- 7-year-old YouTuber to get his own show on Nickelodeon Saturday 5:30 PM
- ‘Hipster’ jobs are trending, and Indeed says the market is booming Saturday 3:33 PM
- Trump meme removed after copyright complaint Saturday 2:15 PM
- Facebook pushes back against moderators complaining about ‘Big Brother’ environment Saturday 12:46 PM
- Twitter hid post from an account linked to Iran’s Supreme Leader Saturday 10:17 AM
- How to stream Leo Santa Cruz vs. Rafael Rivera for free Saturday 8:00 AM
- ‘Larry Charles’ Dangerous World of Comedy’ finds the balance between tragedy and comedy Saturday 7:30 AM
- How to stream Michael ‘Venom’ Page vs. Paul Daley for free Saturday 7:00 AM
- How to watch the NBA Dunk Contest 2019 online for free Saturday 6:50 AM
- The best new TV shows to stream this weekend Saturday 6:00 AM
- Bug lets Twitter save your DMs—even after you delete them Friday 7:21 PM
- Guy mansplains song to Japanese Breakfast, the female artist who wrote the song Friday 6:38 PM
- Ann Coulter’s Twitter bio links to a vulgar parody account Friday 5:22 PM
- Popular YouTube music channel gets income yanked for ‘repetitious’ content Friday 4:14 PM
- New website will endlessly generate fake faces thanks to AI Friday 3:41 PM
Instagram your pedicure with the hashtag #withoutshoes.
Today is not only Cinco de Mayo, it’s also the anniversary of the footwear company Toms. Instead of inundating your feeds with drunken selfies, the company is encouraging people on Instagram to post photos of their bare feet in exchange for a shoe donation to a child in need.
Toms wants its fans to participate in One Day Without Shoes, a 16 day-long initiative that hopes to raise awareness of children’s health and education. From May 5 to May 21, Instagram users can participate by snapping a photo of their feet sans footwear and tagging it with the hashtag #withoutshoes. For every Instagram photo of bare feet tagged, Toms will give their signature slip-on shoes to a child who needs them.
It’s only the first day of the humanitarian effort, and already the hashtag has more than 14,000 posts.
Good morning, my loves. 😊👐 Starting today until May 21st, @Toms will be giving a new pair of shoes to a child in need for every photo of bare feet on Instagram with the hashtag #withoutshoes. So go on then, peeps… Share the word (and your cute feet) with the world! Let’s see how many we can all get by the 21st! 💛😙 (Hashtag #tinalovestoms and then I’ll be able to see them too ☺️)
A photo posted by Tina Leung 梁伊妮 (@tinaleung) on
Toms has imposed a limit of one million pairs of shoes to give away and only one photo entry per user. So if you feel like being a good Samaritan for the price of an aptly-filtered photo of your toes, do it now. The total number of shoes given away will be announced on May 21.
Photo via bark/Flickr (CC BY 2.0)
Jam Kotenko is a technology reporter and graphic designer who specializes in coverage of Instagram, Facebook, and other social media apps. Her work has been published by Digital Trends, Bustle, and Gotta Be Mobile.