- This woman said Hillary Clinton losing the 2016 election gave her PTSD, and people are furious Monday 6:45 PM
- Vanessa Bryant files a lawsuit against helicopter company after deaths of Kobe and Gianna Monday 5:49 PM
- Michael Jordan cries at Kobe Bryant memorial, jokes about creating a new meme Monday 4:43 PM
- Woman’s boyfriend says it’s him or the frogs—Reddit says choose the frogs Monday 4:22 PM
- Greyhound buses will no longer allow Border Patrol checks Monday 4:04 PM
- ‘Eat Them To Defeat Them’ is oddly about vegetables—not about eating the rich Monday 3:26 PM
- Marco Rubio mocked for filming talking while driving socialism critique Monday 2:54 PM
- QAnon believer asks Trump’s campaign press secretary who Q is Monday 2:36 PM
- Octavia Spencer has discovered ‘Ma’ memes—and she can’t get enough Monday 2:09 PM
- Meet the anti-Greta Thunberg, a climate ‘skeptic’ funded by the oil industry Monday 1:12 PM
- Harvey Weinstein convicted of rape and sexual assault Monday 12:56 PM
- Senator calls Facebook’s current election disinformation efforts ‘inadequate’ in letter Monday 12:11 PM
- The Phillie Phanatic mascot unveils a slimmer makeover Monday 11:56 AM
- YouTuber threatened with arrest after rapping about being a girl from Mecca Monday 11:55 AM
- Video shows flat-Earther ‘daredevil’ crashing to death after homemade rocket fails Monday 11:49 AM
Camila Cabello and Shawn Mendes continue to prove they are the weirdest new celebrity couple.
In a video posted to Instagram, the pop stars attempted to address the jokes about how they “kiss like fish” by showing viewers how they really get down.
“So we saw like on Twitter and stuff, you guys saying about the way we were kissing and how it looks weird. Like we kiss like fish,” Mendes said in the video.
“Yeah, it really hurt our feelings,” Cabello added.
“We just want to show you how we really kiss,” Mendes said, before him and Cabello shared what can only be described as two carp fishes kissing.
Needless to say, their kiss didn’t get half the reactions that Timothée Chalamet and Lily-Rose Depp’s kiss did.
In fact, people seemed horrified.
“I was JUST about to fall asleep and then I see a video of shawn mendes and camila cabello kissing like they are human window washers,” said YouTuber Ryan Abe.
I was JUST about to fall asleep and then I see a video of shawn mendes and camila cabello kissing like they are human window washers— RyansAverageLife (@RyanAbe) September 12, 2019
The other reactions ranged from disgust to confusion.
everyone after seeing that shawn and camila video pic.twitter.com/38FAVkJ26b— alexis kimberly (@notsixela) September 12, 2019
i just woke up and that shawn and camila video is the first thing i saw can someone please pour bleach in my eyes— ellie ☻ ⁷ (@eleanorbate) September 12, 2019
I just saw that video of Shawn Mendes and Camilla kissing on Instagram why would you do that pic.twitter.com/LkhPA17bFd— B✨ (@_venicebxtch26) September 12, 2019
trying to go through my tl without seeing Shawn and Camilla’s gross ass kissing pic.twitter.com/XF73yWYQKx— jacky ♡ yuto | #PRISMinLA TODAY (@drinksuju) September 12, 2019
I honestly can’t decide which one was more disgusting Shawn and Camilla’s kissing video or James Charles nude pic.twitter.com/IpKrjchdrI— sanjida (@mashallahbts) September 12, 2019
cultural impact:— ✨ Lana's Baby ✨ (@QUEENCHUNGHAAAA) September 12, 2019
yoongi eating an shawn & camila
invisible burger kissing like fish
The couple has been making news lately after rumors began to swirl that their entire relationship was simply a PR stunt to promote their own careers.
However, Cabello brushed off her critics in a recent interview with Elle. She told the publication, “people can say whatever they want to say” about her relationship with the Canadian pop sensation.
“They can speculate, but at the same time, we are going to live our own lives, enjoy it and fall for each other like nobody is watching,” she said. “That is how I want to live. I never want to open the door for people to feel like they are involved. Like I said, I want it to be mine and [his]. That’s why I’m so tight-lipped about it because I want to protect it.”
But with that being said, while the two have been captured rendezvousing all over the country–just like this new kissing video and just like Cabello’s revealing Elle interview–none of it has been enough to convince fans that they are the real deal.
shawn and camilla’s pr teams realizing that the weird fish kissing video they posted on ig was actually gross and completely backfired pic.twitter.com/wA0z4xk9hr— cass (@casstellations) September 12, 2019
Shawn and Camilla’s PR relationship seems to be in good health. Nice job guys ! pic.twitter.com/W8mcdsdLju— ☆* Akira *☆ (@ashyelboes) September 12, 2019
shawn and camilla are really taking this pr contract seriously huh— paki blinder (@kixsesA) September 12, 2019
I AM SO DONE WITH THIS CAMILLA AND SHAWN PR MOVE RELATIONSHIP, PURE CRINGE I TELL U— ly (@elyjahkeri) September 12, 2019
Though despite the rumors, the two still managed to top the charts with their new hit single “Señorita”. And though this video might have failed to convince people they were really a couple, the “Señorita” music video has hit nearly a half a billion views on YouTube, meaning someone is doing something right.
Best PR relationship ever, maybe?
Dominic-Madori Davis is a recent graduate of the University of Southern California. She covers the internet, politics, and social issues.