- Ninja mocked for not knowing how to make a sandwich Wednesday 9:30 PM
- Marvel comics writer discusses misogyny in the industry Wednesday 9:09 PM
- TikTok conspiracy theorists think Juice WRLD is still alive Wednesday 7:03 PM
- Conservatives are protesting YouTube’s new harassment rules Wednesday 5:36 PM
- YouTuber’s ‘creepy’ comment about Taylor Swift’s eggs gets ratioed Wednesday 5:31 PM
- Bloomberg razzed for accidentally making an Alexa Fleshlight Wednesday 5:29 PM
- Who is putting cowboy hats on pigeons? Wednesday 4:33 PM
- Scammer reportedly bribed Facebook employee to keep posts up Wednesday 3:36 PM
- The 1975’s singer criticized for ‘Islamophobic’ rant Wednesday 3:22 PM
- Ready to dish out $52K for Apple’s new Mac Pro? Wednesday 3:03 PM
- N.K. Jemisin and Jamal Campbell discuss their new Green Lantern comic, ‘Far Sector’ Wednesday 3:00 PM
- YouTube says it will be harsher on creators with ‘patterns of harassing behavior’ Wednesday 1:15 PM
- Why one senator stopped a vote on net neutrality Wednesday 12:49 PM
- Man reportedly denied refugee status after officials fail to forward email Wednesday 12:09 PM
- ‘Jojo Rabbit’ star to lead Disney+ ‘Home Alone’ reboot Wednesday 12:08 PM
Two weeks after tweeting a suicide message that sent much of Twitter into a panic, popular streamer Etika is trending nationally for an anti-Semitic tweet.
During an online rant that featured dozens and dozens of tweets on Monday morning, Etika—who has nearly 300,000 followers on Twitter—wrote, “Fuck the Jews.” He has since deleted that tweet, but it was captured by screenshot nonetheless.
Among other tweets he produced Monday, Etika wrote a homophobic slur and intimated that he’s immortal and a god.
He also wrote messages like “It’s too late to stop me. I can’t be deleted now. My roar now echoes in the hearts of man,” and “You tiny brained mortals always DID fear what you couldn’t comprehend. That’s why you all died in Bird Box, when you looked at me.”
The police apparently have responded, and Etika told officers that he makes “a lot of porn.”
Eventually, police entered his home and detained him while he was streaming on Instagram Live.
Anyway everyone has left his apt and the phone is on the floor just facing up streaming the underside of the table. That’s your daily IG live drama for the day! Here’s when the police came in pic.twitter.com/h3xsFz19aF— Taylor Lorenz (@TaylorLorenz) April 29, 2019
Etika just got arrested live on instagram by nypd pic.twitter.com/ilGdf1xBYb— Rod Breslau (@Slasher) April 29, 2019
as pointed out, not arrested, detained is a better word. what happened to just yelling about smash bros man— Rod Breslau (@Slasher) April 29, 2019
It’s another strange act from the streamer whose real name is Daniel Desmond Amofah. Earlier this month, he tweeted a suicide message that read “I am about to shoot myself in the forehead, with a pistol I purchased from a gun shop in long island. Bury me in [Brooklyn].”
That worried his fans on Twitter, particularly when his friend Alice Pika detailed his mindset before he was taken into police custody. As she wrote at the time, “Please don’t leave this conversation. Mental Health is critical. Don’t bury your feelings. Look after your friends. Have compassion. Forgive yourself and others who hurt you. Heal from your past by confronting it. Trust those that love you.”
On Monday, Pika revealed that Etika had blocked her on Twitter.
She wrote, “I can’t help him anymore, guys. I tried my best and failed. He’s hurt and lied to me and everyone yet again. I have my own life to live. My heart is ready to love another person. I can’t, for my own sanity’s sake, continue to worry over him. He’s not going to ever hurt himself.”
Etika is permanently banned from YouTube, and last year, he was punished by Twitch after using a homophobic slur on a live stream.
This article has been updated to reflect that Etika was detained, not arrested.
- Popular streamer Etika freaks out fans with suicidal message
- This streamer violently flung his dog during a broadcast—and people are disgusted
- Twitch star TF Blade banned for racial slur—but he swears he didn’t say it
- Twitch star AriLove latest woman to be arbitrarily banned for ‘sexually suggestive’ attire
Josh Katzowitz is a staff writer at the Daily Dot specializing in YouTube and boxing. His work has appeared in the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, Washington Post, and Los Angeles Times. A longtime sports writer, he's covered the NFL for CBSSports.com and boxing for Forbes. His work has been noted twice in the Best American Sports Writing book series.