- Kim Kardashian says Kylie Jenner’s setting spray is ‘cheap sh*t’ 5 Years Ago
- Trump continues to demand Apple unlock iPhones for the government 5 Years Ago
- Police officer suspended after video of a handcuffed Delonte West surfaces 5 Years Ago
- ‘Girls don’t want a boyfriend’ meme leaves boyfriends in 2019 5 Years Ago
- Are these tweets about ‘The Bachelor’ or Trump’s impeachment? Today 10:45 AM
- Likely file Saudi prince sent to Jeff Bezos’ to hack his phone revealed Today 10:10 AM
- Will Olivia Jade have to testify against her mother, Lori Loughlin, in bribery trial? Today 10:07 AM
- Gina Rodriguez slammed for promoting ‘American Dirt’ Today 9:26 AM
- Netflix says ‘The Witcher’ is its biggest show. Is it really? Today 8:59 AM
- Tulsi Gabbard sues Hillary Clinton for podcast comments Today 8:53 AM
- Lizzo reps Beyoncé’s Ivy Park collection in adult-themed TikTok Today 7:58 AM
- Netflix’s ‘Eye for an Eye’ is a fun but messy thriller about revenge Today 7:00 AM
- Which 2020 Democratic candidates post the most cringe? Today 6:30 AM
- The new ‘Hunger Games’ book paints President Snow as a hero—and people are not happy Tuesday 9:03 PM
- Influencer called out for ‘troubling image’ with Kenyan child Tuesday 8:18 PM
Did you know that gardens can have a sexual orientation? According to one woman’s homophobic neighbor, they can!
Julie Baker received an unpleasant surprise when a neighbor of hers left a note in regard to her garden. Now she’s launching an online fundraiser to get back at him.
“I opened my door, and found a note from my neighbor regarding a set of rainbow jar solar lights hanging in my yard that spell out ‘Love’ and ‘Ohana,’” Baker wrote on her GoFundMe page.
“They informed me that the neighborhood is ‘christian’ and has ‘children’ and asked me to stop being ‘relentlessly gay’….”
Here is a photo of the actual note, complete with bizarre capitalization.
Instead of cowering to the demands of her ridiculous neighbors, Baker took the opposite approach. “Needless to say…I need more rainbows… Many, many more rainbows….”
She’s hoping to make her home and garden even more “relentlessly gay,” as if that were a real thing. “If we go high enough, I will see if I can get a Rainbow Roof!” she mused.
So far, she’s raised more than $3,000 and is inching ever closer to her $5,000 goal.
Supporters have posted hilarious and encouraging messages for Baker.
“If I lived in Baltimore I’d volunteer to come over in full drag and help you decorate!” one wrote.
“I have no money to send, but, I’m sending much rainbow-y & gay vibes & energy your way!” wrote another.
The widow and mother of four children closed by saying: “I WILL NOT Relent to Hatred. Instead, I will battle it with whimsy and beauty and laughter and love, wrapped around my home, yard and family!!! Thanks for your relentlessly gay support! Relentlessly!!!”
Photo via bluesbby/Flickr (CC BY 2.0)
Marisa Kabas is a lifestyle reporter and activist. Her work has been published by Fusion, Fast Company, and Today. She’s also served as an editorial campaigns director for Purpose PBC, a social movement incubator.