- A police union is urging its officers to post ‘The Punisher’ logo Monday 7:33 PM
- Redditors call for a Nestlé boycott through memes Monday 6:16 PM
- How a 10-second Disney jingle became a meme in Thailand Monday 4:48 PM
- Instagram users share photos showing gruesome killing of 17-year-old Bianca Devins Monday 4:33 PM
- The horror game banned for mocking China’s president probably isn’t coming back Monday 3:31 PM
- Cheap vibrators, condoms, and lube: The most satisfying Amazon Prime Day deals Monday 3:07 PM
- George R.R. Martin says fan backlash won’t affect his ‘Game of Thrones’ ending Monday 3:03 PM
- The very finest Area 51 memes Monday 2:52 PM
- Tweet map ranks states where people are boycotting Amazon Prime Day Monday 1:54 PM
- Lil Nas X says he will perform at Area 51 for free Monday 12:56 PM
- The best Prime Day deals for gamers Monday 12:53 PM
- How Republicans are dancing around Trump’s racist tweets Monday 12:42 PM
- Not even anti-immigrant groups are defending Trump’s ‘go back’ tweets Monday 12:37 PM
- Netflix’s latest chase thriller ‘Point Blank’ lacks electricity Monday 12:27 PM
- Jay Inslee floats Megan Rapinoe as his secretary of state pick Monday 11:33 AM
Feast your eyes.
We thought our hopes couldn’t possibly be any higher for the Deadpool movie than they were on Monday, when Ryan Reynolds and his alter ego Wade Wilson released a teaser trailer teasing tonight’s trailer release.
But now the moment—and the very NSFW trailer—are here. Friends, prepare to have your expectations blown away.
Unless Fox has managed to sneakily edit out all the terrible parts this movie is going to be amazing. Fans worried the studio would stint on the R rating and tone down the character’s notorious vocabulary have long had confirmation that their fears were unnecessary; but the biggest concern of all—that the story would erase the truly horrific, violent, and traumatic aspects of Wade’s origin story—also seems to have been null. It’s all here, including the years Wade spent being a one-man human testing lab for the vile Weapon X program, and the chronic pain and disfigurement it left him with.
Much of this trailer is taken from a reshoot of the original leaked test footage we all freaked out about more than a year ago, but it’s still awesome, and it comes with the promised Salt-n-Pepa soundtrack that early Comic-Con viewers loved.
Of course, astute fans are already pointing out problems, concomitant to recent negative reactions to Marvel comics and films appropriating black culture while leaving out creatives and cast members of color:
But hey, we’ve waited years for this film. Hopefully future looks will continue being totally awesome without making us wince in embarrassment due to a lack of diversity.
Deadpool lands in theaters Feb. 12. In the meantime, you can practice your best impression of the Merc with a Mouth while chowing down on tacos in his honor.
Screengrab via 20th Century Fox/YouTube
Aja Romano is a geek culture reporter and fandom expert. Their reporting at the Daily Dot covered everything from Harry Potter and anime to Tumblr and Gamergate. Romano joined Vox as a staff reporter in 2016.