- What we learned when we visited Mr. B, America’s chonkiest cat Today 1:46 PM
- Trump’s new plan to fight opioid overdose? This tweet Today 1:06 PM
- Fitness influencer shamed for ‘sharing numbers’ in weight loss posts Today 1:04 PM
- The VSCO Girl has always been here Today 1:01 PM
- Tomi Lahren’s new ‘Freedom’ clothing line is made for meme mockery Today 12:21 PM
- Taylor Swift’s ‘London Boy’ is a bop, but Brits don’t think her lyrics are accurate Today 12:02 PM
- Popeyes blasted for employee welfare amid chicken sandwich war Today 11:59 AM
- Cory Booker says nonbinary ‘niephew’ taught him about trans issues Today 11:53 AM
- Megachurch pushes conversion therapy on Instagram, Facebook with #OnceGay Today 11:11 AM
- Christian movie review site blasts Netflix’s ‘The Family’ Today 10:50 AM
- YouTube removes ‘coordinated’ channels spreading Hong Kong misinformation Today 8:58 AM
- Christina Hendricks reveals she was the hand model for ‘American Beauty’ Today 8:30 AM
- Why can’t independent feminist websites stay afloat? Today 8:17 AM
- Far-right troll Jacob Wohl scammed a Trump fan out of $25,000 (updated) Today 7:54 AM
- How to stream Browns vs. Buccaneers in key preseason action Today 7:02 AM
Warning: Graphic video.
A horrifying video has captured a Boston Police vehicle running over a one-year-old girl, who has reportedly sustained collar-bone injuries.
Surveillance video from the incident, which took place on Monday evening in Boston, shows the child emerging in front of the police car as it slowly pulls out of street-side parking. After the car pulls away, the one-year-old is seen tumbling out from underneath the car.
Boston police runs over a 1-year-old with a cruiser. As the girl recovers from a broken collar bone an investigation has been launched. pic.twitter.com/cqeivzuUK1— zellie (@zellieimani) May 23, 2019
After the officer runs her over, a person immediately runs toward the child from across the street to swoop her up. A woman who was behind the car parked in front of the police car also runs toward the child, then after the police car. Within seconds, two officers are seen arriving at the scene.
The girl suffered a broken collar bone, according to WBZ, and is “just asking for a speedy recovery,” her mother said.
Police are investigating to determine what happened, though according to Boston Police Commissioner William G. Gross, a preliminary investigation suggests it was an accident. He said such an incident is “any police officers’ worst nightmare.”
“She’s still recovering, and God bless her. From what we could ascertain, it’s definitely an accident, and we’re working with the family,” Gross said. “It’s just a tragic accident.”
A witness told WHDH that the officer behind the wheel was visibly shook: “He was very upset and you could tell he was in shock. I think he was crying.”
Mayor Martin J. Walsh says his heart goes out to the child. “When you see a little person get hit by a car like that, it’s horrible,” he said, according to WHDH.
Samira Sadeque is a New York-based journalist reporting on immigration, sexual violence, and mental health, and will sometimes write about memes and dinosaurs too. Her work also appears in Reuters, NPR, and NBC among other publications. She graduated from Columbia Journalism School, and her work has been nominated for SAJA awards. Follow: @Samideque