- Genius turns Kylie Jenner’s ‘rise and shine’ meme into alarm ringtone 6 Months Ago
- In ‘Tell Me Who I Am,’ twin brothers grapple with hidden trauma 6 Months Ago
- Panama Papers law firm sues Netflix over ‘The Laundromat’ Today 3:07 PM
- ‘Motherless Brooklyn’ is a gorgeous noir with little below the surface Today 1:14 PM
- Jameela Jamil and Sara Sampaio got in a Twitter feud over ‘long-starved’ models Today 12:52 PM
- Freddie Prinze Jr. will straight-up school you about the Force don’t @ him Today 12:18 PM
- Woman hosts Instagram funeral after she ‘killed’ $102K in student debt Today 11:45 AM
- YouTube beats Netflix as go-to streaming platform for teens Today 11:41 AM
- The tallest man in America posts emotional YouTube video from hospital room Today 11:31 AM
- Nintendo Switch subreddit implodes amid Hong Kong protests Today 11:14 AM
- Biden yelling at Warren becomes relatable workplace meme Today 10:33 AM
- Tulsi Gabbard was conservatives’ favorite debater Today 10:07 AM
- ‘Rogue One’ co-writer to direct several episodes, write the pilot for Cassian Andor series Today 9:50 AM
- ‘The Two Popes’: Anthony Hopkins and Jonathan Pryce shine in Netflix’s pope comedy Today 8:57 AM
- AOC, ‘Squad’ to endorse Bernie Sanders Today 8:44 AM
Two weeks after tweeting a suicide message that sent much of Twitter into a panic, popular streamer Etika is trending nationally for an anti-Semitic tweet.
During an online rant that featured dozens and dozens of tweets on Monday morning, Etika—who has nearly 300,000 followers on Twitter—wrote, “Fuck the Jews.” He has since deleted that tweet, but it was captured by screenshot nonetheless.
Among other tweets he produced Monday, Etika wrote a homophobic slur and intimated that he’s immortal and a god.
He also wrote messages like “It’s too late to stop me. I can’t be deleted now. My roar now echoes in the hearts of man,” and “You tiny brained mortals always DID fear what you couldn’t comprehend. That’s why you all died in Bird Box, when you looked at me.”
The police apparently have responded, and Etika told officers that he makes “a lot of porn.”
Eventually, police entered his home and detained him while he was streaming on Instagram Live.
Anyway everyone has left his apt and the phone is on the floor just facing up streaming the underside of the table. That’s your daily IG live drama for the day! Here’s when the police came in pic.twitter.com/h3xsFz19aF— Taylor Lorenz (@TaylorLorenz) April 29, 2019
Etika just got arrested live on instagram by nypd pic.twitter.com/ilGdf1xBYb— Rod Breslau (@Slasher) April 29, 2019
as pointed out, not arrested, detained is a better word. what happened to just yelling about smash bros man— Rod Breslau (@Slasher) April 29, 2019
It’s another strange act from the streamer whose real name is Daniel Desmond Amofah. Earlier this month, he tweeted a suicide message that read “I am about to shoot myself in the forehead, with a pistol I purchased from a gun shop in long island. Bury me in [Brooklyn].”
That worried his fans on Twitter, particularly when his friend Alice Pika detailed his mindset before he was taken into police custody. As she wrote at the time, “Please don’t leave this conversation. Mental Health is critical. Don’t bury your feelings. Look after your friends. Have compassion. Forgive yourself and others who hurt you. Heal from your past by confronting it. Trust those that love you.”
On Monday, Pika revealed that Etika had blocked her on Twitter.
She wrote, “I can’t help him anymore, guys. I tried my best and failed. He’s hurt and lied to me and everyone yet again. I have my own life to live. My heart is ready to love another person. I can’t, for my own sanity’s sake, continue to worry over him. He’s not going to ever hurt himself.”
Etika is permanently banned from YouTube, and last year, he was punished by Twitch after using a homophobic slur on a live stream.
This article has been updated to reflect that Etika was detained, not arrested.
- Popular streamer Etika freaks out fans with suicidal message
- This streamer violently flung his dog during a broadcast—and people are disgusted
- Twitch star TF Blade banned for racial slur—but he swears he didn’t say it
- Twitch star AriLove latest woman to be arbitrarily banned for ‘sexually suggestive’ attire
Josh Katzowitz is a staff writer at the Daily Dot specializing in YouTube and boxing. His work has appeared in the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, Washington Post, and Los Angeles Times. A longtime sports writer, he's covered the NFL for CBSSports.com and boxing for Forbes. His work has been noted twice in the Best American Sports Writing book series.