- Up to 20 states are banding together to probe Facebook, Google 2 Years Ago
- Get your tinker on with the Electronic Games Advent Calendar 2 Years Ago
- Why Joe Biden has big Jeb Bush energy 2 Years Ago
- Trump quotes conspiracy theorist saying he’s the ‘second coming of God’ Today 9:04 AM
- Parkland teens announce massive gun reform proposal Today 9:04 AM
- Here’s how you can get a free palm reading online Today 8:48 AM
- ‘The Matrix 4’ is happening with Keanu Reeves and Carrie-Anne Moss Today 7:17 AM
- Fantasy football 2019: Your team-by-team NFC preview Today 7:00 AM
- The 10 best science podcasts to teach you about our world Today 6:00 AM
- How to make sure you have access to every Instagram filter Today 6:00 AM
- Trump accuses Jewish Democrats of having ‘great disloyalty’ or a ‘lack of knowledge’ Tuesday 8:02 PM
- 1 million ‘anonymous’ users of popular porn site exposed in breach Tuesday 6:56 PM
- Khloé Kardashian angers followers with a calorie-counting joke about True Tuesday 6:14 PM
- Spider-Man may no longer be part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe Tuesday 5:28 PM
- Robert De Niro’s company is suing ex-employee for binge-watching Netflix at work Tuesday 4:41 PM
Posing with nothing but wet hair, commenters on social media are pointing out how the sisters look almost unrecognizable and are claiming that the sisters are digitally altered to the point of being unrecognizable to their audience. “They photoshopped Bella’s beauty out of her face,” wrote one Twitter user.
they photoshopped bella's beauty out of her face— 𝐯𝐢𝐯𝐢𝐞𝐧 𝐥𝐞𝐢𝐠𝐡 (@nationalslut) January 30, 2018
Bella is unrecognisable. “New Vogue” same old beauty standards.— Natalie B (@hardtochase) January 30, 2018
Amid Photoshop allegations, the photo is also making some people very uncomfortable due to its sexual nature, which captures the sisters (Bella is 21, and Gigi is 22) posing nude beside each other.
Although receiving praise from much of their audience, the sister’s joint photo is causing a stir in the comments of Vogue‘s editor-in-chief, Edward Enninful’s Instagram and Twitter. People have a problem with the sister’s positioning in the shot, which shows Gigi’s bare legs, wrapped around Bella’s body, almost straddling each other.
gross that their faces were photoshopped to this extent. super gross that two siblings were asked to pose like this.— juwayriyya (@mutantpasta) January 30, 2018
Some are calling Vogue out, claiming the magazine is sexualizing the sisters’ relationship. “Would two brothers pose this way?” one user asks. “Let’s try to not make women into such sexual objects…” they comment. “I thought we were getting away from sexualizing young women,” another Twitter user wrote. Many are calling the photo just flat-out “weird” and “creepy.”
I thought we were getting away from sexualizing young women..— DS (@DsJetskifast) January 30, 2018
Bella and Gigi have not voiced concerns yet about the photos. Gigi wrote via Instagram on Monday that she was, “Very honored to be your March cover girl, Thank you thank you thank you.”
Carlos Devora is a journalist and social media marketer. He is based in Austin, Texas.