- 7 fortune-telling sites for when you’re bored 6 Years Ago
- Governor bans sex puns on free condom wrappers 6 Years Ago
- Is Justin Bieber’s ‘Yummy’ video secretly about Pizzagate? Today 1:01 PM
- Woah Vicky rips out her hair in botched cultural appropriation attempt Today 12:30 PM
- Here’s an exclusive look at ‘Weathering With You’ Today 11:57 AM
- TikTok dudes are dipping their balls in soy sauce for ‘science’ Today 11:49 AM
- Pete Buttigieg’s denial of fixing bread prices becomes its own meme Today 11:10 AM
- Houston Astros get torched with buzzer memes after new revelation Today 10:41 AM
- Teens are eating cereal out of each other’s mouths for clout Today 10:34 AM
- Did Martha McSally plan her ‘liberal hack’ viral moment? Today 10:32 AM
- Trump adds Jeffrey Epstein’s old attorney to impeachment team Today 10:03 AM
- YouTube star Cameron Dallas gets scathing reviews for his Broadway debut Today 9:58 AM
- How to watch ‘Curb Your Enthusiasm’ season 10 Today 9:55 AM
- George Lucas met Baby Yoda, and we can’t handle it Today 8:45 AM
- Apple TV+’s ‘Little America’ shines a light on immigrant stories Today 8:00 AM
Teen stabs mother in copycat ‘Slender Man’ attack
A 13-year-old girl allegedly stabbed her mother while wearing a white mask after reading about the recent Slender Man attacks.
Just days after two girls attempted murder as a sacrifice to ‘Slender Man,’ an Internet-created horror meme they thought was real, another girl with the same obsession has allegedly stabbed her own mother.
The anonymous woman told WLWT news in Cincinatti Friday that her 13-year-old daughter dressed in a white mask, waited until she came home, and stabbed her after reading about the recent Slender Man attacks.
“She was someone else during that attack,” said the mother.
The mother claims that she returned home from work one evening to find her daughter waiting for her in the kitchen, holding a knife and speaking to her about the role she needed to play. Then she attacked, stabbing her mother multiple times.
The teenager suffered from mental health issues and had a history of troubling writing that referenced demons, killing, and “falling into darkness.” Her mother said that she had nurtured a particular obsession with the Slender Man mythos, writing about him and creating an entire world dedicated to him in Minecraft.
The woman believed that her daughter was encouraged to commit the attack after learning about last week’s attack by two Wisconsin children on a third girl, which they believed would cause Slender Man to spare their families and take them to his mansion.
“We do have to police what they do and what they read,” the mother said.
The mother was treated for minor injuries to her face, neck, and back. Her daughter remains in custody at a juvenile detention center, and will be tried as a juvenile.
The mother says the girl claims to have no memory of what happened in the attack.
Photo via Know Your Meme
Aja Romano is a geek culture reporter and fandom expert. Their reporting at the Daily Dot covered everything from Harry Potter and anime to Tumblr and Gamergate. Romano joined Vox as a staff reporter in 2016.