- Amanda Palmer dragged for ‘demanding’ coverage of her music Thursday 8:33 PM
- How to get free TikTok followers without downloading a virus Thursday 7:57 PM
- Trump Jr.s ‘Triggered’ topped best-seller’s list with help of RNC Thursday 7:41 PM
- FBI raided millionaire YouTuber’s home, allegedly took everything Thursday 6:55 PM
- A fake Labour party website is spreading disinformation in Britain Thursday 6:16 PM
- Twitter bans cricket club for posting ISIS content in apparent hack Thursday 6:12 PM
- This dad remade his daughter’s NSFW photo—and people are loving it Thursday 5:51 PM
- Teen allegedly posted ‘slave for sale’ Craigslist ad featuring his Black classmate Thursday 5:28 PM
- People are crushed that this teen love story might be a TikTok ‘joke’ Thursday 4:50 PM
- Is Jacob Wohl evading his Twitter ban with Jack Burkman’s account? Thursday 2:06 PM
- Biden’s most perplexing debate answers, explained Thursday 2:03 PM
- How to stream Colts vs. Texans on Thursday Night Football Thursday 12:52 PM
- Netflix drops ‘A Christmas Prince: The Royal Baby’ trailer Thursday 12:43 PM
- Uber says it will audio-record rides to address safety concerns Thursday 12:41 PM
- ‘Avengers: Endgame’ writers go in-depth on how they decided which superheroes lived and died Thursday 12:22 PM
The ‘Deadpool’ trailer is an expletive-laden delight
Feast your eyes.
We thought our hopes couldn’t possibly be any higher for the Deadpool movie than they were on Monday, when Ryan Reynolds and his alter ego Wade Wilson released a teaser trailer teasing tonight’s trailer release.
But now the moment—and the very NSFW trailer—are here. Friends, prepare to have your expectations blown away.
Unless Fox has managed to sneakily edit out all the terrible parts this movie is going to be amazing. Fans worried the studio would stint on the R rating and tone down the character’s notorious vocabulary have long had confirmation that their fears were unnecessary; but the biggest concern of all—that the story would erase the truly horrific, violent, and traumatic aspects of Wade’s origin story—also seems to have been null. It’s all here, including the years Wade spent being a one-man human testing lab for the vile Weapon X program, and the chronic pain and disfigurement it left him with.
Much of this trailer is taken from a reshoot of the original leaked test footage we all freaked out about more than a year ago, but it’s still awesome, and it comes with the promised Salt-n-Pepa soundtrack that early Comic-Con viewers loved.
Of course, astute fans are already pointing out problems, concomitant to recent negative reactions to Marvel comics and films appropriating black culture while leaving out creatives and cast members of color:
But hey, we’ve waited years for this film. Hopefully future looks will continue being totally awesome without making us wince in embarrassment due to a lack of diversity.
Deadpool lands in theaters Feb. 12. In the meantime, you can practice your best impression of the Merc with a Mouth while chowing down on tacos in his honor.
Screengrab via 20th Century Fox/YouTube
Aja Romano is a geek culture reporter and fandom expert. Their reporting at the Daily Dot covered everything from Harry Potter and anime to Tumblr and Gamergate. Romano joined Vox as a staff reporter in 2016.