue out, claiming the magazine is sexualizing the sisters’ relationship. “Would two brothers pose this way?” one user asks. “Let’s try to not make women into such sexual objects…” they comment. “I thought we were getting away from sexualizing young women,” another Twitter user wrote. Many are calling the photo just flat-out “weird” and “creepy.”
I thought we were getting away from sexualizing young women..
— DS (@DsJetskifast) January 30, 2018
Bella and Gigi have not voiced concerns yet about the photos. Gigi wrote via Instagram on Monday that she was, “Very honored to be your March cover girl, Thank you thank you thank you.”
Carlos Devora is a journalist and social media marketer. He is based in Austin, Texas.