- Gendry is making a new weapon for Arya Stark—but what is it? 1 Month Ago
- The live-action Halo series could be Showtime’s most ambitious project yet 1 Month Ago
- How to watch Turner Classic Movies for free Today 5:30 AM
- How to watch Real Madrid vs. Athletic Bilbao online for free Today 5:00 AM
- ‘Star Trek’s Jonathan Frakes calls out your lies with this new meme Saturday 3:46 PM
- #JusticeForLucca trends after video shows police slam Black teen’s head into pavement Saturday 3:11 PM
- The internet is shocked to learn that Goombas do, in fact, have arms Saturday 2:02 PM
- PayPal, GoFundMe cut off armed militia that detains migrants at border Saturday 1:16 PM
- Barnwood theft may be on the rise because of ‘Fixer Upper’—and fans aren’t having it Saturday 12:23 PM
- Literary Twitter calls out Dzanc Books for Islamophobic, racist novel Saturday 11:40 AM
- How to watch Crawford vs. Khan online Saturday 10:00 AM
- Beyoncé has 2 more projects coming to Netflix after ‘Homecoming’ Saturday 9:53 AM
- How to watch Danny Garcia vs. Adrian Granados for free Saturday 9:00 AM
- The ‘Feeling Cute Challenge’ turns ugly after correctional officers abuse it Saturday 7:30 AM
- How to watch ‘How High 2’ for free Saturday 7:00 AM
Cop arrested for recording man’s genitals, forcing mentally ill man to twerk
Las Vegas police officer Rachel Sorkow was arrested on multiple felony police misconduct charges after it was discovered that she had been recording videos of suspects in deeply degrading scenarios and sharing them with friends.
According to the Root, Sorkow was charged on March 14 with a litany of crimes dating back nearly two years in her time as an officer. She allegedly used her position to look up private information, including addresses and criminal records of potential romantic partners for her civilian friends, at least 19 times. One of these included giving information to a felon on whether he was being followed by police, and another involved revealing the names of children in a child abuse investigation.
According to the Las Vegas Sun, Sorkow has been on leave since December when her phone was seized and videos were found of her mocking and demeaning civilians. In one video, she makes a mentally ill person twerk, saying in the video, “I just want to see you dougie [sic] and twerk and then we’re good.” In another video, while responding to a domestic violence report, Sorkow mocks an intoxicated woman, asking if she’s considered being on My 600-lb Life and making her lift up her shirt on camera.
- We need to change the way we talk about police killing Black people
- Viral #BBQBeckys and #CouponCarls are the new slave patrols
- White woman who called the cops on Black people barbecuing is now a meme
Another video shows her recording a man’s penis through a hole in his pants and calling him the N-word once he was inside the police cruiser; another shows Sorkow force-feeding candy to a man in handcuffs while joking that she is “partners with the community, feeding criminals gummy bears.” In the video, she commands the man to “open your mouth, eat it!” When investigators confronted her about the video, she reportedly said, “That’s just who I am, I like joking, I joke all the time.” She reportedly claimed to just be joking for several of the videos and even laughed when shown some of them by detectives.
Sorkow has been dismissed from her job and was released from jail after posting $5,000 bail.
H/T the Root
Alex Dalbey is a writer and zinester currently working out of St. Paul, Minnesota. They have bylines at The Daily Dot, Kill Screen, and Bullet Points. Follow them on Twitter @thedialogtree