- Gabrielle Union deserves better from Terry Crews Tuesday 11:12 PM
- T.I. publicly apologizes to daughters after Kobe Bryant’s death Tuesday 8:46 PM
- ‘Squash the boss’: Labor union seemingly unknowingly posted furry fetish art Tuesday 8:04 PM
- TikTok user pretending to be lab technician who has contracted coronavirus Tuesday 7:08 PM
- Caroline Calloway says she plans to campaign for Bernie Sanders Tuesday 6:23 PM
- Justin Bieber, Snoop Dogg, millions of others sign petition to make Kobe Bryant new NBA logo Tuesday 5:39 PM
- No, Lana Del Rey did not cry because Billie Eilish won album of the year Tuesday 4:48 PM
- People are exposing their eyeballs to phone flash for this TikTok challenge Tuesday 3:55 PM
- Watch Mike Bloomberg try to shake a dog’s mouth Tuesday 3:41 PM
- ‘Rey who?’ is the funniest meme to emerge from ‘The Rise of Skywalker’ Tuesday 3:30 PM
- AI beat the CDC to the punch on coronavirus warnings Tuesday 3:21 PM
- What exactly is a ‘large boulder the size of a small boulder’? Tuesday 2:49 PM
- Mom of ‘Success Kid’ says Steve King can’t use her son’s meme for ‘repulsive’ campaign Tuesday 2:00 PM
- Jake Paul can’t escape Logan Paul’s shadow—even if that loyalty has hurt his career Tuesday 1:13 PM
- Kobe Bryant’s Oscar-winning ‘Dear Basketball’ is now available to stream for free (updated) Tuesday 12:21 PM
Just two days after reports that Fergie has left the Black Eyed Peas, an outlandish Reddit conspiracy theory alleges the members of the iconic pop group once performed in a live-action Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles production.
Redditor LarBrd33 put forth the theory in a comment thread Tuesday, saying the original Black Eyed Peas members (Fergie, Will.i.am., apl.de.ap, and Taboo) were originally cast in the lead roles of a Disney-esque live concert spectacle called “Coming Out of Their Shells”. It’s unclear who would have played whom.
The user said the Black Eyed Peas’ longterm label, Interscope Records, drew up the contract for the project with Pizza Hut.
“Upon completion of the tour, there was no longer a market for a turtle-themed follow-up album,” LarBrd33 explained. “Since the four ‘musicians’ were still under contract with Interscope, [co-founder Jimmy Iovine] rebranded them as laser-light spaceman themed children’s entertainers.”
And that’s, according to LarBrd33, how the Black Eyed Peas as we know them came to be.
“To everyone’s surprise… the simplified toddler lyrics and action figure aesthetic inexplicably became popular with a teenage audience and thus they continued to perform riveting songs like [‘My Humps’] and [‘Let’s Get It Started’] as a pop group marketed towards adult Top-20 radio,” the Redditor said.
The theory, of course, is ludicrous. But LarBrd33 even has an explanation of why there’s no evidence in favor of Black Eyed Peas members having once dressed up like Leonardo, Michelangelo, Donatello, and Raphael. The user said the record company “scrubbed away” any record of the performances.
“You’ll likely never see any behind the scenes stuff of Fergie/Will.i.am’s early days as Ninja Turtle costumed performers,” LarBrd33 said. “Interscope put a lot of effort into burying that history. Too much money at stake. They don’t want you to see how this particular Turtle Pea Soup was made.”
Interscope Records did not immediately respond to the Daily Dot’s request for comment.
Kris Seavers is the IRL editor for the Daily Dot. Her work has appeared in Central Texas publications, including Austin Monthly and San Antonio Magazine, and on NPR.