- Backpack Kid sues Fortnite developer over flossing emote Tuesday 5:38 PM
- Conservatives rage at Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez’s ‘week of self-care’ Tuesday 4:02 PM
- 2 inflatable snowmen fought in front of a combo KFC/Taco Bell Tuesday 2:47 PM
- How to watch the Boca Raton Bowl online for free Tuesday 2:43 PM
- DAZN KOs YouTube, Snapchat as (temporarily) the most downloaded app Tuesday 1:57 PM
- AT&T says it’s rolling out 5G service this week Tuesday 1:03 PM
- NY state senator tells woman staffer ‘Kill yourself!’ in a tweet Tuesday 12:54 PM
- This Lil Jon-Kool-Aid Man Christmas jam is as extra as you’d expect Tuesday 12:13 PM
- YouTube stars say unfair copyright claims are making their lives hell Tuesday 12:12 PM
- UPS deletes tweet about shredding letters to North Pole after huge backlash Tuesday 11:21 AM
- Viral petition leads to revised Holland Tunnel Christmas decor Tuesday 11:10 AM
- Paul Ryan’s self-serving farewell tour is the bane of the internet right now Tuesday 10:59 AM
- ‘Chilling Adventures of Sabrina’ renewed for seasons 3 and 4 Tuesday 10:59 AM
- Former NASA engineer dupes package thieves into opening this epic glitter bomb Tuesday 10:54 AM
- Trump officials withheld abortion from raped migrant teen Tuesday 10:21 AM
Reddit conspiracy alleges the Black Eyed Peas once performed as Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
This is wild.
Just two days after reports that Fergie has left the Black Eyed Peas, an outlandish Reddit conspiracy theory alleges the members of the iconic pop group once performed in a live-action Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles production.
Redditor LarBrd33 put forth the theory in a comment thread Tuesday, saying the original Black Eyed Peas members (Fergie, Will.i.am., apl.de.ap, and Taboo) were originally cast in the lead roles of a Disney-esque live concert spectacle called “Coming Out of Their Shells”. It’s unclear who would have played whom.
The user said the Black Eyed Peas’ longterm label, Interscope Records, drew up the contract for the project with Pizza Hut.
“Upon completion of the tour, there was no longer a market for a turtle-themed follow-up album,” LarBrd33 explained. “Since the four ‘musicians’ were still under contract with Interscope, [co-founder Jimmy Iovine] rebranded them as laser-light spaceman themed children’s entertainers.”
And that’s, according to LarBrd33, how the Black Eyed Peas as we know them came to be.
“To everyone’s surprise… the simplified toddler lyrics and action figure aesthetic inexplicably became popular with a teenage audience and thus they continued to perform riveting songs like [‘My Humps’] and [‘Let’s Get It Started’] as a pop group marketed towards adult Top-20 radio,” the Redditor said.
The theory, of course, is ludicrous. But LarBrd33 even has an explanation of why there’s no evidence in favor of Black Eyed Peas members having once dressed up like Leonardo, Michelangelo, Donatello, and Raphael. The user said the record company “scrubbed away” any record of the performances.
“You’ll likely never see any behind the scenes stuff of Fergie/Will.i.am’s early days as Ninja Turtle costumed performers,” LarBrd33 said. “Interscope put a lot of effort into burying that history. Too much money at stake. They don’t want you to see how this particular Turtle Pea Soup was made.”
Interscope Records did not immediately respond to the Daily Dot’s request for comment.
Kris Seavers is the Evening Editor for the Daily Dot, where she covers breaking news, politics, and LGBTQ issues. Her work has appeared in Central Texas publications, including Austin Monthly and San Antonio Magazine, and on NPR.