- #ICEBae is reportedly a Democrat–and she has some things to get off her chest Tuesday 8:45 PM
- Fans are stoked that Taika Waititi is back to direct ‘Thor 4’ Tuesday 7:22 PM
- Sacha Baron Cohen thanks ‘co-stars’ Dick Cheney, Sarah Palin for making Emmy nominations possible Tuesday 6:43 PM
- Roger Stone barred from posting on all social media platforms Tuesday 6:03 PM
- The FaceApp challenge shows you how gracefully you’ll age Tuesday 5:16 PM
- Kylie Jenner opens up about her mental health in candid Instagram post Tuesday 4:38 PM
- Fans speculate wildly about Naomi Watts’ ‘Game of Thrones’ prequel role after leaked set photo Tuesday 3:54 PM
- New Jersey congressman joins House Democrats ‘Squad’ because of an Onion article Tuesday 3:09 PM
- Twitter begins rolling out new desktop redesign, and users aren’t happy Tuesday 1:54 PM
- Man asks his girlfriend to ‘unlove’ her ex—and people do not agree with him Tuesday 1:37 PM
- Relive a forgotten gem with the TurboGrafx-16 Mini console Tuesday 1:09 PM
- Judge says Daily Stormer founder must pay $14 million for harassing Jewish realtor Tuesday 1:01 PM
- Graphic depiction of suicide cut from Netflix’s ’13 Reasons Why’ Tuesday 12:55 PM
- Streaming titles seize 2019 Emmy nominations Tuesday 12:19 PM
- ‘Frankenstein’s Monster’s Monster, Frankenstein’ tries to find humor in bad actors Tuesday 12:02 PM
NRA maligns student organizers ahead of March for Our Lives
NRA TV posted multiple videos to social media ahead of the #MarchforOurLives protest on Saturday in Washington, D.C. Organizers of the march—many of whom are student survivors of the school shooting in Parkland, Florida—are demanding increased gun control in the forms of higher age restrictions for buying firearms, tighter background checks, and a ban on assault weapons.
“If you’re too immature to carry a firearm, you’re too immature to make policy about firearms,” said NRA spokeswoman Dana Loesch in a video posted to Twitter on Thursday.
In another video posted Thursday, former Secret Service agent Dan Bongino criticized pro-gun-control organizations like Planned Parenthood that are supporting the march.
"Make no mistake about it, these groups, @PPFA and these far-left groups that are providing some kind of support here, their sole purpose is to take away your right to protect yourself and defend yourself."— NRATV (@NRATV) March 22, 2018
—@dbongino #ThursdayThoughts pic.twitter.com/2DukVu1LUG
A third video pointed to the privileged position of Parkland survivors and said gun control would disproportionately affect Black communities.
In other videos, NRA TV spokespeople slammed “liberal” media coverage of other recent school shootings, claiming they went uncovered despite reports from major news outlets.
NRA TV’s social media campaign ahead of Saturday’s march seems to be an attempt to vilify the student survivors of the school shooting that left 17 people dead at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School last month. But the survivors—who have become the voice and the heart of the gun control movement—seem to just be getting started.
H/T Vice News
Kris Seavers is the Evening Editor for the Daily Dot, where she covers breaking news, politics, and LGBTQ issues. Her work has appeared in Central Texas publications, including Austin Monthly and San Antonio Magazine, and on NPR.