- ‘Eat Them To Defeat Them’ is oddly about vegetables—not about eating the rich 6 Years Ago
- Marco Rubio mocked for filming talking while driving socialism critique Today 2:54 PM
- QAnon believer asks Trump’s campaign press secretary who Q is Today 2:36 PM
- Octavia Spencer has discovered ‘Ma’ memes—and she can’t get enough Today 2:09 PM
- Meet the anti-Greta Thunberg, a climate ‘skeptic’ funded by the oil industry Today 1:12 PM
- Harvey Weinstein convicted of rape and sexual assault Today 12:56 PM
- Senator calls Facebook’s current election disinformation efforts ‘inadequate’ in letter Today 12:11 PM
- The Phillie Phanatic mascot unveils a slimmer makeover Today 11:56 AM
- YouTuber threatened with arrest after rapping about being a girl from Mecca Today 11:55 AM
- Video shows flat-Earther ‘daredevil’ crashing to death after homemade rocket fails Today 11:49 AM
- Cardi B defends Dwyane Wade’s daughter during Instagram Live Today 11:45 AM
- YouTube briefly shuts down beloved ‘lofi hip hop radio’ channel, launching a new meme Today 11:42 AM
- Neil deGrasse Tyson points out that Elsa from ‘Frozen’ has ‘horse-sized eyeballs’ Today 10:58 AM
- Republicans as Sanders rises: Watch out, we may vote for Trump Today 10:54 AM
- Amazon series ‘Hunters’ criticized by Auschwitz Memorial over fictionalized scene Today 10:45 AM
Here’s ‘Guardians of the Galaxy’ fanfic, as told by Groot
I am Groot.
In case you haven’t yet seen Guardians of the Galaxy, there’s only one thing about it you need to know to understand the new fanfiction going viral on AO3 and Tumblr, and that’s “I am Groot“—the only three words the movie’s lovable talking tree character can say.
Tumblr user marvelcolm has penned a cheeky 1,300-word masterpiece told from “Groot’s POV” on the Archive of Our Own. Oh, and it’s “extremely NSFW.”
“Had to take a break halfway through writing this fic,” marvelcolm noted, “because the raw emotion overpowered me.”
It’s easy to see why. Groot’s eloquence and mastery of the nuance of human expression has never been more powerful:
Thanks to the author’s promotion of the fic on Tumblr, it’s naturally gone viral.
Screengrab via itriedthatonceitwasabadmove
The Tumblr post currently has nearly 50,000 notes. And since it was posted last Monday on AO3, the fic—which of course is titled “I Am Groot”—has gone viral there as well. It’s currently the seventh most popular fic on the entire site.
GIF via sidewindervx/Tumblr
Clearly, we should have seen this coming. The only thing fandom likes more than memes are meta-parodies in the form of fanfic. Marvelcolm seems to be embracing the hit. Writing on Tumblr yesterday in response to a new fan, marvelcolm got in touch with Groot-related emotions:
I poured my heart into that fanfic likes my heart was Mountain Dew and my keyboard was the mug of deep conscious thought you feel me? So much meaning in that fix they call it a dictionary. Emotions so raw they put it in the oven. So heartwarming it comes with a cooler.
Marvelcolm also spoke of the difference, pre- and post-Groot:
I used to have pretty bad confidence but recently I’ve been feeling like the world is my ice-cream and I am the chocolate syrup on top that just makes everything better like god damn I love me.
In other words: I am Groot.
Screengrab via mquinn88/Tumblr
Aja Romano is a geek culture reporter and fandom expert. Their reporting at the Daily Dot covered everything from Harry Potter and anime to Tumblr and Gamergate. Romano joined Vox as a staff reporter in 2016.