- Milo Yiannopoulos receives lifetime ban from furry convention Monday 7:49 PM
- Snapchat just made all political ads purchased publicly available Monday 6:12 PM
- How to stream Barcelona vs. Borussia Dortmund in Champions League action Monday 5:39 PM
- How to stream Liverpool vs. Napoli in Champions League action Monday 5:19 PM
- How to make real money with Amazon’s Mechanical Turk Monday 5:03 PM
- How to stream Chelsea vs. Valencia in the Champions League group stage Monday 4:47 PM
- ‘SNL’ fires Shane Gillis for racist, homophobic comments Monday 4:41 PM
- Ben Shapiro wants accusers to describe Brett Kavanaugh’s penis Monday 4:30 PM
- Twitch suspends streamer for wearing Chun-Li cosplay Monday 4:11 PM
- Report: 8 years of Trump tax returns subpoenaed by prosecutors Monday 3:45 PM
- Netflix lands exclusive streaming rights to ‘Seinfeld’ Monday 3:34 PM
- Jenny Slate sets first comedy special at Netflix Monday 3:05 PM
- #EndSmearFear is aiming to save lives Monday 2:54 PM
- Netflix ‘Living With Yourself’ trailer offers a double dose of Paul Rudd Monday 2:07 PM
- How to stream the 2019-20 UEFA Champions League Monday 2:04 PM
Justin Bieber’s rider for his Purpose tour in India was leaked on Thursday, and the list is… extensive.
Many artists have been known for wild backstage demands, such as Beyoncé and Kanye West. Queen Bey’s rider asks that her dressing rooms be kept at 72 degrees, and be provided with “heavily seasoned” chicken legs and rose-scented candles. Kanye West, meanwhile, asks for a barber’s chair and a Coke and Hennessy slushy machine.
Bieber is no exception. In the leaked press release, he demands 10 luxury sedans, two buses for his entourage, a Rolls Royce, a private jet and helicopter to fly into the stadium, his own washing machine, redesigned hotel suites to his liking, a “special Indian Yoga Casket,” a masseuse flown in from Kerala, India, “cans of wild berries and vanilla room fresheners,” Dove body wash and lip balm, and the list goes on for hundreds more words.
Justin Bieber’s India tour rider includes a “Indian Yoga casket”, a jacuzzi and a press release that lists all his demands out for you. pic.twitter.com/afwHpMJHJM— Arjun S Ravi (@arjun_s_ravi) May 3, 2017
Some of the requested items are beyond excessive. Could Bieber truly be this much of a diva, or is he merely keeping venues in check? Celebrities often use riders as a way of holding venues to an extremely high standard. If the venue cannot hold up its promise to meet demands, the artist has the right to back out at any time, often with a partial or even full payment.
Live shows tend to be more dangerous than audiences realize, so some entertainers opt to protect themselves with overly specific demands. Attention to detail will reflect the venue’s attention to greater security demands. Or, maybe, Bieber just really loves the scent of vanilla.
Anastassia Gliadkovskaya is a lifestyle and politics reporter. Her work has been published by Empire State Tribune and Urban Watch magazine.