- This woman told two students to ‘speak English’ and people are not having it Friday 9:53 PM
- Iconic 1968 drag documentary ‘The Queen’ finally released on Netflix Friday 9:29 PM
- This TikTok account for Chancellor Palpatine is hilarious Friday 8:43 PM
- Did the Space Force logo rip off Star Trek? Friday 6:24 PM
- Disabled people with service dogs say Uber, Lyft drivers are denying them rides Friday 3:25 PM
- TikTok teen famous for greasy hair ends her 8-year reign Friday 2:48 PM
- Police handcuff brown man at subway station for carrying a toy gun Friday 1:20 PM
- Fake clip of Sanders quoting infamous ‘hot chip’ tweet is duping people online Friday 1:16 PM
- The Mars Volta’s Cedric Bixler-Zavala alleges Scientologists behind dog’s death Friday 12:46 PM
- Eminem responds to critics: ‘This album was not made for the squeamish’ Friday 12:42 PM
- ‘The poet, the poem’ meme takes iconic lines and turns them into art Friday 12:40 PM
- People are making dark memes about the coronavirus Friday 12:27 PM
- Trump camp’s ‘head on a pike’ impeachment threat hit with memes Friday 11:34 AM
- What is the #FreeBritney movement, and why is Cher tweeting about it? Friday 10:52 AM
- This YouTuber claims the Saudi government plotted to kidnap him on U.S. soil Friday 10:30 AM
Twitch star Alinity Divine, who came under controversy last weekend when she streamed her dog sniffing her butt, has not been punished by the platform for any kind of inappropriate content. But an artist who depicted the incident has been banned for seven days for reimagining it in a drawing.
Jon Grim, who describes himself as a professional oil painter and who has about 15,000 Twitch followers, revealed that the platform had punished him for a week for his Alinity-inspired artwork.
“I got banned for drawing @AlinityTwitch the lover of dogs and thrower of cats a silly picture. I totally deserve the ban and I’m even glad twitch took action, just wish @Twitch held everyone to the same rules,” he wrote on Twitter.
hey guys I wont be streaming the next 7 days. I got banned for drawing @AlinityTwitch the lover of dogs and thrower of cats a silly picture. I totally deserve the ban and I'm even glad twitch took action, just wish @Twitch held everyone to the same rules. #stream pic.twitter.com/SnxllTxsba— JON GRIM (@JONGRIM219) December 4, 2019
He continued, “Apparently, I got nailed for bullying but ya know, calling a shitty person out on shitty behavior with a pretty goofy silly cartoon compared to the real thing is worth it if you ask me. if twitch won’t call them out then I guess we aren’t allowed to either.”
Many in the community are outraged that Twitch didn’t have anything to say about Alinity’s stream—to be fair, many in the community are always outraged when Alinity doesn’t face punishment for any controversial moment, minor or otherwise, on her channel. That included Alinity throwing her cat over her shoulder during a stream in July and once spitting vodka in her pet’s mouth.
Grim said he knew the risk he was taking when he envisioned the incident.
He wrote, “The drawing was fun either way.”
The controversy began last weekend when Alinity attempted to complete a headstand while streaming to her nearly 1 million followers. While basically in a downward dog yoga pose, her pet, Luna, approached her from behind and put her snout between Alinity’s legs. At one point, when Alinity realized what was happening, she tried to push Luna away before she gave up the headstand attempt and began laughing at the absurd scenario.
We need to have a serious discussion right now pic.twitter.com/shBnwHzQbq— Alinity (@AlinityTwitch) December 2, 2019
“People are really mad about this,” Alinity said in the aftermath. “People think I should be banned for that. I think it’s so ridiculous. Y’all have gone way too far.”
She also said, “You all can report me or whatever for my doggie coming and sniffing my butt while I’m on my period. I didn’t even feel her, man. That pad was so big. It’s kind of ridiculous. I honestly can’t believe it. I didn’t think I could be surprised but I guess anything is possible with the internet and the things that will make people mad.”
Alinity, though, has continued to talk and joke about the incident in the days since.
She posted a HuffPost article from 2018 about why “Dogs Sniff Your Crotch When You’re On Your Period” and wrote, “I stream 6 days a week and get 12 periods a year. That’s at least 48 broadcasted period days! So there are literally people combing through thousands of hours of streams.”
https://t.co/dIcz23aeu0— Alinity (@AlinityTwitch) December 5, 2019
I stream 6 days a week and get 12 periods a year. That's at least 48 broadcasted period days! So there are literally people combing through thousands of hours of streams. Lmao my Christmas tree from last year is in one 😁😎
She also posted an adorable photo of Luna and wrote, “IM LUNA AND IM HERE TO SNIFF.”
IM LUNA AND IM HERE TO SNIFF pic.twitter.com/jrAJ2Fc2ZN— Alinity (@AlinityTwitch) December 5, 2019
It remains unclear why exactly Grim, or any man on Twitch, is angry about the recent dog-sniffing incident.
Josh Katzowitz is a staff writer at the Daily Dot specializing in YouTube and boxing. His work has appeared in the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, Washington Post, and Los Angeles Times. A longtime sports writer, he's covered the NFL for CBSSports.com and boxing for Forbes. His work has been noted twice in the Best American Sports Writing book series.