- Facebook refused to take down this blackface page for four months 5 Years Ago
- Tom Holland rescues fan getting squashed by autograph hounds Tuesday 7:14 PM
- What is incel ‘Chadfishing’? Tuesday 6:36 PM
- Facebook to give France data on users suspected of hate speech Tuesday 5:29 PM
- This 89-year-old man is stunned by all the technology around him—in 1930 Tuesday 5:21 PM
- Wayfair refuses to stop furnishing migrant detention centers Tuesday 4:48 PM
- Woah! How did Keanu Reeves get so small? Tuesday 4:37 PM
- The centrist argument against Sanders’ student loan plan is getting ripped apart Tuesday 4:08 PM
- Jonathan Frakes confirms that you’re right in yet another meme Tuesday 3:56 PM
- Meryl Streep, Ariana Grande set to star in Netflix’s ‘The Prom’ Tuesday 3:35 PM
- ‘Stranger Things’ Season 3 goodies are here just in time Tuesday 3:01 PM
- Kim Kardashian’s shapewear line Kimono is already getting called out Tuesday 2:11 PM
- ‘Aggretsuko’ tones down the rage in season 2 Tuesday 1:13 PM
- TikTok is being used to call out predators Tuesday 12:41 PM
- Republican congressman wants to defund PBS over the gay rat wedding Tuesday 12:39 PM
I am Groot.
In case you haven’t yet seen Guardians of the Galaxy, there’s only one thing about it you need to know to understand the new fanfiction going viral on AO3 and Tumblr, and that’s “I am Groot“—the only three words the movie’s lovable talking tree character can say.
Tumblr user marvelcolm has penned a cheeky 1,300-word masterpiece told from “Groot’s POV” on the Archive of Our Own. Oh, and it’s “extremely NSFW.”
“Had to take a break halfway through writing this fic,” marvelcolm noted, “because the raw emotion overpowered me.”
It’s easy to see why. Groot’s eloquence and mastery of the nuance of human expression has never been more powerful:
Thanks to the author’s promotion of the fic on Tumblr, it’s naturally gone viral.
Screengrab via itriedthatonceitwasabadmove
The Tumblr post currently has nearly 50,000 notes. And since it was posted last Monday on AO3, the fic—which of course is titled “I Am Groot”—has gone viral there as well. It’s currently the seventh most popular fic on the entire site.
GIF via sidewindervx/Tumblr
Clearly, we should have seen this coming. The only thing fandom likes more than memes are meta-parodies in the form of fanfic. Marvelcolm seems to be embracing the hit. Writing on Tumblr yesterday in response to a new fan, marvelcolm got in touch with Groot-related emotions:
I poured my heart into that fanfic likes my heart was Mountain Dew and my keyboard was the mug of deep conscious thought you feel me? So much meaning in that fix they call it a dictionary. Emotions so raw they put it in the oven. So heartwarming it comes with a cooler.
Marvelcolm also spoke of the difference, pre- and post-Groot:
I used to have pretty bad confidence but recently I’ve been feeling like the world is my ice-cream and I am the chocolate syrup on top that just makes everything better like god damn I love me.
In other words: I am Groot.
Screengrab via mquinn88/Tumblr
Aja Romano is a geek culture reporter and fandom expert. Their reporting at the Daily Dot covered everything from Harry Potter and anime to Tumblr and Gamergate. Romano joined Vox as a staff reporter in 2016.