- Jameela Jamil dragged for comparing reproductive rights to landlord rights Tuesday 6:54 PM
- Trump campaign posts Thanos meme, totally misses point of ‘Endgame’ Tuesday 5:58 PM
- Petition calls for Apple to make a Baby Yoda emoji Tuesday 5:16 PM
- This BTS-Billie Eilish mashup is the most popular tweet of 2019 Tuesday 4:51 PM
- Michelle Wolf embraces vulgarity in ‘Joke Show’ Tuesday 4:24 PM
- Influencer gets 14 years in prison for trying to steal domain name at gunpoint Tuesday 4:14 PM
- ‘Three Days of Christmas’ is a delightfully dark holiday alternative to Hallmark Tuesday 3:55 PM
- The way Trump Jr. holds his own book inspires mockery Tuesday 3:47 PM
- Woman facing backlash for no longer wearing hijab in end of the decade photo Tuesday 3:16 PM
- Report: Consulting firm lied about decreasing violence at Rikers Island jail Tuesday 2:36 PM
- TikTok users are sharing things they thought were ‘ghetto’ as kids Tuesday 2:31 PM
- Republicans just blocked a net neutrality vote in the Senate Tuesday 2:24 PM
- ‘Fox & Friends’ host stuck using dad’s account after Twitter suspension Tuesday 1:10 PM
- ‘They’ is Merriam-Webster’s word of the year Tuesday 12:56 PM
- Inside Dolby’s big ‘Star Wars’ retrospective exhibition Tuesday 12:48 PM
An earnest libertarian unintentionally spawned a meme frenzy on Monday after arguing that Americans needed access to assault rifles for defense against herds of feral hogs roaming the countryside.
Twitter user Willie McNabb was weighing in on a debate over gun control happening on Twitter in the wake of this weekend’s mass shootings in El Paso, Texas, and Dayton, Ohio.
Singer Jason Isbell was blasting the dispute between gun control advocates and pro-gun activists over what constitutes an “assault weapon” as a semantic one intended to shy away from the real debate on whether they are appropriate for civilian use or necessary.
If you’re on here arguing the definition of “assault weapon” today you are part of the problem. You know what an assault weapon is, and you know you don’t need one.— Jason Isbell (@JasonIsbell) August 4, 2019
“Legit question,” McNabb, then interjected, before asking how Isbell proposed rural Americans defend their children from the feral hogs.
Legit question for rural Americans - How do I kill the 30-50 feral hogs that run into my yard within 3-5 mins while my small kids play?— William McNabb (@WillieMcNabb) August 4, 2019
McNabb was just one of hundreds of replies, but his quickly became the focus of other users, who quickly roasted his tweet with hog memes and outlandish solutions to his problem.
I leave my 5 year old sons to fend for themselves when the hogs come. I may have lost a few in the fighting but the ones that remain are stronger for it. Your children are weak and so are you.— Mr. Hotwife (@Suggins1) August 5, 2019
sorry boss can’t come in. 30-50 feral hogs came running into my yard again. yeah. about 3-5 mins. where my children play. yeah. see you tomorrow— beth mccoll (@imteddybless) August 5, 2019
You don't. They have the numbers. Surrender to the hogs— A Blue Bear (@BlueBear2487) August 5, 2019
And I will kill 30-50 feral hogs— Dylan Matthews (@dylanmatt) August 5, 2019
And I will 30-50 more
Just to be that man who killed 30-50 feral hogs
And leaves them at your door
Lots of people suggested that McNabb build a fence instead.
Tame a pig, have it infiltrate the feral hog society and revolutionize it from within.— Morgan Ross (@MorganBRoss) August 4, 2019
That, or a fence.
Or get a fence.— Neon Genesis MariWilliamson ⌬ (@delmoi) August 5, 2019
Build a fence lol— High Warlord of the Midwest (@dark_putout) August 5, 2019
McNabb did attempt to engage, explaining that he did not own an assault rifle, but the internet mob was not to be reasoned with and the memes kept coming—just like the hogs.
kids, edging towards the front door:— B. Bolander (@BBolander) August 5, 2019
kids, cautiously opening the front door:
Feral hogs: pic.twitter.com/yEKGxqvo7K
I have shot— czub / ズー (@mczub) August 5, 2019
that were in
they were 30-50
and so feral
when you see 30-50 feral hogs are on their way back to your yard pic.twitter.com/2OdTwZyYk4— Robby Kalland (@RKalland) August 5, 2019
I am a:— Ash (@BarbiturateCat) August 5, 2019
🔘 30-50 feral hogs
🔘 a yard with unsupervised small children to run in to within 3-5 minutes
Never try to argue anything online.
- MAGA bomber sentenced to 20 years in prison
- GOP lawmaker gets flamed by supporters for flirting with gun control
- Following El Paso shooting, Beto O’Rourke says ‘of course’ Trump is racist
Got five minutes? We’d love to hear from you. Help shape our journalism and be entered to win an Amazon gift card by filling out our 2019 reader survey.
David Gilmour is a reporter who specializes in national politics, internet culture, and technology.