- Camila María Concepcíon, trans activist and Netflix writer, dies at 28 Thursday 5:46 PM
- Chrissy Teigen calls out fan who made weird comment about her daughter’s feet Thursday 4:57 PM
- TikTok’s ‘clean queen’ says videos are helping her figure out ‘adulting’ Thursday 4:12 PM
- Clearview clients include ICE, Macy’s, Best Buy, leaked data reveals Thursday 4:08 PM
- Women are clamoring to get their photos on a Twitter feed of ‘hot mugshots’ Thursday 4:06 PM
- ‘Love Is Blind’ finale: Somehow, real love emerged from this dystopian setting Thursday 3:57 PM
- Creator of ‘Say So’ TikTok dance appears in Doja Cat music video Thursday 3:51 PM
- Is TikTok’s algorithm actually pretty racist? Thursday 3:45 PM
- Fans freaking out over ‘Say My Name’ horror remix featured in Jordan Peele’s ‘Candyman’ Thursday 3:33 PM
- CDC graphic warns most facial hair isn’t compatible with coronavirus protection measures Thursday 1:31 PM
- Tutoring website refuses to take down ad sexualizing Asian women Thursday 1:24 PM
- MSNBC pundit loses air time after saying Sanders staffers are ‘island of misfit Black girls’ Thursday 12:36 PM
- Court says YouTube isn’t subject to First Amendment scrutiny Thursday 11:06 AM
- Russian models are Instagramming life in Wuhan Thursday 11:00 AM
- Hilary Duff suggests ‘Lizzie McGuire’ revival was halted over adult storylines Thursday 10:37 AM
A Vice-produced Silk Road documentary is coming to the BBC
The film will be coproduced by Vice and Raw TV, precisely the two outfits one expects to present a story like this.
BBC just commissioned a documentary on the Deep Web black market Silk Road. According to Broadcastnow.co.uk, the film will be coproduced by Vice and Raw TV, precisely the two outfits one expects to present a story like this.
Director Emily James talks to Broadcast:
The technology that enabled The Silk Road and the ideologies that framed its development are absolutely fascinating material. … So when Ross Ulbricht, AKA The Dread Pirate Roberts, alleged ‘operator’ of The Silk Road site was arrested at the beginning of this month, I knew immediately that it would make a gripping film.
I’m very pleased that Raw, Vice and Storyville have had the acuity to recognise what a fantastic film this will be, and to back my vision for it.
This is only the latest media effort at capitalizing on Silk Road’s infamy. Last week, 20th Century Fox and Chernin Entertainment tapped Mystic River writer Dennis Lehane to pen a script for a Silk Road feature length film based on an unreleased piece of longform journalism by Joshua Davis for Wired.
Australian reporter Eileen Ormsby has been working on a book about the history of Silk Road. Surely, that won’t be the only printed effort to chronicle the history of the black market.
Photo Dominicspics/Flickr | Remix by Jason Reed
Patrick Howell O'Neill is a notable cybersecurity reporter whose work has focused on the dark net, national security, and law enforcement. A former senior writer at the Daily Dot, O'Neill joined CyberScoop in October 2016. I am a cybersecurity journalist at CyberScoop. I cover the security industry, national security and law enforcement.