- How to stream WWE’s Clash of Champions 2019 Saturday 8:00 PM
- How ‘F*ck off Scotland’ became a Scottish rallying cry amid Brexit madness Saturday 6:28 PM
- A Missouri officer resigned after his Islamophobic Facebook posts surfaced Saturday 5:08 PM
- Adding ‘Triggered’ to stock photos of white men creates Netflix comedy special thumbnails Saturday 3:10 PM
- New restaurant in New York has a seriously unfortunate name: ‘Qanoon’ Saturday 1:38 PM
- These are the 10 best ‘Star Wars’ ships Saturday 12:41 PM
- Google Maps helped solve a decades-old missing persons case Saturday 12:27 PM
- Teen who plotted deadly swatting prank over Call of Duty argument gets prison time Saturday 11:58 AM
- RIP to the real star of ‘Stranger Things’: Steve Harrington’s mullet Saturday 11:04 AM
- People are sharing their wholesome stories with #Hey19YearOldMe Saturday 9:20 AM
- Review: The Joule is a pricey, sleek, easy-to-use entry into sous vide Saturday 8:00 AM
- How to stream Saints vs. Rams in NFL Week 2 action Saturday 8:00 AM
- How to stream Cowboys vs. Redskins in Week 2 action Saturday 7:30 AM
- How to stream Steelers vs. Seahawks in Week 2 NFL action Saturday 7:30 AM
- Netflix’s ‘Unbelievable’ examines the nature of victimhood and the long road to justice Saturday 7:30 AM
If you Instagram your bare feet, Toms will give a needy child shoes
Instagram your pedicure with the hashtag #withoutshoes.
Today is not only Cinco de Mayo, it’s also the anniversary of the footwear company Toms. Instead of inundating your feeds with drunken selfies, the company is encouraging people on Instagram to post photos of their bare feet in exchange for a shoe donation to a child in need.
Toms wants its fans to participate in One Day Without Shoes, a 16 day-long initiative that hopes to raise awareness of children’s health and education. From May 5 to May 21, Instagram users can participate by snapping a photo of their feet sans footwear and tagging it with the hashtag #withoutshoes. For every Instagram photo of bare feet tagged, Toms will give their signature slip-on shoes to a child who needs them.
It’s only the first day of the humanitarian effort, and already the hashtag has more than 14,000 posts.
Good morning, my loves. 😊👐 Starting today until May 21st, @Toms will be giving a new pair of shoes to a child in need for every photo of bare feet on Instagram with the hashtag #withoutshoes. So go on then, peeps… Share the word (and your cute feet) with the world! Let’s see how many we can all get by the 21st! 💛😙 (Hashtag #tinalovestoms and then I’ll be able to see them too ☺️)
A photo posted by Tina Leung 梁伊妮 (@tinaleung) on
Toms has imposed a limit of one million pairs of shoes to give away and only one photo entry per user. So if you feel like being a good Samaritan for the price of an aptly-filtered photo of your toes, do it now. The total number of shoes given away will be announced on May 21.
Photo via bark/Flickr (CC BY 2.0)
Jam Kotenko is a technology reporter and graphic designer who specializes in coverage of Instagram, Facebook, and other social media apps. Her work has been published by Digital Trends, Bustle, and Gotta Be Mobile.