- Is Trump defiling the U.S. flag in this MAGA dude’s artwork? Sunday 4:41 PM
- White woman claims she invented sleep bonnets, selling them for $100 Sunday 4:03 PM
- Even real cats are transfixed by the enigma that is the ‘Cats’ trailer Sunday 3:04 PM
- Wait, how tall is Peppa Pig? Sunday 1:55 PM
- Twitter suspends Iranian state media outlets for harassing members of a religious minority Sunday 1:06 PM
- Pro-MAGA pageant queen stripped of title over ‘offensive’ tweets Sunday 11:52 AM
- Marvel unveiled its Phase 4 plans at San Diego Comic-Con Sunday 9:16 AM
- How a queer Instagram is helping fight the opioid epidemic in Appalachia Sunday 6:30 AM
- Philadelphia to fire 13 officers for racist, violent Facebook posts Saturday 6:12 PM
- Nick Offerman is so down to play every single role in ‘Cats’ Saturday 4:27 PM
- Woman documents how airport staff broke her wheelchair Saturday 3:04 PM
- Funeral home allegedly posted photos of woman’s dead body on social media Saturday 1:56 PM
- Alinity Divine is being investigated after throwing her cat during stream (updated) Saturday 12:04 PM
- ‘Comedians In Cars Getting Coffee’ returns with Seinfeld making a racist joke about China Saturday 10:26 AM
- YouTubers Eugenia Cooney and Shane Dawson make a joint comeback Saturday 9:06 AM
Justin Bieber’s rider for his Purpose tour in India was leaked on Thursday, and the list is… extensive.
Many artists have been known for wild backstage demands, such as Beyoncé and Kanye West. Queen Bey’s rider asks that her dressing rooms be kept at 72 degrees, and be provided with “heavily seasoned” chicken legs and rose-scented candles. Kanye West, meanwhile, asks for a barber’s chair and a Coke and Hennessy slushy machine.
Bieber is no exception. In the leaked press release, he demands 10 luxury sedans, two buses for his entourage, a Rolls Royce, a private jet and helicopter to fly into the stadium, his own washing machine, redesigned hotel suites to his liking, a “special Indian Yoga Casket,” a masseuse flown in from Kerala, India, “cans of wild berries and vanilla room fresheners,” Dove body wash and lip balm, and the list goes on for hundreds more words.
Justin Bieber’s India tour rider includes a “Indian Yoga casket”, a jacuzzi and a press release that lists all his demands out for you. pic.twitter.com/afwHpMJHJM— Arjun S Ravi (@arjun_s_ravi) May 3, 2017
Some of the requested items are beyond excessive. Could Bieber truly be this much of a diva, or is he merely keeping venues in check? Celebrities often use riders as a way of holding venues to an extremely high standard. If the venue cannot hold up its promise to meet demands, the artist has the right to back out at any time, often with a partial or even full payment.
Live shows tend to be more dangerous than audiences realize, so some entertainers opt to protect themselves with overly specific demands. Attention to detail will reflect the venue’s attention to greater security demands. Or, maybe, Bieber just really loves the scent of vanilla.
Anastassia Gliadkovskaya is a lifestyle and politics reporter. Her work has been published by Empire State Tribune and Urban Watch magazine.