- ‘Ghosts of Sugar Land’ explores what happens if your friend joins ISIS 2 Years Ago
- Andrew Yang upset porn fans with his criticism of Bing Tuesday 10:34 PM
- Kamala Harris really wants Trump kicked off Twitter Tuesday 10:22 PM
- Bernie Sanders jokes he didn’t use medical marijuana before tonight’s debate Tuesday 9:47 PM
- Tulsi Gabbard says she’s not a Russian asset—which is just what a Russian asset would say Tuesday 9:20 PM
- Warren says she doesn’t have a ‘beef with billionaires’ Tuesday 8:59 PM
- Andrew Yang’s Universal Basic Income plan gets support from other candidates Tuesday 8:40 PM
- Christmas creep is real, and it’s all over Tom Steyer’s neck Tuesday 8:05 PM
- Stans are using pictures of Beyoncé to catfish sugar daddies Tuesday 7:18 PM
- Wait, who the heck is Tom Steyer? Tuesday 7:17 PM
- Teacher caught on video in racist rant put on leave without pay Tuesday 5:44 PM
- Pornhub pulls Girls Do Porn videos amid sex trafficking charges Tuesday 4:49 PM
- Gina Rodriguez sings N-word on Instagram story Tuesday 4:41 PM
- Trump Jr. mocked for Hunter Biden tweet about profiting from dad’s name Tuesday 3:58 PM
- All the holiday movies and shows coming to Netflix in 2019 Tuesday 3:48 PM
Colin Trevorrow is out as the director of ‘Star Wars’ Episode IX
Another one bites the dust.
Lucasfilm has parted ways with director Colin Trevorrow, who was slated to helm Star Wars Episode IX. The studio made the announcement Tuesday afternoon in a brief statement posted to its Star Wars website.
“Lucasfilm and Colin Trevorrow have mutually chosen to part ways on Star Wars: Episode IX. Colin has been a wonderful collaborator throughout the development process but we have all come to the conclusion that our visions for the project differ. We wish Colin the best and will be sharing more information about the film soon.”
Lucasfilm has not yet announced a replacement for the film, which is scheduled to debut on May 24, 2019. The news comes just months after the studio split with directors Phil Lord and Chris Miller (The Lego Movie) on the Han Solo standalone film, replacing them with director Ron Howard (Apollo 13, A Beautiful Mind). Howard is now reportedly in extensive reshoots for the movie.
Trevorrow became a name in Hollywood in 2012 after directing Safety Not Guaranteed, for which he was nominated for an Independent Spirit Award for best feature film. He then made the significant leap to direct blockbuster Jurassic World and was soon after asked to direct Episode IX. While the details of Trevorrow’s exit remain unclear, fans don’t seem worried. If anything, some took the departure as reason to celebrate.
DUDE Colin Trevorrow finally got removed as the director of Episode XI! Now they can bring in like, some actual talent!!— Josh Heath (@JoshAndHisJokes) September 5, 2017
Colin Trevorrow leaving Episode XI is the best recent movie news. I hate Jurassic World & Safety Not Guaranteed is super irritating Hooray!!— Mark Fulton (@Markdful) September 5, 2017
While Episode XI is certainly among the most prestigious films now up for grabs in Hollywood, pleasing fans and the Star Wars Story Group will be no small feat for whoever takes the reins.
Sarah Weber is the former editor of Daily Dot’s Parsec section, where she wrote about geek culture. She previously worked as a reporter and editor at community newspapers in the Midwest and was recognized by the Ohio Associated Press for news reporting.