- ‘The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance’ dazzles with a timely tale 3 Years Ago
- The DOJ emailed a white nationalist blog post to immigration judges Today 5:31 PM
- The Amazon rainforest is on fire–and people are using memes to cope Today 4:11 PM
- Microsoft contractors listened in on Xbox users Today 2:15 PM
- Anti-vaxxer assaults pro-vaccine lawmaker on Facebook Live (updated) Today 2:15 PM
- Oreos licked by singer Lewis Capaldi are being auctioned off on eBay Today 1:54 PM
- Zach Braff predicted Sean Spicer would be on ‘Dancing With the Stars’ 2 years ago Today 1:38 PM
- NYPD sergeant who watched Eric Garner die punished with lost vacation days Today 1:27 PM
- Brie Larson haters have a meltdown over a joke about Thor’s hammer Today 1:26 PM
- This comedian attempted to make fun of women on Twitter—and it did not go over well Today 1:04 PM
- Logan Paul wants to help the Amazon rainforest Today 12:36 PM
- Nutaku announces redesign and filters for LGBTQ porn games Today 12:25 PM
- This video of dozens of inflatable mattresses taking off in the wind is perfect Today 12:20 PM
- Reddit mods restore Tiananmen Square image after censorship claims Today 12:18 PM
- Billie Eilish parody takes dad jokes to a whole new level Today 11:52 AM
The night after Donald Trump signed an executive order banning citizens from seven Muslim nations from entering the U.S.—a ban that has already begun legal fights—a mosque in Texas was burned down early Saturday morning.
According to the Victoria Advocate, firefighters arrived at the Islamic Center of Victoria at about 2 a.m. Saturday with the building already engulfed in flames.
ABC 13 reported that nobody had been injured.
Fire Marshal Tom Legler said there were no theories for why the fire began, and even though he said the building was burglarized a week earlier, Shahid Hashmi, president of the center, didn’t want to speculate either.
About 20 members of the mosque participated in early morning prayer Saturday on the sidewalk across the street from their destroyed place of worship.
“They said it … is a restricted area for now for the investigation,” Hashmi told the newspaper. “So, we just prayed right here on this” sidewalk.
The center announced it would hold a public prayer service open to the community on Sunday morning.
A GoFundMe page also has been established to rebuild the mosque. As of this writing, more than $67,000 of the $450,000 goal has been raised.
Update 5pm CT, Feb. 8: Federal investigators have ruled the Islamic Center of Victoria fire arson, although they say the evidence does not point to a “hate crime.”
Samantha Grasso is a former IRL staff writer for the Daily Dot with a reporting emphasis on immigration. Her work has appeared on Los Angeles Magazine, Death And Taxes, Revelist, Texts From Last Night, Austin Monthly, and she has previously contributed to Texas Monthly.