- What you need to know about Apple’s new streaming service 7 Months Ago
- Text-message fanfiction is taking over Instagram Today 1:54 PM
- Your Asus computer might have a secret backdoor Today 1:06 PM
- Trump is already fundraising off the Mueller report—even though no one’s seen it Today 1:01 PM
- Michael Avenatti charged with trying to extort $20 million from Nike Today 12:51 PM
- Logan Paul says being a YouTuber is ‘wack’ Today 12:14 PM
- James Comey posts from a forest in wake of Mueller report Today 10:35 AM
- These are the only online dating sites worth your time Today 10:29 AM
- Jameela Jamil sparks conversation about women having to make the ‘boyfriend excuse’ Today 10:23 AM
- Trump-Russia conspiracy theorists think they’ve found secrets in the Mueller report Today 9:32 AM
- Report: YouTube is done competing with Netflix, Amazon Today 9:27 AM
- Netflix drama ‘Coisa Mais Linda’ explores Bossa Nova clubs and women’s rights in Brazil Today 8:08 AM
- The best ‘Game of Thrones’ memes to get you pumped for season 8 Today 7:30 AM
- Amazon Echo Show (2nd Gen) vs Google Home Hub: Which is better? Today 7:00 AM
- Solange sings along to Ariana Grande on Instagram Stories—and fans are obsessed Today 6:37 AM
The “I Like It” singer apparently approached Minaj at the Harper’s Bazaar fete to clear the air about some rumors dealing with Cardi’s infant daughter, Kulture. At one point, according to TMZ, Cardi threw a shoe at Nicki, who apparently remained unfazed.
On Saturday, Cardi took to Instagram to address the altercation head-on. “I’ve let a lot of shit slide,” Cardi said in a text post. “I let you talk big shit about me!! I addressed you once in person, I addressed you a second time in person, and every time you copped the plea!! But when you mention my child, you choose to like comments about me as a mother, make comments about my abilities to take care of my daughter is when all bets are fuckin off!”
This seems to be the culmination of months of simmering tension between the two. Nicki and Cardi have had a beef since at least 2017, when Nicki called out the father of Cardi’s child, Offset, in a verse on “Swish Swish.” Tensions only heightened throughout last year, after the two guested on “Motor Sports” and insisted their respective verses weren’t filled with barbs about each other.
It’s another frustrating viral chapter in the story of rap’s two female titans; regardless of the incredible talent that both Nicki and Cardi have, there’s still so little room at the top for women. Whether the beef started out in earnest or was manufactured by a music industry and media that loves to pit women against each other, it’s leaped from innuendo to real-life punches.
CARDI B AND NICKI MINAJ FIGHT pic.twitter.com/Y3vDRmBwMq
— Mihaela (@mihaeladxl) September 8, 2018
Cardi was apparently escorted out of the party with one shoe and a large bump on her head. Nicki, for her part, hasn’t addressed the altercation.
Ellen Ioanes is the FOIA reporter at the Daily Dot, where she covers U.S. politics. She is a graduate of Columbia Journalism School, and her work has appeared in the Guardian, the Center for Public Integrity, HuffPost India, and more.