- ‘Lil Billie Xanish’ is the deepfake mashup of Billie Eilish and Lil Xan Thursday 5:10 PM
- Gossip account the Shade Room to launch 3 original series on Instagram Thursday 4:46 PM
- Biden says he asked Obama not to endorse him—but people aren’t buying it Thursday 3:17 PM
- Marvel makes more money than Harry Potter and Star Wars combined Thursday 3:13 PM
- ‘Avengers: Endgame’: Obituaries for the fallen heroes Thursday 2:51 PM
- T-Mobile, Verizon admit most Americans won’t see fast 5G Thursday 1:52 PM
- PlayStation Vue is offering a sweet streaming deal for a limited time Thursday 1:42 PM
- Twitter reportedly worried banning white nationalists would also flag some Republicans Thursday 1:31 PM
- Lawyer of cop in viral assault case calls the crime a ‘Facebook misdemeanor’ Thursday 12:33 PM
- Biden’s ‘all men’-focused announcement gets roasted Thursday 11:49 AM
- Skillshare is offering new users one month of premium for free Thursday 10:44 AM
- Report: Facebook is punishing Black people for talking about racism (updated) Thursday 10:15 AM
- Biden brings tepid language to the healthcare debate Thursday 9:52 AM
- TikTok’s ‘chin on palm’ challenge has people scratching their heads Thursday 9:01 AM
- How to stream the 2019 NFL Draft for free Thursday 9:00 AM
A Vice-produced Silk Road documentary is coming to the BBC
The film will be coproduced by Vice and Raw TV, precisely the two outfits one expects to present a story like this.
BBC just commissioned a documentary on the Deep Web black market Silk Road. According to Broadcastnow.co.uk, the film will be coproduced by Vice and Raw TV, precisely the two outfits one expects to present a story like this.
Director Emily James talks to Broadcast:
The technology that enabled The Silk Road and the ideologies that framed its development are absolutely fascinating material. … So when Ross Ulbricht, AKA The Dread Pirate Roberts, alleged ‘operator’ of The Silk Road site was arrested at the beginning of this month, I knew immediately that it would make a gripping film.
I’m very pleased that Raw, Vice and Storyville have had the acuity to recognise what a fantastic film this will be, and to back my vision for it.
This is only the latest media effort at capitalizing on Silk Road’s infamy. Last week, 20th Century Fox and Chernin Entertainment tapped Mystic River writer Dennis Lehane to pen a script for a Silk Road feature length film based on an unreleased piece of longform journalism by Joshua Davis for Wired.
Australian reporter Eileen Ormsby has been working on a book about the history of Silk Road. Surely, that won’t be the only printed effort to chronicle the history of the black market.
Photo Dominicspics/Flickr | Remix by Jason Reed
Patrick Howell O'Neill is a notable cybersecurity reporter whose work has focused on the dark net, national security, and law enforcement. A former senior writer at the Daily Dot, O'Neill joined CyberScoop in October 2016. I am a cybersecurity journalist at CyberScoop. I cover the security industry, national security and law enforcement.