- Boys’ sleepovers vs. girls’ sleepovers meme takes stereotypes to absurd heights Tuesday 7:30 PM
- Petition wants Keanu Reeves to be named ‘Time Person of the Year’ Tuesday 6:33 PM
- 8 women accuse Max Landis of sexual, emotional abuse Tuesday 5:37 PM
- Taylor Swift accused of copying Beyoncé—again Tuesday 5:00 PM
- Everything you need to know about Libra, Facebook’s new cryptocurrency Tuesday 4:45 PM
- Netflix just renewed ‘Queer Eye’ for 2 more seasons Tuesday 4:32 PM
- YouTube’s queen of failed robots just unveiled a one-of-a-kind Tesla truck Tuesday 3:58 PM
- AOC infuriates conservatives with ‘concentration camps’ remark Tuesday 3:33 PM
- TikTok users explore identity with Lin Manuel Miranda-inspired meme Tuesday 3:24 PM
- TikTok apology video inspires new duet meme Tuesday 2:51 PM
- Man sues brewery after identifying as female to get beer discount Tuesday 2:31 PM
- Here’s what’s coming and going on Hulu in July 2019 Tuesday 2:22 PM
- This biotech company’s logo is almost straight out of Resident Evil Tuesday 1:26 PM
- Trump says mass deportations to start next week Tuesday 12:28 PM
- GOP pollster bothered by broken elevator in Austria blames socialism Tuesday 10:50 AM
Cop arrested for recording man’s genitals, forcing mentally ill man to twerk
Las Vegas police officer Rachel Sorkow was arrested on multiple felony police misconduct charges after it was discovered that she had been recording videos of suspects in deeply degrading scenarios and sharing them with friends.
According to the Root, Sorkow was charged on March 14 with a litany of crimes dating back nearly two years in her time as an officer. She allegedly used her position to look up private information, including addresses and criminal records of potential romantic partners for her civilian friends, at least 19 times. One of these included giving information to a felon on whether he was being followed by police, and another involved revealing the names of children in a child abuse investigation.
According to the Las Vegas Sun, Sorkow has been on leave since December when her phone was seized and videos were found of her mocking and demeaning civilians. In one video, she makes a mentally ill person twerk, saying in the video, “I just want to see you dougie [sic] and twerk and then we’re good.” In another video, while responding to a domestic violence report, Sorkow mocks an intoxicated woman, asking if she’s considered being on My 600-lb Life and making her lift up her shirt on camera.
- We need to change the way we talk about police killing Black people
- Viral #BBQBeckys and #CouponCarls are the new slave patrols
- White woman who called the cops on Black people barbecuing is now a meme
Another video shows her recording a man’s penis through a hole in his pants and calling him the N-word once he was inside the police cruiser; another shows Sorkow force-feeding candy to a man in handcuffs while joking that she is “partners with the community, feeding criminals gummy bears.” In the video, she commands the man to “open your mouth, eat it!” When investigators confronted her about the video, she reportedly said, “That’s just who I am, I like joking, I joke all the time.” She reportedly claimed to just be joking for several of the videos and even laughed when shown some of them by detectives.
Sorkow has been dismissed from her job and was released from jail after posting $5,000 bail.
H/T the Root
Alex Dalbey is a writer and zinester currently living in Saint Paul, Minnesota. They have written for The Daily Dot, Kill Screen, The Lingerie Addict, and Bullet Points.