- Here’s what’s coming and going on Hulu in July 2019 1 Year Ago
- This biotech company’s logo is almost straight out of Resident Evil Today 1:26 PM
- Trump says mass deportations to start next week Today 12:28 PM
- GOP pollster bothered by broken elevator in Austria blames socialism Today 10:50 AM
- YouTuber renames small town ‘Gay Hell’ to defy Trump Pride policy Today 10:43 AM
- John Cusack blames Twitter bot for anti-Semitic tweet Today 10:18 AM
- YouTube rapper who glorifies pimping has been charged with human trafficking Today 10:09 AM
- Amy Klobuchar lists net neutrality as part of her 100-day plan for presidency Today 8:54 AM
- Reddit just banned the NBA Streams subreddit Today 8:17 AM
- How to watch ‘Drunk History’ for free Today 8:00 AM
- Netflix’s ‘Unit 42’ soars on the chemistry of its unlikely lead partners Today 7:30 AM
- How to watch ‘Good Trouble’ for free Today 7:00 AM
- It’s time for Pete Buttigieg to claim his status as Short King Today 6:30 AM
- The best foreign-language TV shows on Netflix Today 6:00 AM
- Hasan Minhaj explains why your internet sucks in ‘Patriot Act’ episode, puts it on DVD Monday 8:41 PM
Gage Skidmore/Flickr (CC-BY-SA)
Family Guy creator Seth MacFarlane came clean about the show’s 13-year-old Kevin Spacey joke that resurfaced in light of sexual assault reports made against the actor in October.
The joke took place in a 2005 episode, when Stewie runs naked through a mall and screams, “Help! I’ve escaped from Kevin Spacey’s basement!” The joke came under scrutiny after actor Anthony Rapp said that Spacey sexually assaulted him at an apartment party in 1986 when Rapp was 14.
At a Television Critics Association Winter Press Tour panel last week, MacFarlane said he was unaware of the rumors surrounding Spacey at the time of the episode.
“I don’t remember who pitched the joke,” he said. “I remember when it was pitched… that was a rumor I had actually not heard and other people in the writers’ room had. And it had to be sort of explained to me: ‘Oh, there’s this rumor that’s going on.’”
Neither Spacey nor fellow executive producer Alec Sulkin could remember who came up with the joke. But because the rumor was public, it was apparently able to pass Fox’s Broadcast and Standards department, according to Sulkin.
“It’s one of the things in terms of Standards where if they heard the rumors, as we have, then they’ll allow it,” he said.
Executive producer Rich Appel echoed his partner’s sentiment. “That’s one standard — if there’s some rumor out there that’s been public,” he said. “The other one is if it seems outrageous and no one could possibly believe it’s true, and some of those have come to pass, too. When they were aired, you thought, ‘Well, this is never going to happen.’”
Bryan Rolli is a reporter who specializes in streaming entertainment. He writes about music and film for Forbes, Billboard, and the Austin American-Statesman. He met Flavor Flav in two separate Las Vegas bowling alleys and still can’t stop talking about it.