- Elizabeth Warren calls on Congress to impeach Trump 12 Months Ago
- BlackBerry Messenger is still a thing—but not for much longer 12 Months Ago
- Matt Gaetz hires speechwriter fired by White House for attending white nationalist event Today 1:33 PM
- Here’s why Elon Musk is a sheep on Twitter Today 12:14 PM
- Trump is already running Facebook ads on the Mueller report Today 12:07 PM
- 20 thoughtful gifts grads actually want Today 12:00 PM
- 7 of the best psychological thriller movies on Shudder Today 11:44 AM
- Seth Abramson’s epic Mueller thread finally comes to a conclusion Today 11:40 AM
- Netflix is testing out a random play feature Today 11:28 AM
- Teen star Danielle Cohn faked pregnancy for YouTube prank Today 10:55 AM
- How to watch ‘A Discovery of Witches’ for free Today 10:42 AM
- Rev up your own family rivalries with these ‘Game of Thrones’ board games Today 10:29 AM
- Mueller’s ‘harm to ongoing matter’ is the best way to stay silent about your life Today 10:21 AM
- 10 Korean skincare brands that are worth your money Today 10:00 AM
- 20 unique Mother’s Day gifts for the cool moms Today 9:45 AM
Shawn Tron/Flickr (CC-BY-SA)
Calvin Harris, Imagine Dragons, and others have posted tributes.
Musician and producer Tim Bergling, also known as Avicii, died on Friday at the age of 28.
According to a statement from his rep, Bergling was found dead in Muscat, Oman, on Friday afternoon. A cause of death has not yet been given.
The Swedish DJ and producer was one of the figureheads of contemporary EDM, crossing over with 2011 hit “Levels” and collaborating with David Guetta and Coldplay. The 2015 Mike Posner hit “I Took a Pill in Ibiza” references Bergling in the first line: “I took a pill in Ibiza/To show Avicii I was cool.”
In 2016, he announced he was retiring from performing live, citing that he was doing it for his health. He was hospitalized for acute pancreatitis in 2012 and his appendix and gallbladder were removed in 2014. “This was obviously the hardest decision of my life so far,” he told Billboard in 2016. “But so far it has paid off tremendously in terms of well-being for me.”
Last year he posted to his website, saying that while he wasn’t performing he was still in the studio: “The next stage will be all about my love of making music to you guys. It is the beginning of something new.”
His contemporaries have been offering condolences and tributes.
Devastating news about Avicii, a beautiful soul, passionate and extremely talented with so much more to do. My heart goes out to his family. God bless you Tim x
— Calvin Harris (@CalvinHarris) April 20, 2018
At a loss for words…Rest easy brother 😪 @Avicii
— marshmello (@marshmellomusic) April 20, 2018
devastated at the news of @Avicii passing. working with him was one of my favorite collaborative moments. far too young. the world was a happier and fuller place with his presence and art. sending all my love to his friends and family. Xxdr
— Imagine Dragons (@Imaginedragons) April 20, 2018
. @Avicii was talented and kind, and I was genuinely excited to see what would come next from him. His future most certainly should have been written beyond age 28. I am
Rest easy Tim.
— Kaskade (@kaskade) April 20, 2018
Audra Schroeder is the Daily Dot’s senior entertainment writer, and she focuses on streaming, comedy, and music. Her work has previously appeared in the Austin Chronicle, the Dallas Observer, NPR, ESPN, Bitch, and the Village Voice. She is based in Austin, Texas.