- Who is Corn Pop? Here are all the theories about the gang leader from Joe Biden’s past Sunday 4:37 PM
- Fresh sexual misconduct allegations against Kavanaugh spur calls for impeachment Sunday 3:28 PM
- Mike Pence says a triple crown winning racehorse bit him Sunday 12:51 PM
- Disney CEO Bob Iger leaves Apple board amid streaming wars Sunday 12:01 PM
- Influencer Destiny Marquez faces backlash for berating Forever 21 employee Sunday 10:32 AM
- Chelsea Handler tackles system racism in ‘Hello Privilege. It’s Me, Chelsea’ Sunday 9:18 AM
- Gun control proposal: Trump, lawmakers considering background check-conducting app Sunday 9:05 AM
- How to stream Browns vs. Jets on Monday Night Football Sunday 7:00 AM
- What are anons? Sunday 6:30 AM
- How to stream Eagles vs. Falcons on Sunday Night Football Sunday 6:00 AM
- How to stream ‘Power’ season 6, episode 4 Sunday 5:00 AM
- How to stream WWE’s Clash of Champions 2019 Saturday 8:00 PM
- How ‘F*ck off Scotland’ became a Scottish rallying cry amid Brexit madness Saturday 6:28 PM
- A Missouri officer resigned after his Islamophobic Facebook posts surfaced Saturday 5:08 PM
- Adding ‘Triggered’ to stock photos of white men creates Netflix comedy special thumbnails Saturday 3:10 PM
The ‘Deadpool’ trailer is an expletive-laden delight
Feast your eyes.
We thought our hopes couldn’t possibly be any higher for the Deadpool movie than they were on Monday, when Ryan Reynolds and his alter ego Wade Wilson released a teaser trailer teasing tonight’s trailer release.
But now the moment—and the very NSFW trailer—are here. Friends, prepare to have your expectations blown away.
Unless Fox has managed to sneakily edit out all the terrible parts this movie is going to be amazing. Fans worried the studio would stint on the R rating and tone down the character’s notorious vocabulary have long had confirmation that their fears were unnecessary; but the biggest concern of all—that the story would erase the truly horrific, violent, and traumatic aspects of Wade’s origin story—also seems to have been null. It’s all here, including the years Wade spent being a one-man human testing lab for the vile Weapon X program, and the chronic pain and disfigurement it left him with.
Much of this trailer is taken from a reshoot of the original leaked test footage we all freaked out about more than a year ago, but it’s still awesome, and it comes with the promised Salt-n-Pepa soundtrack that early Comic-Con viewers loved.
Of course, astute fans are already pointing out problems, concomitant to recent negative reactions to Marvel comics and films appropriating black culture while leaving out creatives and cast members of color:
But hey, we’ve waited years for this film. Hopefully future looks will continue being totally awesome without making us wince in embarrassment due to a lack of diversity.
Deadpool lands in theaters Feb. 12. In the meantime, you can practice your best impression of the Merc with a Mouth while chowing down on tacos in his honor.
Screengrab via 20th Century Fox/YouTube
Aja Romano is a geek culture reporter and fandom expert. Their reporting at the Daily Dot covered everything from Harry Potter and anime to Tumblr and Gamergate. Romano joined Vox as a staff reporter in 2016.