- ‘American Dirt’ is a metaphor for a white country built on the back of immigrants 2 Months Ago
- This woman told two students to ‘speak English’ and people are not having it Friday 9:53 PM
- Iconic 1968 drag documentary ‘The Queen’ finally released on Netflix Friday 9:29 PM
- This TikTok account for Chancellor Palpatine is hilarious Friday 8:43 PM
- Did the Space Force logo rip off Star Trek? Friday 6:24 PM
- Disabled people with service dogs say Uber, Lyft drivers are denying them rides Friday 3:25 PM
- TikTok teen famous for greasy hair ends her 8-year reign Friday 2:48 PM
- Police handcuff brown man at subway station for carrying a toy gun Friday 1:20 PM
- Fake clip of Sanders quoting infamous ‘hot chip’ tweet is duping people online Friday 1:16 PM
- The Mars Volta’s Cedric Bixler-Zavala alleges Scientologists behind dog’s death Friday 12:46 PM
- Eminem responds to critics: ‘This album was not made for the squeamish’ Friday 12:42 PM
- ‘The poet, the poem’ meme takes iconic lines and turns them into art Friday 12:40 PM
- People are making dark memes about the coronavirus Friday 12:27 PM
- Trump camp’s ‘head on a pike’ impeachment threat hit with memes Friday 11:34 AM
- What is the #FreeBritney movement, and why is Cher tweeting about it? Friday 10:52 AM
People are outraged over a video showing a student at the University of California, Berkeley using racial slurs and saying Black people, women, and LGBTQ people don’t deserve rights.
In the video, a young man is sitting on what looks like a dorm bed. As someone off-camera asks questions, the student starts talking about why he hates Black people and why he thinks they shouldn’t have rights.
“Have you heard how bad Black people are? I fucking hate them,” the man says.
The person off-camera then asks “Do you think they [Black people] should have the same rights as us?” to which the student replies, “I don’t think they should have rights at all. They’re like women.”
The video, originally posted to Snapchat, eventually made its way to Twitter where it was viewed over 3 million times. Users called for the student’s removal from the university.
honestly hella fucking disgusted this piece of shit roams our fucking school ?VV????3?:?:?: what the holy hell at black well halls y'all!!!!!! fuck these stupid ass mfs I'm fucking vomiting pic.twitter.com/YulJlfYmhc— ♡ BEST DAY MEIRAH DAY ♡ (@fridugh) December 6, 2019
In a statement shared with the Daily Dot on Friday, the university said it was aware of the video and understood people’s strong reactions to it.
“The campus is taking appropriate action in response to this video being posted on social media,” the statement said. “Due to federal laws and UC policy that protect student privacy, we do not discuss the situation of individual students.”
A Reddit user with the handle u/throwaway-berkeley claimed to be one of the students in the video and posted a statement pleading for “the chance to be forgiven.”
“The video was recorded when we weren’t in the clearest of minds,” the student said. “We recorded that originally as a joke and we impulsively posted it online. However, we quickly realized the problems and damages that this could have potentially caused, so I immediately took it down. I know that you are angry and mad at us, but we never truly meant the words that was said in the video.”
LMAO they posted their “APOLOGY” to Reddit 🤡 pic.twitter.com/CgJqmBIKy4— Kachi Thee ACTUAL Stallion (@GapToothGinny) December 6, 2019
H/T Mercury News
Collyn Burke is a senior journalism student at the University of Texas at Austin interning for the Daily Dot's editorial team and Two Girls One Podcast. Her work has previously appeared in the Daily Texan and the Texas Observer.