- Discord allegedly used to lure teenager boy to Florida trailer housing sex slave Tuesday 7:36 PM
- Millie Bobby Brown has the wrong take on ‘You’ Tuesday 6:42 PM
- Why is Tony Stark missing from the ‘Spider-Man: Far From Home’ trailer? Tuesday 6:00 PM
- The creepy texts this woman received are eerily similar to Netflix’s ‘You’ Tuesday 4:20 PM
- Roku defends decision to host InfoWars amid online backlash (updated) Tuesday 4:04 PM
- Pump yourself up for ‘Game of Thrones’ season 8 with this masterfully edited hype video Tuesday 2:35 PM
- NBC asked reporters not to call Steve King’s comments ‘racist’ Tuesday 2:21 PM
- Disney files copyright claim on YouTuber’s Darth Vader film—and the creator is devastated Tuesday 2:18 PM
- The ’10 Year Challenge’ isn’t as fun for trans people Tuesday 1:25 PM
- New Nike shoes can be controlled from your smartphone Tuesday 1:06 PM
- Cardi B. jumps on 10-year challenge with high school performance of Lady Gaga song Tuesday 12:28 PM
- Parents, teachers cry foul over Verizon fee hike for popular education app Tuesday 11:57 AM
- Conservative men are kicking and screaming about Gillette’s new toxic masculinity ad Tuesday 11:23 AM
- Mysterio is hot now in the ‘Spider-Man: Far From Home’ trailer Tuesday 10:53 AM
- Netflix hikes prices on all subscription plans Tuesday 10:48 AM
The “I Like It” singer apparently approached Minaj at the Harper’s Bazaar fete to clear the air about some rumors dealing with Cardi’s infant daughter, Kulture. At one point, according to TMZ, Cardi threw a shoe at Nicki, who apparently remained unfazed.
On Saturday, Cardi took to Instagram to address the altercation head-on. “I’ve let a lot of shit slide,” Cardi said in a text post. “I let you talk big shit about me!! I addressed you once in person, I addressed you a second time in person, and every time you copped the plea!! But when you mention my child, you choose to like comments about me as a mother, make comments about my abilities to take care of my daughter is when all bets are fuckin off!”
This seems to be the culmination of months of simmering tension between the two. Nicki and Cardi have had a beef since at least 2017, when Nicki called out the father of Cardi’s child, Offset, in a verse on “Swish Swish.” Tensions only heightened throughout last year, after the two guested on “Motor Sports” and insisted their respective verses weren’t filled with barbs about each other.
It’s another frustrating viral chapter in the story of rap’s two female titans; regardless of the incredible talent that both Nicki and Cardi have, there’s still so little room at the top for women. Whether the beef started out in earnest or was manufactured by a music industry and media that loves to pit women against each other, it’s leaped from innuendo to real-life punches.
CARDI B AND NICKI MINAJ FIGHT pic.twitter.com/Y3vDRmBwMq
— Mihaela (@mihaeladxl) September 8, 2018
Cardi was apparently escorted out of the party with one shoe and a large bump on her head. Nicki, for her part, hasn’t addressed the altercation.
Ellen Ioanes is the FOIA reporter at the Daily Dot, where she covers U.S. politics. She is a graduate of Columbia Journalism School, and her work has appeared in the Guardian, the Center for Public Integrity, HuffPost India, and more.