- Majority of threats made since El Paso and Dayton shootings have been made online Thursday 8:00 PM
- Miley Cyrus tweets about cheating allegations and penis cake drama Thursday 6:32 PM
- ‘The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance’ dazzles with a timely tale Thursday 6:00 PM
- The DOJ emailed a white nationalist blog post to immigration judges Thursday 5:31 PM
- The Amazon rainforest is on fire–and people are using memes to cope Thursday 4:11 PM
- Microsoft contractors listened in on Xbox users Thursday 2:15 PM
- Anti-vaxxer assaults pro-vaccine lawmaker on Facebook Live (updated) Thursday 2:15 PM
- Oreos licked by singer Lewis Capaldi are being auctioned off on eBay Thursday 1:54 PM
- Zach Braff predicted Sean Spicer would be on ‘Dancing With the Stars’ 2 years ago Thursday 1:38 PM
- NYPD sergeant who watched Eric Garner die punished with lost vacation days Thursday 1:27 PM
- Brie Larson haters have a meltdown over a joke about Thor’s hammer Thursday 1:26 PM
- This comedian attempted to make fun of women on Twitter—and it did not go over well Thursday 1:04 PM
- Logan Paul wants to help the Amazon rainforest Thursday 12:36 PM
- Nutaku announces redesign and filters for LGBTQ porn games (updated) Thursday 12:25 PM
- This video of dozens of inflatable mattresses taking off in the wind is perfect Thursday 12:20 PM
Just two days after reports that Fergie has left the Black Eyed Peas, an outlandish Reddit conspiracy theory alleges the members of the iconic pop group once performed in a live-action Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles production.
Redditor LarBrd33 put forth the theory in a comment thread Tuesday, saying the original Black Eyed Peas members (Fergie, Will.i.am., apl.de.ap, and Taboo) were originally cast in the lead roles of a Disney-esque live concert spectacle called “Coming Out of Their Shells”. It’s unclear who would have played whom.
The user said the Black Eyed Peas’ longterm label, Interscope Records, drew up the contract for the project with Pizza Hut.
“Upon completion of the tour, there was no longer a market for a turtle-themed follow-up album,” LarBrd33 explained. “Since the four ‘musicians’ were still under contract with Interscope, [co-founder Jimmy Iovine] rebranded them as laser-light spaceman themed children’s entertainers.”
And that’s, according to LarBrd33, how the Black Eyed Peas as we know them came to be.
“To everyone’s surprise… the simplified toddler lyrics and action figure aesthetic inexplicably became popular with a teenage audience and thus they continued to perform riveting songs like [‘My Humps’] and [‘Let’s Get It Started’] as a pop group marketed towards adult Top-20 radio,” the Redditor said.
The theory, of course, is ludicrous. But LarBrd33 even has an explanation of why there’s no evidence in favor of Black Eyed Peas members having once dressed up like Leonardo, Michelangelo, Donatello, and Raphael. The user said the record company “scrubbed away” any record of the performances.
“You’ll likely never see any behind the scenes stuff of Fergie/Will.i.am’s early days as Ninja Turtle costumed performers,” LarBrd33 said. “Interscope put a lot of effort into burying that history. Too much money at stake. They don’t want you to see how this particular Turtle Pea Soup was made.”
Interscope Records did not immediately respond to the Daily Dot’s request for comment.
Kris Seavers is the Evening Editor for the Daily Dot, where she covers breaking news, politics, and LGBTQ issues. Her work has appeared in Central Texas publications, including Austin Monthly and San Antonio Magazine, and on NPR.