- The horror game banned for mocking China’s president probably isn’t coming back 3 Years Ago
- Cheap vibrators, condoms, and lube: The most satisfying Amazon Prime Day deals 3 Years Ago
- George R.R. Martin says fan backlash won’t affect his ‘Game of Thrones’ ending 3 Years Ago
- The very finest Area 51 memes 3 Years Ago
- Tweet map ranks states where people are boycotting Amazon Prime Day Today 1:54 PM
- Lil Nas X says he will perform at Area 51 for free Today 12:56 PM
- The best Prime Day deals for gamers Today 12:53 PM
- How Republicans are dancing around Trump’s racist tweets Today 12:42 PM
- Not even anti-immigrant groups are defending Trump’s ‘go back’ tweets Today 12:37 PM
- Netflix’s latest chase thriller ‘Point Blank’ lacks electricity Today 12:27 PM
- Jay Inslee floats Megan Rapinoe as his secretary of state pick Today 11:33 AM
- The cast list for the ‘Kingsman’ prequel movie looks totally nuts Today 11:17 AM
- The best Prime Day deals to heat up your kitchen Today 11:16 AM
- YouTuber Emily Hartridge killed in electric scooter crash Today 10:50 AM
- Is Lashana Lynch really playing 007 in the new Bond movie? Today 10:33 AM
‘R. Kelly is trending for exactly the reason you would expect.’
Over the course of his career, R. Kelly has been sued for having sexual relations with underage girls, was illegally married to 15-year-old singer Aaliyah, and was indicted on multiple counts of child pornography. Now, the 49-year-old artist is dating a 19-year-old, and the collective voice of the internet went “Ew, not again.”
R. Kelly was reportedly spotted with his new girlfriend in Atlanta this weekend, and yes, she’s above the age of consent, but it doesn’t do anything to help his reputation as a sexual predator. Either way, Twitter is having a fun time dragging him.
When R. Kelly’s albums are older than his girlfriend.
— Steven Nguyen ⚓️ (@St3v3nz) August 8, 2016
R. Kelly is trending for exactly the reason you would expect
— Christina Warren (@film_girl) August 8, 2016
R. Kelly wrote “Age Aint nothing but a Number” for Aaliyah when she was 15. That should tell you everything you need to know
— Adrien Boner (@Notufatjesus_) August 8, 2016
A few people are bringing into question what an “appropriate” age gap would be, and that Kelly has never been convicted of statutory rape or child pornography. But the American justice system is flawed, and stripped of any legal power, Twitter roasting is all we have.
Jaya Saxena is a lifestyle writer and editor whose work focuses primarily on women's issues and web culture. Her writing has appeared in GQ, ELLE, the Toast, the New Yorker, Tthe Hairpin, BuzzFeed, Racked, Eater, Catapult, and others. She is the co-author of 'Dad Magazine,' the author of 'The Book Of Lost Recipes,' and the co-author of 'Basic Witches.'