- Riots break out after a fake email about coronavirus went viral Thursday 8:59 PM
- Bloomberg edits debate clip to make other Democratic candidates appear speechless Thursday 7:50 PM
- Dad claims YouTube refuses to remove video of daughter’s murder Thursday 6:36 PM
- Video of Kanye leaving Kim in elevator to carry all their bags has people cackling Thursday 6:19 PM
- Orlando Bloom’s tattoo misspelled son’s name because of Pinterest Thursday 5:35 PM
- The Ahi Challenge is the latest dance taking over TikTok Thursday 4:40 PM
- Show criticized for putting rape victim in blackface to protect her identity Thursday 3:42 PM
- Woman becomes viral sensation after iconic ‘Shallow’ subway video Thursday 2:48 PM
- Prettyboyfredo tried to gift a bullied teen some $30,000 Nikes at school—he got detained Thursday 2:13 PM
- ‘Vanderpump Rules’ recap: Wedding bells and blows Thursday 1:50 PM
- A 16-year-old made a ‘meme guide’ to help her dad understand online trends Thursday 1:46 PM
- UCLA drops plans to use facial recognition after student pushback Thursday 1:07 PM
- ‘Star Trek: Picard’ recap, episode 5: ‘Stardust City Rag’ Thursday 12:56 PM
- Roger Stone sentenced to 40 months in prison Thursday 12:45 PM
- New The 1975 music video is full of memes you’ll love Thursday 12:28 PM
Anyone who’s looking for a celebrity friendship of epically heartwarming proportions may have found their men in Brad Pitt and Frank Ocean. The longtime Hollywood leading man and the R&B singer-songwriter were both at the 2017 FYF Fest in Los Angeles on Saturday night, with Ocean crooning to the 53-year-old actor in a dramatic cameo paired with the Jackson 5’s 1971 hit single, “Never Can Say Goodbye.”
The audience seemed to enjoy the unexpected cameo, based on its reaction when the enormous onstage screens flashed to Pitt’s face while he held a phone to his ear, a forlorn look on his face. Video from the performance shows that Pitt’s presence whipped up some cheers from the crowd, and judging from reactions on social media, it seems like it must’ve been a pretty cool moment of recognition of the pair’s recently public friendliness.
more invested in the brad pitt frank ocean friendship than anything i've got goin on rn— hunter harris (@hunteryharris) July 23, 2017
frank ocean, spike jonze, and brad pitt all on the same stage. I hope everyone there appreciates the magnitude of what they just saw— brian (@briankinnes) July 23, 2017
Fam has Brad Pitt on stage staring in a live silent film.— Indigo Purple (@JoeyPurps) July 23, 2017
In May, Pitt offered some seemingly earnest praise for Ocean and his music in an interview with GQ Style, commenting on how he’d recently started listening to R&B and found himself disarmed by Ocean’s artistic honesty.
“I’ve been listening to a lot of Frank Ocean,” Pitt told the magazine. “I find this young man so special. Talk about getting to the raw truth. He’s painfully honest. He’s very, very special. I can’t find a bad one.”
Pitt praised Ocean’s music for helping him emotionally navigate his divorce from fellow star actor Angelina Jolie, a fact which apparently moved Ocean to wear a shirt with Pitt’s face on it during a concert in June, according to the New York Daily News. He also dedicated the song to Pitt on Saturday night.
“This is for our special friend,” Ocean said, after it was over.
Chris Tognotti is a frequent contributor for the Daily Dot. He’s a news and current events writer based out of Berkeley, California, and a co-host of the podcast Now We Know. While he specializes in domestic politics and opinion writing, he’s also savvy on sports, video games, and film.