- ‘Atlantics’ tells a ghost story steeped with emotion and realism 5 Years Ago
- ‘Jojo Rabbit’ is a sweet, singular movie that loses its grip on satire 5 Years Ago
- Jordan Peterson is in rehab for Klonopin addiction 5 Years Ago
- The cat-worshipping turkey cult video, explained 5 Years Ago
- Despite legal threats and drama, the Area 51 desert event is on Today 3:05 PM
- How to stream Yair Rodriguez vs. Jeremy Stephens on UFC Fight Night Today 3:00 PM
- Twitter just launched its ‘Hide Replies’ feature Today 1:59 PM
- How to turn off image metadata before it snitches on you Today 1:36 PM
- The ‘Breaking Bad’ movie is coming to theaters—for one weekend only Today 1:04 PM
- Teens recorded, shared videos of mall fight that ended in fatal stabbing Today 12:44 PM
- How to stream Giants vs. Buccaneers in Week 3 Today 12:31 PM
- Report: Ben Carson made transphobic comments at HUD meeting Today 12:30 PM
- Where to buy the Switch Lite and everything else you need to know Today 12:28 PM
- Facebook is experimenting with apps targeting teens Today 12:21 PM
- #LiveFromTheArea51Raid: Memes and highlights from the desert Today 12:06 PM
Is Slender Man making an appearance in ‘American Horror Story: Freak Show’?
The fourth incarnation of the serieswill be set in Jupiter, Fla., in 1952.
The brisk chill of fall and the aroma of pumpkin spice lattes can only mean one thing: October is near. With that ghoulish month inching closer, so does the premiere of the latest incarnation of Ryan Murphy’s American Horror Story franchise. American Horror Story: Freak Show, set to debut on FX Oct. 8, has been teasing fans on social media for weeks with brief but terrifying trailers showcasing the show’s collection of freaks.
On Monday, the show posted one of its teaser trailers depicting a young girl holding the hand of a tall suited man whose upper body is cut out of frame. The video was posted to Facebook and Twitter captioned with “We come in all shapes and guises … #WirSindAlleFreaks,” and commenters were quick to draw comparisons to a popular photo of Slender Man, the Internet horror legend who was spawned thanks to Creepypasta.com
It’s unclear if the fourth incarnation of the series, which will be set in Jupiter, Fla., in 1952, will feature a character similar to Slender Man.
The clip certainly piqued the interest of many fans, causing them to wonder if the Internet legend and the real-life violent attacks he has inspired will influence this season of the show. For other viewers, they saw the footage as a tasteless ploy to capitalize on the fear and press that the Slender Man attacks have generated.
Photo via zlakfoto/Flickr (CC BY-SA 2.0)
Greg Seals is a former social media producer and contributing writer for the Daily Dot. He specializes in creating and covering viral content on platforms that include Tumblr, Instagram, Snapchat, and Twitter.