- RIP: The best free trial in all of streaming entertainment Today 2:19 PM
- Which ‘Florida Man’ are you? Today 1:06 PM
- Hundreds of millions of Facebook passwords were accessible to employees Today 12:55 PM
- ‘Bitch I’m Bella Thorne’ morphs into TikTok dyslexia meme Today 12:17 PM
- Marvel is auctioning props and costumes from Netflix’s ‘Defenders’ franchise Today 12:12 PM
- Net neutrality advocates plan online watch party for the ‘Save the Internet’ Act Today 12:01 PM
- Tim Cook turns his iPad meme into an AirPod meme Today 11:46 AM
- Auschwitz Memorial asks visitors to stop taking playful photos at Holocaust site Today 11:33 AM
- The best Korean beauty products for $15 or less Today 10:50 AM
- PewDiePie’s reign as the No. 1 YouTuber seems to be over Today 10:43 AM
- Amazon’s ‘Hanna’ miniseries offers a more conventional take on the teen spy thriller Today 10:42 AM
- Conservative writer tweets about bombing a university after women are hired Today 10:16 AM
- YouTube star Ice Poseidon reportedly raided by FBI Today 10:11 AM
- Devin Nunes is threatening to sue more people who mock him on Twitter Today 10:10 AM
- The Economist faces blowback for asking if trans people should be sterilized Today 9:50 AM
Warning: Video contains violence, racial slurs.
A video of a child being bullied and having a gun pressed against his head has caused outrage and an investigation by local police.
The video was posted on Facebook by the victim’s aunt, who shared it with a local news station, looking for justice. “This is my 13 yr old nephew being bullied at gunpoint in broad daylight,” Becky Lea Sanders wrote.
This is my 13 yr old nephew being bullied at gunpoint in broad daylight… his mother took this video to the…
The video shows Derrin, who his mother says is on the autism spectrum, on his knees as he’s being taunted by what appears to be older teenagers. “You either kiss my feet or suck my d**k, n*****,” one teen can be heard saying, as another presses the muzzle of a handgun against Derrin’s forehead. The teen in front of him then demands that Derrin stand up, and begins punching him repeatedly. Throughout the video, Derrin tries to move away to safety and de-escalate the situation but is followed and assaulted again and again. Derrin later told his mother that the bullies also stole money from him.
Emily Bridges, Derrin’s mother, said that Derrin came home covered in bruises on Saturday. When she saw the video of what happened, she was enraged. She went to police, who she says initially dismissed her. “He just really said that they’re minors. There’s not a lot that happens to them,” Bridges said to Fox 4 KC. “They have to do community service. There’s not a lot. I should just keep Darren away from there and keep him at home.”
Things changed as the video went viral. On Tuesday, detectives began searching for 17-year-old Alexander Schader, the person believed to be the one pointing the gun at Derrin in the video. By the end of the day, Schader was in police custody, along with two other juveniles who were involved with the bullying but have not been identified. Bridges hopes the disturbing video of bullying will teach people a lesson, saying to Fox 4 KC, “I hope the other kids see this and see that those actions and those behaviors are not OK.”
H/T Fox 4 KC
Alex Dalbey is a writer and zinester currently working out of St. Paul, Minnesota. They have bylines at The Daily Dot, Kill Screen, and Bullet Points. Follow them on Twitter @thedialogtree