- ‘Aggretsuko’ tones down the rage in season 2 11 Months Ago
- TikTok is being used to call out predators 11 Months Ago
- Republican congressman wants to defund PBS over the gay rat wedding 11 Months Ago
- Elizabeth Warren calls for sweeping overhaul of U.S. elections Today 11:47 AM
- In ‘Wild Rose,’ a star is born Today 11:39 AM
- The Sinking City realizes Lovecraftian horror in a new light Today 11:16 AM
- The ‘Avengers: Endgame’ re-release sounds pretty underwhelming Today 11:10 AM
- Google employees won’t be allowed to speak out against YouTube during Pride Today 10:43 AM
- YouTuber Etika found dead, NYPD confirms Today 10:39 AM
- Andrew Yang is holding a universal basic income giveaway Today 10:38 AM
- League of Legends streamer busted live by girlfriend after she finds his Tinder Today 10:19 AM
- Samuel L. Jackson roasts ‘Spider-Man’ marketing gaffe Today 8:49 AM
- Trump cites long-dead ayatollah while announcing Iran sanction Today 8:46 AM
- Why a far-right conspiracy about Ilhan Omar is in the news again Today 7:46 AM
- Razer publicly shames female influencer who tweeted about being sexually harassed Today 7:45 AM
Donald Trump Jr. wants you to know that his dad is still the president
Donald Trump Jr. took to Instagram on Thursday with a meme to remind everyone that even though he’s at the center of an investigation into collusion with Russia, his dad is still the president.
“In case you needed an eye checkup #maga #hesyourpresident,” says the caption of the post, which shows a vision diagnostic chart reading, “He’s still your president lololol.” Since going up, the post has received over 44,000 likes.
A post shared by Donald Trump Jr. (@donaldjtrumpjr) on
The post flips the leftist “Nothing but respect for MY president” meme wherein someone claims anything or anyone besides President Donald Trump is their president. After one Twitter user went viral with a photo of herself cleaning Donald Trump’s star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame using the phrase, others used it for their own sarcasm. The social media movement #NotMyPresident serves as a hub for activism and mobility against Trump and his administration.
It’s certainly not the first time Trump Jr. has drawn attention to himself on Instagram. On Thursday, he published a photo that compared Trump and former President Barack Obama “by the numbers.” The photo included approval ratings, unemployment rates, and the number of jobs added for each administration. Trump’s approval rating sits at 50 percent while Obama’s is only 45 percent. Users on Twitter were quick to call out the photo, alleging that it was altered in Trump’s favor.
A photoshopped image Donald Trump Jr. pushed on Instagram of his father's approval rating being 50% in a CNN graphic (it actually showed 40%) is also being shared on Facebook and Twitter. pic.twitter.com/ZKiP93kjdW
— Alex Kaplan (@AlKapDC) August 9, 2018
Ok – like I know DJT Jr is not the sharpest tool in the shed. But this one even has me baffled. He posted a poorly photoshopped approval rating onto his Instagram. How can this family ever ever scream fake news when they post crap like this? #fakenews #DonaldTrumpJr #trump pic.twitter.com/PjfnwwY0JY
— Shnyda (@ShnydaOne) August 9, 2018
The posts come amid special counsel Robert Mueller’s investigation, which is looking into allegations of collusion and Russian interference during the 2016 election. Trump Jr. could be accused of conspiracy for organizing a meeting at Trump Tower in June 2016 between Trump’s campaign advisers and Russians.
Onaje McDowelle is an editorial intern for the Daily Dot. He is studying journalism and African and African Diaspora Studies at the University of Texas at Austin. His work has appeared in Austin Monthly magazine, GoodMusicAllDay, and Orange magazine.