- Bug lets Twitter save your DMs—even after you delete them Friday 7:21 PM
- Guy mansplains song to Japanese Breakfast, the female artist who wrote the song Friday 6:38 PM
- Ann Coulter’s Twitter bio links to a vulgar parody account Friday 5:22 PM
- Popular YouTube music channel gets income yanked for ‘repetitious’ content Friday 4:14 PM
- New website will endlessly generate fake faces thanks to AI Friday 3:41 PM
- Man fakes getting stood up at Outback Steakhouse Friday 3:03 PM
- FCC looks to tackle robocalls and spoofed texts Friday 2:57 PM
- How to protect yourself from the data breach that affected 744 million accounts Friday 12:56 PM
- How to stream Rob Brant vs. Khasan Baysangurov online for free Friday 12:21 PM
- No, Ocasio-Cortez doesn’t have her boyfriend on her payroll Friday 12:20 PM
- Writers want this book canceled for misgendering its protagonist Friday 12:15 PM
- Trump Jr’s meme about his dad’s border wall doesn’t get how Congress works Friday 11:44 AM
- FBI reportedly looking into Ryan Adams’ communications with underage girl Friday 11:25 AM
- Trump does Chinese accent, declares national emergency, bewilders the internet Friday 11:21 AM
- Chrissy Teigen throws shade at Logan Paul-Kaitlin Bennett pairing Friday 10:48 AM
A 13-year-old girl allegedly stabbed her mother while wearing a white mask after reading about the recent Slender Man attacks.
Just days after two girls attempted murder as a sacrifice to ‘Slender Man,’ an Internet-created horror meme they thought was real, another girl with the same obsession has allegedly stabbed her own mother.
The anonymous woman told WLWT news in Cincinatti Friday that her 13-year-old daughter dressed in a white mask, waited until she came home, and stabbed her after reading about the recent Slender Man attacks.
“She was someone else during that attack,” said the mother.
The mother claims that she returned home from work one evening to find her daughter waiting for her in the kitchen, holding a knife and speaking to her about the role she needed to play. Then she attacked, stabbing her mother multiple times.
The teenager suffered from mental health issues and had a history of troubling writing that referenced demons, killing, and “falling into darkness.” Her mother said that she had nurtured a particular obsession with the Slender Man mythos, writing about him and creating an entire world dedicated to him in Minecraft.
The woman believed that her daughter was encouraged to commit the attack after learning about last week’s attack by two Wisconsin children on a third girl, which they believed would cause Slender Man to spare their families and take them to his mansion.
“We do have to police what they do and what they read,” the mother said.
The mother was treated for minor injuries to her face, neck, and back. Her daughter remains in custody at a juvenile detention center, and will be tried as a juvenile.
The mother says the girl claims to have no memory of what happened in the attack.
Photo via Know Your Meme
Aja Romano is a geek culture reporter and fandom expert. Their reporting at the Daily Dot covered everything from Harry Potter and anime to Tumblr and Gamergate. Romano joined Vox as a staff reporter in 2016.